Blather, Waffle and Poppycock!

Started by Leon, 24 February 2013, 05:21:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FierceKitty

I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

paulr

Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Orcs

Quote from: pierre the shy on 28 April 2018, 11:43:19 PM
But as I point out to Mrs Shy its a heck of a lot less than a mid life crisis spend that a friend of mine did recently when he bought a Suzuki 650 road bike with all the options. OK he had (most of  ;)  ) the budget to do it but he still spent $20k all up.

I wish my mid life crisis only cost £20K.  Mine was upwards of £180k.  Best £180K I ever spent though    :) :)
The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

pierre the shy

Quote from: Last Hussar on Today at 02:34:57 PM
What rules Pierre?

Quote from: FierceKitty on 29 April 2018, 03:33:54 AM
Probably Mrs Pierre.

100% correct there Kitty  :)
Though much is taken, much abides; and though
we are not now that strength which in old days
moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are.

FierceKitty

Ah, well, it's much easier not to have to make any decisions.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Ithoriel

Quote from: Orcs on 29 April 2018, 08:08:30 AM
I wish my mid life crisis only cost £20K.  Mine was upwards of £180k.  Best £180K I ever spent though    :) :)

HIM: I thought I might get you a nice bottle of perfume for your birthday
HER: I don't want perfume!
HIM: How about a bit of jewellery?
HER: I don't want jewellery!
HIM: Well how about a new car then?
HER: I don't want a new car either!
HIM: Well what do you want then??
HER: I want. A divorce!
HIM: 'kin 'ell I wasn't planning on spending that much!!

:)
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

fsn

I am being very productive at the moment.

Just finished my 1:3000 Mediterranean forces, about 160 ships all told. That's it. All done. No more. Ever. (Unless I get the Pacific bug and need some Japanese flat tops.)

My new way of having 3 projects on the go seems to be keeping my enthusiasm up. On the table at the moment are recce elements of the Guards Armoured, more ancient Greeks hoplites and an empty space which I will either fill with some 1:600 Beaufighters, Wellingtons and Swordfish, or some 1:600 coastal craft, or some scenery or *gulp* I may have to start on some Napoleonics.

Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

fsn

"In April 2018, a very large and interesting machine rolled out of a military museum in Verkhnyaya Pyshma, a town in Russia's Sverdlovsk region. It was a T-35 — one of the most bizarre tanks of the interwar period and known in particular for its five turrets, huge size and short performance on the battlefield."  :o

http://warisboring.com/a-gigantic-t-35-tank-rolls-out-of-a-factory-80-years-after-production-ended/

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015

d_Guy

Thanks for posting this. Good to see one actually moving. The T-35 is one of the few tank models I own (although neither assembled or painted). Are the red stripes and white dashed actually how they were painted? Seems unlikely but cool.
Encumbered by Idjits, we pressed on

fsn

The red and white isn't authentic. Some of them had white stripes, but I don't know of any red.

Ithoriel

From Tank Encyclopaedia

http://www.tanks-encyclopedia.com/ww2/soviet/soviet_T-35.php

"A T-35A before the addition of the P-40 AA mount. This scheme is from the 1936 summer maneuvers." (my emphasis)

There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

fsn

I stand corrected.

I was looking at them in 1941.

Ithoriel

It was news to me too fsn.

Glad now that I googled it before agreeing with you!

fsn

I had a long weekend this weekend.

Very productive. Finished off a squadron of KV1s and KV2s to give the Russians something to fight with when the T35s and T28s just aren't enough.

Painted up a couple of lakes. I think it was too warm and the ripple effect disappeared, so the lakes look becalmed.  :(

Varnished up some 1:600 Horsas, Hamilcars and Dakotas for aerial assault. I left off the invasion stripes and am now regretting it.   :-\

I actually got a game in. Trying out my new aircraft rules, I pitted a Sunderland against a FW200. The Sunderland was tasked with keeping the Condor away from the supposed position of a convoy. Lots of jockeying for position, and very little firing. Only damage was a lucky shot to the FW200 which struck a fuel tank. This enabled the German to withdraw with honour. Oddly satisfying, like watching a hippo fight with a rhino.

paulr

Certainly a different air scenario  :-\
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!