Blather, Waffle and Poppycock!

Started by Leon, 24 February 2013, 05:21:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duke Speedy of Leighton

As my wife has recently found out, poaching eggs in a microwave can be rather...
Ballistic9
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Westmarcher

Quote from: Techno on 31 December 2019, 11:28:03 AM
That makes me wonder....Could you poach an egg and then 'fast freeze it'....So it only needs to be microwaved ? (and that's why they'd 'run out' ?)

I knew someone would ask (I wondered myself). According to this guy (see link), you can pre-poach them and store them in the fridge for up to 5 days 'without any loss in quality' when you re-heat them. If you freeze them, apparently the white of the egg will be rubbery and not taste so good. The yolk is unlikely to be runny and will be more like a hard boiled egg.  Somehow, I don't think Gordon Ramsay in Kitchen Nightmares would approve and makes you wonder how fresh the food is at Wetherspoons.  :-B

https://www.seriouseats.com/2014/10/the-food-lab-how-to-poach-eggs-for-a-party.html

Quote from: Techno on 31 December 2019, 11:28:03 AM
'Lunch' at Techno Towers, for the past few weeks (plus) has been home grown poached eggs.

You grow poached eggs?   :P
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Westmarcher

Quote from: mad lemmey on 31 December 2019, 01:02:22 PM
As my wife has recently found out, poaching eggs in a microwave can be rather...
Ballistic9

#-o #-o #-o ;D
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Techno

Quote from: Westmarcher on 31 December 2019, 01:10:36 PM
You grow poached eggs?   :P

Doesn't everybody ?  ;)

(Von still won't let me put an egg (in the shell) in the microwave and give it full power for a minute.......Or do the experiment where you get a ball of 'plasma'  zipping around the inside of the microwave....I'm not allowed to have any fun.  :()

Cheers - Phil

Orcs

31 December 2019, 01:44:53 PM #2134 Last Edit: 31 December 2019, 01:59:42 PM by Orcs
Quote from: Techno on 31 December 2019, 01:25:32 PM
Doesn't everybody ?  ;)

(Von still won't let me put an egg (in the shell) in the microwave and give it full power for a minute.......Or do the experiment where you get a ball of 'plasma'  zipping around the inside of the microwave....I'm not allowed to have any fun.  :()

Cheers - Phil

How Mean !  I think you should stand up for yourself and explain that not are you a grown man but the head of the household and you will do as you please.......afterall you have plently of straw in the stable to bed down in.  :)
The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

Westmarcher

Quote from: Techno on 31 December 2019, 01:25:32 PM
Doesn't everybody ?  ;)

(Von still won't let me put an egg (in the shell) in the microwave and give it full power for a minute.......Or do the experiment where you get a ball of 'plasma'  zipping around the inside of the microwave....I'm not allowed to have any fun.  :()

;D  Ooooh! I've never tried that.   8)   :d   :D

Techno

I wasn't even allowed to do that with a really old/kn*ckered microwave (that still 'worked') in the yard.......Far enough from the house so as not to cause a worry (Probably). :-\

I AM doing that one day.......The next time we have an old microwave that's due to go to 'the tip'......And Von's not around to stop me.  :D

It's the plasma ball that I really want to try and achieve.

Cheers - Phil. :D

Westmarcher

Won't you have to build a bunker and a fall-out shelter first?  :P

Techno

Got one/both already. :P

(I really have.....Though it would be rather than a teeny bit wiffy....YUK ! :-&)

Cheers - Phil

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

Phil in your case can we blame Von, you'd electrocute or cook yourself !
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Techno

No, Ian...... ;)

Knowing my good fortune, I'd miss any 'shrapnel' from the microwave.

One day my luck will run out...... X_X  ;)

Cheers - Phil

fsn

07 January 2020, 08:31:43 AM #2141 Last Edit: 07 January 2020, 10:18:26 AM by fsn
Yers .... anyway, I was looking at my spreadsheet yesterday, contemplating planned/purchased and purchased/painted ratios, and It's all looking pretty good. I have in most areas about 80%-90% (some cases over 90%) of purchases painted ... then I spotted the cavalry figure. 24%!

Oh dear! What's gone on there?

A little investigation showed that the lack was in the Napoleonics. I have a considerable lead range of mountains that area the bits of 5 different armies (none of them French BTW), and not a single one painted.

Why is this? On reflection, it's a case of pretty poor planning preventing proper performance. My planned Napoleonic armies are quite large (1000 figures), and I don't lay paint to figure until all purchases are made. The not-kickstarter has thrown me somewhat, as I have been diverted into purchasing Confederation of the Rhine instead of finishing off my Brits ... which is also a problem because my planned armies are taken from OOBs and I keep dithering between the Anglo-Allied army of 1815 and a late Peninsula army.

My plan then, is to be focused on my purchasing this year. No Samurai for Nobby until at least one Napoleonic army is purchased and painted. I shall use the time to finish off those half complete projects (e.g. Flodden English, Arab Medieval).

The other issue for me is lack of confidence in may painting. I'm not the greatest brushman, and I think the horse and musket armies pose a particular set of issues ... and I want them to look good. I may just have to dive in and give it a go.

What's the worst that could happen?
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

paulr

Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Techno

Sir,

I notice with dismay that a plane traveling from America to our fair shores, has claimed the record for the fastest subsonic flight across the Atlantic.
How is it, that this wind assisted flight can claim a record, when any records set by athletes with a tailwind of anything remotely approaching 10 mph* are discounted ?

Yours - Puzzled of Wales

(I think 4 metres a second comes out to slightly less than than 10mph...But it was early when I worked this out.) ;)

Thought you only used cubits Phil...
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021