Blather, Waffle and Poppycock!

Started by Leon, 24 February 2013, 05:21:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hertsblue

Quote from: Techno on 03 May 2015, 06:26:18 PM
True !
Thank goodness for the DVD player.
Speaking of which.....Anyone else watched 'The Battle of the Five Armies', recently ?
Have to admit I found it somewhat tedious. (Though I'll probably watch it again in a few months, and think it was brilliant.)
Cheers - Phil

Yes, I thought it was about half an hour too long. The actual battle scenes were well realised, if a little mechanical (no armies were ever that well drilled), but the single combat at the end could have been pared back significantly. And the old device of "the villain's down and out and we can relax, oh, no, here he comes again!" is so predictable we were all waiting for it.

Nevertheless, Phil, when it comes down to a reasonable price no doubt I will add it to our collection.
When you realise we're all mad, life makes a lot more sense.

www.rulesdepot.net

Ithoriel

Battle of Five Armies is a perfect example of cinema's tendency to create films where "the names remain the same but the plot has been changed to protect the innocent" out of books with well-described, perfectly filmable action! :(
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Orcs

Quote from: Ithoriel on 04 May 2015, 11:11:07 AM
Battle of Five Armies is a perfect example of cinema's tendency to create films where "the names remain the same but the plot has been changed to protect the innocent" out of books with well-described, perfectly filmable action! :(

This is particuarly true of the Hobbit Triology. They have very little  to do with the orriginal book for most of the fiim. Mainly because it would have only made a single film if he had followed the book.

To stop myself being anmnoyed by the inaccuracies I treat them as " films set in the fantasy world created by JRR Tolkien"

The Lord of the Rings Triology was a better set of films as far as the orrigina book was concerned.
The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

Hertsblue

Quote from: Just a few Orcs on 04 May 2015, 11:18:21 AM

The Lord of the Rings Triology was a better set of films as far as the original book was concerned.

But even they took some liberties.

www.rulesdepot.net

Techno

Somehow didn't mind those, Ray....Though I felt I should have done, sometimes !  ;D ;D ;D

Anyway....I'm going to dive into the bath, now
I stink of agricultural herbicide....Poo ! (Well...This is Blather, Waffle and Poppycock.)

Cheers - Phil, the Sycamore Seedling Slayer. (THOUSANDS of the leetle deevils.)

fsn

Quote from: Techno on 04 May 2015, 08:38:16 PM
I stink of agricultural herbicide....Poo ! (Well...This is Blather, Waffle and Poppycock.)

I recommend mints, or stick to vodka if I were you.
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Techno

I could certainly almost 'taste' the stuff.  :-&
(You weren't expecting me to use a face mask, surely ? ;))
Cheers - Phil

Hertsblue

Well, a nice yoghurt and cucumber balm might work wonders, Phil.  :D

www.rulesdepot.net

Techno

Techno

I cannot wait until tomorrow morning ! :)

I'd been avoiding going to the optician for quite a while now.....As my last pair of specs cost me the Princely sum of almost £500 !!
(Overpriced frames......Complex lenses...made from glass, rather than plastic...Then drastically thinned down. Otherwise they'd be SO bloomin' thick !)

For the past few months though, I've been finding I've been pushing the Optivisor further and further down my nose, so I could really focus on the wee men.
Doing things like teeth on the sleke's, has seemed to be getting harder and harder.  X_X
Soooo....A couple of weeks ago I thought.....Don't care...I've just GOT to have some new glasses.

Should have gone to Specsavers (Sooner)

Couldn't believe how much my eyes have changed (For the better !)
No longer need complex lenses.....Each eye has 'improved' by two diopters, and when the optician said......
"This is the prescription you should be using......(Then pressed a button on the computer).....and this is what are using".......I simply couldn't believe the difference.

(As much as anything, it'll be nice to see the computer screen properly !  :P)

Three pairs of glasses.....Two long vision, one for reading.....For less than half the price I paid those rip-off merchants for one pair a few years ago.
(Fair enough...I'm going for thinned plastic, rather than glass this time...which DOES make a fair old difference, price wise.)

With luck I'll be able to do fillings in the teeth now !  ;)

Cheers - Phil.

PS......When did 'they' stop using those trays of lenses which they slid into the wire frames ?.....It was so much easier to tell if 'A' was better than 'B' by the lass pressing a button on the computer, this time, as the difference was so instant...I was impressed !!

fsn

10 May 2015, 09:01:36 AM #355 Last Edit: 10 May 2015, 09:03:31 AM by fsn

Very dapper Mr T. Very dapper. Sets off your eyes.   Let's see the reading ones ...

How do your eyes get better?
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Fenton

I am imagining Phil as Welsh Professor Branestawm
If I were creating Pendraken I wouldn't mess about with Romans and  Mongols  I would have started with Centurions , eight o'clock, Day One!

Techno

Quote from: fsn on 10 May 2015, 09:01:36 AM
How do your eyes get better?

Age, Nobby.  :'(
For me, anyway, because I'm so short sighted.

The 'long sighted' problem I have now, because I'm so ancient, has AT LAST started to mean that I'm not quite so short sighted as I have been in the past.
My eyes are 'sort of' correcting themselves....HAH !!

I actually wonder how many of our older colleagues should be getting checked for 'long sightedness'.... and perhaps get them selves a pair of reading glasses to use in conjunction with the the dear old Optivisor.

Cheers - Phil

Hertsblue

Glass lenses, Phil? That's about as comfortable as nylon shirts. Those goggles must have weighed a ton.  :o

www.rulesdepot.net

Techno

They were/are a bit heavy, Ray !  ;D ;D ;D
I've had to use a 'sports' headband to stop them falling off for quite a few years, now.

But....Got the new specs today !

Going to have to have a 'play' to see which work best with the Optivisor, for making the wee men.
The reading specs are a total revelation.....I can see the PC screen, without double vision, now !.....Huzzah !!(I've even shrunk the text down to what it was before.)
I could almost sculpt without the Optivisor at all.....I think they would just be too far away to do fine detail.

Mind you.....When I look out of the window with these on....Everything's a complete blur outside !!  ;D ;D ;D

What I'm looking forward to the most, is being able to read in the evening.
I won't have to shut one eye, and hold the book right up to my face and read one word at a time ! (Bit of an exaggeration.....But not a lot. ;))

Bet I'll have a headache by the end of the day, while I get used to the new bins !  ;D ;D ;D

Cheers - Phil