Blather, Waffle and Poppycock!

Started by Leon, 24 February 2013, 05:21:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

I missed one - Sub-Lt Phillips giving the helm orders - "Left hand down a bit"......
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Techno

Some good/interesting and even frightening points, chaps.....Thanks.  :)

WILL be interesting to hear the outcome of the 'investigation'.
I must admit, I had  the vision of some completely automated system that went ape (like a red alert on Star Trek) if there was any hint of a problem. (Especially on a modern warship)

Cheers - Phil

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Techno

Just seen that on the Beeb, Will.....I knew about the other collision that Westie mentioned, but hadn't realised that this was the fourth (did I hear that correctly ?) incident involving American ships in the past few months.

Cheers - Phil.

fsn

How do you do this with an oil tanker?
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Because they have a keel bulge containing bow thrusters at the front, which extends forward, then a bow take above, possibly?
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=KpMKKygINkw

There goes the no-claims bonus!
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

fsn

21 August 2017, 09:46:18 PM #1236 Last Edit: 21 August 2017, 09:51:44 PM by fsn
 :o

Surprised the warship survived!

I thought they sort of bumped side on side. That looks like a ramming.

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015

I suspect that warships are still designed to be manoeuvrable with 2 compartments open to the sea.
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

paulr

22 August 2017, 10:46:23 PM #1238 Last Edit: 22 August 2017, 10:49:44 PM by paulr
Unfortunately it looks like some of the 'missing' have been found in the flooded areas of the ship :(

17 US Sailors have died this year in the Pacific area in accidental collisions with civilian vessels :( :( :(
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

fsn

I'm not setting off any conspiracy theories here, but in the photo does that look like a Harpoon has been fired?

Duke Speedy of Leighton

No, the cover will have come off with the collision

Albie Bach

23 August 2017, 10:43:02 AM #1241 Last Edit: 23 August 2017, 11:42:07 AM by Albie Bach
Looks like, in theory at least, the American ship had right of way but the oil tanker is about three times as long so I suspect some petulance was involved. I don't believe they didn't know each other were there. Must have been a fairly low speed collision.
According to Aljazeera the flooded areas included crew berths, and it was 05:24.
Sadly no longer with us - RIP (2018)

Techno

An abrupt change of subject !

As I mentioned, the other day, we had to have one of the ponies 'put to sleep' a week or so ago. :(
As  it was an 'out of hours' call, I was expecting THAT part to be the most costly bit of the bill. (£60)

Oh, No !

The previous time we had to 'say goodbye' to a pony, the lethal injection drug cost £14.36 (incl VAT). ...We're softies, and don't really want to have them put down with a bolt gun...less traumatic for them.....And us. :-[

I was horrified to see the drug that was used to do the deed, this time, cost a total of..........Wait for it......£100.20 (incl VAT)
Von's going to have a moan at them.  >:(
That was adding insult to injury, as far as I'm concerned.

Cheers - Mr Annoyed of Wales.

fsn

Blimey!

That's a bit of a jump! A 7x increase!

Did they say why it had gone up so much? (Thinking of story from Florida this morning)

Techno

It was a different drug, Nobby. (Somulose)

Why they've gone onto this one now is beyond me......Though having done some checking this morning....this seems about an average price for this particular drug. X_X

The pony that was put down before this latest one was sedated first anyway, so I can't see why they couldn't have used the same method....and the previous drug.

Been reading some absolute horror stories about the bills other folk have got when having their horses put down.
Our total bill for this latest one will be around the £300 mark (including disposal).....I've read one where the owner was faced with a total cost of around £1,200.  :o :o :o :o

From a purely mercenary point of view, we'll 'recoup' the cost of this bill over the next three months or so. He was an expensive little b*gger to keep well and happy !.....He took more drugs than I do...Had to have 'special food'......and quite a lot of extra expense on his bedding.

Hey Ho - Cheers - Phil. :(