Blather, Waffle and Poppycock!

Started by Leon, 24 February 2013, 05:21:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Techno II

Why on Earth, would I even want to bother ?  :P  :d.....I'd love to know the plus-side for me to use them.

It doesn't appeal to me, at all.

Cheers - Phil. :)

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

Facebook, Pintrest and Youtube are useful- dont bother wit rest
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Ithoriel

I have, or have had, accounts with Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Pinterest and MeWe. I no longer use any of them.

I use Youtube as a "guest." I use Discord to play boardgames with friends.

Frankly, I feel my mental health soared after I dumped those first five!
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

fsn

I use facebook for groups like the Friends of the Tank Museum, and Scotland from the Roadside.

Apart from that, the thought of being social doesn't appeal.

Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Techno II

Von 'uses' Facebook.......But has it locked down to the n'th degree, so no-one can cause her any angst.

Very occassionally, she'll point out something vaguely ammusing that's she's been sent a link to.

Although I don't 'belong' to Pinterest......I often use piccies from them to help understand 'various bits of kit' for the wee men......Wot I are making (sic). ;)

I suppose I DO use Youtube.....without having any sort of link/profile.....But that's almost exclusively to watch obscure music videos like Rick Wakeman with Brian May doing a version of Yes's Starship Trooper.

I'd genuinely NOT feel comfortable in posting photo's of what I'm working on..
...with something like Facebook.....because, as far as I'm concerned.....Leon might want those to remain 'secret' for a while.

My VERY good chum, Nobby, has tried to drag me kicking and screaming into the twenty first century.....But I prefer to stay where I am.  ;D ;D

Cheers - The Ancient One......But I'm happier that way. ;)

sultanbev

I blew my Facebook account up years ago and have been a lot better off for it. One thing I did find, from a business point of view, was that it didn't help sales at all. Posting links to new releases didn't increase sales at all. FB is full of people who "oooh, shiny, I'll have some of them!" but never follow the link and actually part with cash.

The only social media I use is Pendraken Forum and Youtube.
Just which the designers of forums like this one would bring them into the 21st century and allow photos to be uploaded direct.

Mark

fsn

Quote from: Techno II on 09 January 2021, 12:59:10 PM
I suppose I DO use Youtube.....without having any sort of link/profile.....
Audiobooks, Phil, audiobooks. No profile needed.

Quote from: Techno II on 09 January 2021, 12:59:10 PM
My VERY good chum, Nobby, has tried to drag me kicking and screaming into the twenty first century.....But I prefer to stay where I am.  ;D ;D
I'll probably get you there in about 80 years time.

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015

fsn

I know I am a massive Pendraken fan ... because Pendraken is fantastic and wonderful and we all know that.

Every now and again I find things that make me appreciate Pendraken even more.

I have been looking at 25/28mm figures (for "Of Gods and Mortals") and I have to say that some manufacturers do not do their figures justice by having some really badly painted figures on their sites. I shall name no names, but if I am looking at them and saying "I could do better than that" then they are in trouble.   

Pendraken may have gaps, they may have unpainted figures, but where they do show painted figures they are so damned beautiful, I want to buy them.

Techno II

Quote from: fsn on 17 January 2021, 06:49:42 PM
Audiobooks, Phil, audiobooks. No profile needed.
I'll probably get you there in about 80 years time.

Not sure I'll last 80 minutes.....The blanking boiler 'went bang' last night...I'm gonna freeze. :'( :'( :'(

Thank goodness the weather's a little bit milder at the mo'......If this had happened a couple of weeks ago, I really would have frozen !

I've got a fan heater set up by the desk......I'll just have to waste electricity today. =)
HOPEFULLY our boiler repairman will be able to fix the wretched thing this evening......A very prompt reply from him, to a mail I sent to him 'late' last night !

Why is it......whenever I think I'm 'starting to win', does something like this happen ?
Hey, Ho......worse troubles at sea, as the saying goes. ;)

Cheers - Phil  :)

Orcs

Quote from: Techno II on 18 January 2021, 07:21:14 AM
Not sure I'll last 80 minutes.....The blanking boiler 'went bang' last night...I'm gonna freeze. :'( :'( :'(

Thank goodness the weather's a little bit milder at the mo'......If this had happened a couple of weeks ago, I really would have frozen !

I've got a fan heater set up by the desk......I'll just have to waste electricity today. =)
HOPEFULLY our boiler repairman will be able to fix the wretched thing this evening......A very prompt reply from him, to a mail I sent to him 'late' last night !

Why is it......whenever I think I'm 'starting to win', does something like this happen ?
Hey, Ho......worse troubles at sea, as the saying goes. ;)

Cheers - Phil  :)

Poor You Phil, Know what you mean - you just think your getting there an you might save some money this month and something goes wrong.

I have a electric fan heater in my Den that is at least 45 years old. When I was young my brother had the box room on the north side of the house with two outside walls  ( no central heating in our bedrooms ). He had a fan heater. When he got married I inherited his room and he left the fan heater for me.  That was 45 years ago.

The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

Ithoriel

Oh, not good. Hope that's fixed soon Phil!

I consider it to have been a mild winter so far, on the grounds that the temperature in my fridge has not been less than one degree colder than my kitchen/diner.

Because life really likes to kick us when we're down. :(
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Techno II

Oh well, at least one more day without any heat, or hot water  =).....I've just ordered a new circuit board....(The old one having been fried).......So the earliest it'll turn up is Wednesday...Then it's a case of how quickly the boiler-man can come out to fit the boiler all back together.

We have been warned that the new circuit might not solve the problem, 'cos Matey can't figure out for certain why the old one (and another bit) went 'pop'.

At least we have got the electric shower.

Cheers - Cold of Wales. :(

Steve J

Fingers crossed you get it fixed soon Phil.

fsn

Makes you hanker for the days of a real fire.

I remember my Grandparents house had a peat burning Raeburn. My summer holidays often involved collecting cut peat from the hill and building a peat stack to protect the fuel over the winter. At least one room was warm.
For the rest it was many layers of blankets and, if you were lucky, a hot water bottle.  Not uncommon to chip the ice off the windows in the morning ... the inside of the windows.

Sorry Phil. Probably not helping.

Stay warm.

Ithoriel

Chipping t'ice off t'winda? In ar 'ouse yer ad ter chip ice of t'blanket ter get out o' bed. Then we 'ad ter go out t'privy an melt t'ice in the bowl and cistern. After a bowl o' cold gravel we ad ter walk uphill twenty mile in us bare feet t'mill and work 16 hours for sixpence a year an then walk twenty-five mile home, uphill an all.

Course, ye tell kids that these days an they never believe yer.

:) :) :) :)