Blather, Waffle and Poppycock!

Started by Leon, 24 February 2013, 05:21:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Techno

Well...I'm certainly aware of you, Nobby !!  ;D ;D ;D

Quote from: Orcs on 01 October 2019, 08:21:43 PM
That's bad luck Phil.
Its my job to repair things , so I would have to fix the vacuum, but  not use it.  Mrs Orcs divides jobs into Blue, Pink and mixed. I normally get into trouble if I do a Pink job

Thanks, Mark !

Don't think Von & I have ever made lists....as such...But we each do tend to stick to certain jobs.
Not too dissimilar to your pink and blue lists.....Though I AM banned from doing any form of decorating, because I get bored very quickly, and rush things.  X_X

Cheers - Phil

steve_holmes_11

Don't mention the Duvet cover.
My least favourite job.

Never really gets any easier, no obvious technique to improve, and no matter how well you think you've done, it always ends up a crumpled shapeless mess.

(Even with my 6'7" "Orang Utan" armspan).

Anybody who could build a device to partly automate the process (I imagine pulleys, wires and a lot of steampunk style brass), could become as wealthy as Croesus.

FierceKitty

Turning the mattress on our bed is a job for six people at least.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Ithoriel

Quote from: steve_holmes_11 on 02 October 2019, 09:56:00 AM
My least favourite job.

Never really gets any easier, no obvious technique to improve, and no matter how well you think you've done, it always ends up a crumpled shapeless mess.

Anybody who could build a device to partly automate the process (I imagine pulleys, wires and a lot of steampunk style brass), could become as wealthy as Croesus.

Friends have a duvet with little loops on the corners. Their duvet covers have buttons in the corner. Stuff duvet in cover. Make sure duvet is flat not twisted. Pop loops over buttons (or buttons through loops!). Shake duvet. Drop duvet over bed. Hey presto!

.... why don't all duvets have this??? 
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

d_Guy

Quote from: FierceKitty on 02 October 2019, 09:59:47 AM
Turning the mattress on our bed is a job for six people at least.

Not if you reduce the hanky panky
Encumbered by Idjits, we pressed on

FierceKitty

I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

steve_holmes_11

Quote from: Ithoriel on 02 October 2019, 10:49:50 AM
Friends have a duvet with little loops on the corners. Their duvet covers have buttons in the corner. Stuff duvet in cover. Make sure duvet is flat not twisted. Pop loops over buttons (or buttons through loops!). Shake duvet. Drop duvet over bed. Hey presto!

.... why don't all duvets have this??? 

Jolly Clever, These Americans...

Orcs

Quote from: Techno on 02 October 2019, 08:12:36 AM
Well...I'm certainly aware of you, Nobby !!  ;D ;D ;D

Thanks, Mark !

Don't think Von & I have ever made lists....as such...But we each do tend to stick to certain jobs.
Not too dissimilar to your pink and blue lists.....Though I AM banned from doing any form of decorating, because I get bored very quickly, and rush things.  X_X

Cheers - Phil

We don't actually have a formal list, but if I suggest I do something that is regarded as a "Pink" job I get a funny look so I know not to go there.

I quite enjoy decorating, especially painting It has the same therapeutic effect that painting little men has.  I also refuse to get anyone in to do it,due to the cost and the fact that I will notice bits they have bodged.

We had all the internal doors and the banisters replaced a year or so ago. Despite my complete lack of carpentry skills I still found bits that needed finishing off after paying the bloke a significant amount of money. None were enough to call him back but they niggled me like buggery till I had fixed the,   If it was a job I was competent at and had paid some one I would be fuming.
The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

mmcv

Quote from: steve_holmes_11 on 02 October 2019, 09:56:00 AM
My least favourite job.

This tends to be my job too but find it fairly simple if you turn the cover inside out, put your hands in the far corners inside, grab the duvet corners while looking like a Scooby Doo ghost (and making the appropriate oooooh noises) then just wave it up and down over the bed as if you were fanning an Egyptian Queen until the cover inverts neatly over the duvet. The tedious bit is fastening all the buttons or poppers on the end. Or option two, forgo the cover and just use the duvet on its own, sure it's all the same in the dark ...

steve_holmes_11

Quote from: mmcv on 02 October 2019, 11:21:36 PM
This tends to be my job too but find it fairly simple if you turn the cover inside out, put your hands in the far corners inside, grab the duvet corners while looking like a Scooby Doo ghost (and making the appropriate oooooh noises) then just wave it up and down over the bed as if you were fanning an Egyptian Queen until the cover inverts neatly over the duvet. The tedious bit is fastening all the buttons or poppers on the end. Or option two, forgo the cover and just use the duvet on its own, sure it's all the same in the dark ...

The "Waving it about" bit never seems to work quite right.
Now admittedly, my Duvet is a king-size, but I expected my arm-span would scale in proportion.

Perhaps the problem is that there isn't much bedroom that isn't bed (A little space at the foot as wide as the door, and a walkspace at the side).
Hence the shaking occurs over the bed, and the low end of teh duvey just drags around the bed.

mmcv

You need more lift then, flap it more vigorously! Or stand on the bed, though that can risk banging the head in the ceiling...

fsn

Quote from: mmcv on 03 October 2019, 07:48:46 PM
You need more lift then, flap it more vigorously! Or stand on the bed, though that can risk banging the head in the ceiling...
That reminds me of my married life.  :-[
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Orcs

Quote from: mmcv on 02 October 2019, 11:21:36 PM
This tends to be my job too but find it fairly simple if you turn the cover inside out, put your hands in the far corners inside, grab the duvet corners while looking like a Scooby Doo ghost (and making the appropriate oooooh noises)

Yes that's what we do and often end up in a fit of giggles. :)

The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

Westmarcher

I've never had a problem with duvet covers.

I let the wife do it.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

mmcv

Quote from: Orcs on 03 October 2019, 08:18:14 PM
Yes that's what we do and often end up in a fit of giggles. :)

I mean it would be rude not too...