Blather, Waffle and Poppycock!

Started by Leon, 24 February 2013, 05:21:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Techno

Quote from: Techno on 04 August 2020, 10:48:59 PM
Hopefully it WAS a tragic accident.

Good grief !....Seeing the pictures today. :o :(

Thousands injured.....100+ killed (I fear that total will rise and rise, and rise)....How many missing ?....They surely won't find them all. Without wishing to seem ghoulish.....Some poor souls really close, when it went off, must have been virtually vaporised.

Truly awful situation. :(

Phil

Steve J

With the economy already on its knees, God only knows how long it will take to re-build things. Just imagine trying to replace all of the broken windows, even in somewhere like Bristol. It would take months and months, assuming you could get the glass and the frames :(.

Raider4

05 August 2020, 10:20:05 AM #2492 Last Edit: 05 August 2020, 10:22:03 AM by Raider4
Aye, but did you see that bridge that collapsed in Genoa two years has already had a replacement built?

If that happened in the UK the rubble would still be in place, and a replacement would be about eight years in the future.

Same thing happened in Japan a few years ago. Road was badly damaged by an earthquake, and six days(!) later it was repaired good as new.

Although agreed, Beirut will take a lot longer to get back to normal, I expect.

FierceKitty

There is nothing the Japanese can't do, except perhaps say "squirrel" confidently.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

hammurabi70

Quote from: Techno on 05 August 2020, 07:52:35 AM
Good grief !....Seeing the pictures today. :o :(

Thousands injured.....100+ killed (I fear that total will rise and rise, and rise)....How many missing ?....They surely won't find them all. Without wishing to seem ghoulish.....Some poor souls really close, when it went off, must have been virtually vaporised.

Truly awful situation. :(

Phil

Appalling. Not sure about the power but as I understand it about 60 times the weight of the biggest WWI mine that was fired. No surprise that it was audible in Cyprus.

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Photo of crater doing the rounds now...  :o
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Duke Speedy of Leighton

2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Techno

I want to use the word 'awesome' to describe that explosion and its aftermath.......But definitely not in the way I'd normally use that particular word. (I hope you all understand that.)

I truly can't 'get my head around' how powerful that blast must have been. :(.....Sheesh ! :(

Phil.

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

It did look totally aewful (C17th usage) - I'm wondering if was an LPG ship going bang, looked very close to that tanker
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Steve J

Ithoriel

Quote from: hammurabi70 on 04 August 2020, 11:27:38 PM
I lost 10 pounds in the first month after retirement and an additional 10 pounds during the next eleven months.

Recommendations:

* Have a daily exercise routine; it doesn't need to be fantastic, mine is 10 minutes on a static bike plus some pilates routines involving light weights, I found the routines via the internet.  Doing it every day slowly improves your physique.
* Minimise red meat and have lots of chicken and fish; a work colleague once lost half a stone simply by avoiding red meat.
* Have a firm routine for meals, and alcohol, and find alternative stress release.  A good find has been the small wine bottles, 15% more expensive but it allows controlled drinking and avoids having to deal with a 70/75cl bottle.
* Get a daily dose of fresh air and exercise, my choice is gardening.

I have an exercise routine .... I get out of bed, get washed and dressed and run or ride around Tamriel for four or five hours :-)

My sleep routine is much the same - I go to bed sometime between midnight and 8am, I sleep for 8 hours (give or take 20 minutes either side) and despite the inevitable 30 - 300 seconds of double vision I get when I wake from sleep of any duration I feel better than I did immediately before going to bed.

I'm a vegetarian ... and lots of things are vegetarian despite containing much sugar and fat. I like my carrots in a cake, preferably one I made myself and coated thickly in cream cheese frosting!

My routine for eating is, if I'm hungry I eat. That usually means two meals a day and a sweet snack. My weekly alcohol intake has almost doubled from 1.5 units per week to 2.5.

I live in a city, there is no "fresh" air, only varying levels of pollution.

As to gardening, the idea that some humans think they have a better idea of what should grow outside their house than nature does is a bewilderment to me but in the interest of neighbourly relations I pay money into a monthly fund to have two of these people turn up and undo all the good work nature has done since their last visit in the area around our houses.

To be more serious, I have no problem losing weight. The problem is I do it by thinking,"What can I eat, when can I eat it?" The moment I'm not on a diet the answer becomes,"Whatever you like, right now!"
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Back to the news, the BBC have an interactie before and after slider!
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-53670839

Steve J

Wow, that really brings home the level of devastation that blast caused!

Techno

Awwwwwwww.....NO ! X_X X_X X_X X_X X_X :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

A feral cat has 'just' turned up.....Must have been round for a good 'few days', because of the racket the magpies have ben making early in the morning for the past couple of weeks.

95%+ chance that it's  female.....'Cos of its colouring (Trust me....I know this sort of thing)..No doubt that it will produce a whole litter of kittens....And Von will want to feed the whole lot of them.)

I want my life back.

Keep your mice down though....what language is it meowing, it could be a refugee from Beruit
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021