Blather, Waffle and Poppycock!

Started by Leon, 24 February 2013, 05:21:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sunjester

I have several of those games in my collection too!

Techno

Normal service will be resumed at the earliest opportunity.

With the MIL safely, and happily in a care home...Von and I are taking back the rest of Techno Towers.

Today has been a day of moving all the computer gubbins downstairs......Disconnecting miles of knotted cables....Cleaning SO MUCH dust from the PC's inlets...and wiring it all up again, downstairs.

It went very well...apart from me plugging in the lightning protectors the wrong way up....

But that was easily sorted.......Until BT decided that I was doing something suspicious and asked me for passwords. X_X

All done now..apart from the fact that i haven't got a chair in front of the screen, at the mo'......and I've got cables running down the stairs.

Cheers - Phil ;)

d_Guy

Glad things are mutual and comfortably sorted at the moment, Techno.
Gubbins! What a fun word!  Thanks!
Sleep with clean hands ...

paulr

Great to hear MIL is safe and happy :)
It will be a great relief for all of you

Take care on those stairs X_X
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Techno

Will do, Paul. ;)

The cable's temporarily there so the PC will work downstairs....until I get BT to move the extension properly.
It doesn't get in the way too much.  :)

All that's left to do now is bring the desk downstairs...Once I've cleaned all the garbage from the drawers. X_X

I've told Leon that it's a shame I don't live closer to Middlesbrough...I could have donated at least a pot of usable white metal, with all the figures I've already binned.
(These were complete odds & sods which I'll never use....But for some reason had kept !!  ;D ;D ;D)

Glad you liked the word 'gubbins', Bill. ;D

Cheers - Phil

Westmarcher

Quote from: Techno on 09 September 2019, 07:23:06 AM

The cable's temporarily there so the PC will work downstairs....until I get BT to move the extension properly.

I'm a tad wary about recommending this, given your track record, Phil, :P  but if it's only an extension, you might find it'll be quicker and cheaper if you do it yourself. You can buy all sorts of telephone cable stuff (e.g., connectors, extra cable, sockets, etc.) in a good number of DIY stores these days. If I can do it (which I have - even to the extent of concealing the cabling by routing it under the floor, through the loft and some inexpensive trunking), I'm sure a resourceful chap like yourself can.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Techno

Hi Davy.

I haven't quite decided which will be the 'best method' to achieve what we want. :-\......There are a few options

I'm certainly capable of wiring the extension from the junction box on the wall outside*....either running cable into the annexe....or simply switching over the wires that go to the MIL's old BT socket, as the wiring's still there.

That means going up a ladder tho'....and as you say.....with my track record. X_X ;)

Cheers - Phil.   *If I haven't said before.....I was a BT engineer before I worked for the Evil Empire. ;)

paulr

I don't recall you saying that while I've been on the forum :)

It certainly explains your technical skills ;)

Westmarcher

...... a man of many talents.*

*photographer, musician, telephone repair man, sculptor, stunt-man ......
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Thank you whoever left three full cans of Skol super strength in my garden last night...
Not sure if this a good thing or not@  ;D
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Techno

Quote from: paulr on 10 September 2019, 07:42:12 AM
I don't recall you saying that while I've been on the forum :)
It certainly explains your technical skills ;)

Will & Leon know that I am doing something 'technical' at the mo'  :P

As far as understanding computers tho'.....FORGET IT !  ;D ;D

Cheers - Phil

Techno

I can't work under these conditions. X_X

The new 'hobby room' is all but sorted now.......and I can't cope with how big it is compared to the old room.........And it's SO clean and neat.....(Obscenely so, at the moment).

The only drawer back so far, has been having to reject a cabinet which was going to be the 'store'....To keep as much crud out of the way, as possible.
Don't quite know how we managed to get it from the upstairs, in the pole barn....
It was particularly heavy.......And once it was 'out'.....We discovered it had woodworm.....So That's not coming into the house !

I can also have my proper stereo (which has been under the stairs for the last 15 years) up and running again.
I'll be able to treat 'the valley' to the delights of that blasting out at 150wpc.  :d :d :d :d (That's if the speakers are still OK.)

One other job today is removing a dead sheep from one of the fields.....What fun !! .. X_X...

Cheers - Phil

paulr

Last Hussar

Quote from: mad lemmey on 10 September 2019, 12:15:20 PM
Thank you whoever left three full cans of Skol super strength in my garden last night...
Not sure if this a good thing or not@  ;D

Depends what they were filled with...
I have neither the time or the crayons to explain why you are wrong.

GNU PTerry