Blather, Waffle and Poppycock!

Started by Leon, 24 February 2013, 05:21:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

Can't be aliens, the Welsh are English citizens  ;)
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Heedless Horseman

04 April 2021, 03:58:17 PM #3121 Last Edit: 04 April 2021, 04:15:59 PM by Heedless Horseman
Glaciers DID have a fun time in their 'teens'... shifting stuff around 'cos they could!'. 'Little B*****s!'  >:(
Now, being Old... they just shrink and widdle!   ;D

Maybe, the Norse...with their 'Frost Giants', DID have a 'handle' on the World,  after all!  ;)

They weren't that stupid... just took events/realities and turned them into 'stories'... Just think about all the free meals that the First 'Author' of 'A Tale Of Ice And Fire' will have had!  ;D ;D ;D
(40 Yrs ago. I should have been an Angry Young Man... but wasn't.
Now... I am an Old B******! )  ;)

fsn

Portrait of Annie, a Wenatchi or Nez Perce woman, with an infant in a beaded cradleboard, circa 1905.
Source: photograph taken by Edward H. Latham / University of Washington Libraries, Special Collections Division.

OK. I will admit that I do love photographs like this.
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

fsn

2021 is the year of Nobby's Napoleonics. I present progress to date., 

From front to back Cavalry, Picton's Div, Coleville's Dic (well, Mitchells Brig) and Clinton's Div.
I have 3 regts of cavalry  to complete, and so far have only completed the 2/95th of Clinton's Div, so 7 battallions and a horse battery to go there.

Picton's Division. I deliberately cut down the horse teams ... but regret that so I'll be add additional horses when I get round to it.

The 2 regiments of light dragoons completed so far. One more light dragoon and 2 of dragoons to go. Yes, I hate painting cavalry.

In the front Mercers HA battery and Whinyates Rockets.

Each battn is 60 figures plus a mounted colonel. Cavalry regiment 40+1.

Complete so far 13 bttns and 2 regiments.

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015

Westmarcher

07 April 2021, 12:56:05 PM #3124 Last Edit: 07 April 2021, 12:59:30 PM by Westmarcher
Nice stuff. Like the rocket trail. Teams look fine to me.*  :-bd

* apart from the 'social distancing' team  :P
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Well they did stand well clear of the rocket, just a tad unpredicatble. They were better if launched friom the tripod, in terms of saftey.
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Orcs

Very impressive Nobby.

One day I may paint my 15mm Battle Honours armies for waterloo. I have only had  them since 1987.
The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

Steve J

d_Guy

Very impressive,fsn, and a daunting amount of work already accomplished! I too like the rocket battery particularly the one just launched to confound the approaching French horse (there will be French horse, correct?). On a side note I take the red glaring rocket as a tribute to our national anthem and say thankee!
Sleep with clean hands ...

fred.

Great stuff Nobby, an impressive collection already.

I'm glad to see you have done two horse teams per gun, I'm thinking of doing something similar for my WWI artillery
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

fsn

07 April 2021, 05:07:25 PM #3130 Last Edit: 07 April 2021, 05:09:42 PM by fsn
Quote from: fred. on 07 April 2021, 03:26:27 PM
I'm glad to see you have done two horse teams per gun, I'm thinking of doing something similar for my WWI artillery

Yersss. I've sort of been hoist on my own petard. Originally planned a brigade level game (8-10 bttns) of really chunky units. 24 figures can't form a square IMHO, so I went up to 60. Similarly, I always thought that an artillery battery should be quite a thing to move about, and one gun with 4 figures clustered around it seems too easy. Thus, I had to have the limbers and to bulk it out, ammunition waggons. The problem came in that one brigade didn't encompass all the troop types I wanted, and to maintain the strict cavalry/infantry ratios I need to have more infantry to allow more cavalry ... which needed more guns ...and so we end up with over 50% of the British element.  :D

Quote from: d_Guy on 07 April 2021, 03:22:20 PM
... (there will be French horse, correct?)
The who now?   :-\  I have Prussians and Brunswickers and Bavarians and Wurttembergers bought and ready to paint ... oh, and I seem to have started buying Poles. I think the Austrians may be after that ... and I'm sure by then the Peninsular War range will be live and who can resist a Spanish Grenadier? I do like the French dragoons and carabiniers, but the infantry are soooooo boring.  I know this is heresy, and I apologise. Maybe Westphalians, definitely not the Garde.  

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Techno II

Nobby !!! :o :o

Superb stuff, my friend....Who's been a busy chap ? ;)

Cheers - Phil. :)

Matt J

That's some great work FSN!

Although  at first glanced at the blue cloth I though you were doing Trafalgar
2012 Painting Competition - Winner!
2014 Painting Competition - 3 x Winner!
2014 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2015 Painting Competition - 2 x Winner!
Beep

fred.

Quote from: fsn on 07 April 2021, 05:07:25 PM
Yersss. I've sort of been hoist on my own petard. Originally planned a brigade level game (8-10 bttns) of really chunky units. 24 figures can't form a square IMHO, so I went up to 60. Similarly, I always thought that an artillery battery should be quite a thing to move about, and one gun with 4 figures clustered around it seems too easy. Thus, I had to have the limbers and to bulk it out, ammunition waggons.

Yes a horse drawn battery was a big thing. I found the below about the 1914 French battery (and I suspect this was much the same 100 years earlier)

"Each Mle 1897 75 mm field gun battery (4 guns) was manned by highly trained crews of 170 men led by 4 officers recruited among graduates of engineering schools. Enlisted men from the countryside took care of the 6 horses that pulled each gun and its first limber.

Another 6 horses pulled each additional limber and caisson which were assigned to each gun.

A battery included 160 horses, most of them pulling ammunition as well as repair and supply caissons."

As you say a small base with a gun and a few crew doesn't really cut it.
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts