Painter or gamer?

Started by nikharwood, 27 May 2010, 07:23:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nikharwood

I think I would usually describe myself as a gamer - but in reality, I do infinitely more painting than actual gaming...In the past, I've even been called a "collector"...how would you describe yourself? Is it a description that varies from time to time / over the different seasons etc etc?

lentulus

Gamer for sure.  Painting is not quite agony  :'(, but it is all for the game  8) !

Steve J

Lead addict at the minute. With the arrival of the nice weather, both painting and gaming have been in rather short supply. Generally I manage about an equal split over the winter months, with more gaming than painting in the summer.

sixsideddice

28 May 2010, 03:09:57 PM #3 Last Edit: 28 May 2010, 03:11:45 PM by sixsideddice
Gamer through and through; painting is the bane of my life - a means to an end that seems to go on and on (oh why oh why do I keep buying more metal lol).

I painted professionally for a few years, repeating chess sets and special one off figures and armies for collectors over the globe (pay was dreadful actually). I repeated each pose of miniature so many times I counted them in my sleep. Now I can`t stand painting, but I love my wargames, so I have no choice  :'(  If I had the money, I`d get others to paint my little guys for me  :)

Steve.

Sandinista

I'm with Steve, painting is a means to an end - toys on table is what we are here for ;D

Luddite

Definately gamer.

99% of my painting is just to get the little chaps on the field.

VERY rarely will i buy and paint a figure for display or just becaus i like it, so it's got to be gamer first...
http://www.durhamwargames.co.uk/
http://luddite1811.blogspot.co.uk/

"It is by tea alone i set my mind in motion.  It is by the juice of Typhoo my thoughs acquire speed the teeth acquire stains, the stains serve as a warning.  It is by tea alone i set my mind in motion."

"The secret we should never let the gamemasters know is that they don't need any rules." - Gary Gygax
"Maybe emu trampling created the desert?" - FierceKitty

2012 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

"I have become inappropriately excited by the thought of a compendium of OOBs." FSN

Steve J

When the muse is upon me, I really enjoy the painting. I enjoy fielding an army, unit, etc that I know I have painted from start to finish. Unfortunately for a lot of games, especially 28mm, I have a lot of shiny metal. Too many projects, too little time :'(.

Last Hussar

Do people actually paint for fun? :o
I have neither the time or the crayons to explain why you are wrong.

GNU PTerry

nikharwood

I do...for me it's active stress-release  8)

Last Hussar

Your weird you are! ???

Actually Sunjester and I have had a bit of a bitch about you - no one should be that good at 10mm!  I suggested chopping one of your hands off, just to give the rest of us a chance. :P

GNU PTerry

Sandinista

"Actually Sunjester and I have had a bit of a bitch about you - no one should be that good at 10mm! "

or taping fingers together - a bit more humane  :)

nikharwood

QuoteYour weird you are!

Can't argue with that  ;)

As for cutting / taping etc - not sure it'd have the desired effect - I'd just find a way around it: I really do enjoy painting & use it as a conscious stress-releaser...must be said though that I'll paint in waves; sometimes I won't even think about picking up a brush - and then the next week I'll paint like a man-possessed  8)

Last Hussar

Quote from: Sandinista on 31 May 2010, 01:23:05 AM
or taping fingers together - a bit more humane  :)

Forget Humane- watching with their fingers taped together would be funny.

GNU PTerry

Last Hussar

Actually last weekend I sat in the garden and painted- it was quite relaxing, apart from the fact that under bright sunlight I could see all the detail, and realised I wasn't good enough to paint it.

GNU PTerry

Sandinista

Quote from: Last Hussar on 31 May 2010, 11:36:07 AM
Actually last weekend I sat in the garden and painted- it was quite relaxing, apart from the fact that under bright sunlight I could see all the detail, and realised I wasn't good enough to paint it.

I have fitted daylight bulbs in my workroom, better on the eyes in the evening and like the sunlight it shows up detail better