Proper weekend of sports entertainment

Started by Nosher, 03 February 2013, 05:41:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nosher

What more could a chap ask for eh?

Superleague is back on Friday nights and my beloved Rhino's got off to a flyer doing a demolition job of Hull :D

Saturday and the Six Nations kicked off. What better way to spend a Saturday afternoon than with a few friends and a crate of beer watching the Welsh getting rolled over by the Irish 8)

The fun was doubled as a resurgent England drubbed the Sweaties, a victory which was made even more pleasurable on this occasion as I got to drop my old army mate (and new Scotland Coach) Dean Ryan a text after the match. :-*

Back on the Rugby League front St Helen's got a sound whipping by Huddersfield Giants :d

Today topped off a wonderful weekend sporting wise as Les Bleus were embarrassed (again) by the Azuri <:-P

I don't think my wife likes me very much, when I had a heart attack she wrote for an ambulance.

Frank Carson

barbarian

Imagine my position. French living in Italia.  :-\
2015 Painting Competition - Winner!
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Steve J

The French were awful from what I saw of the 2nd half and the Italians really fired up. England played brilliantly and only saw a bit of the Ireland - Wales game as we were finishing off our DB game.

You'll have to see if you can get free tickets for games now Nosher ;).

Duke Speedy of Leighton

And for those who need light relief after the glorious rugby, the Americans are trying their best tonight too!
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

barbarian

I just love American Football, but all these ads make me sick of it.
2015 Painting Competition - Winner!
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Duke Speedy of Leighton

It's on the BBC! So no adverts, joy of joys!  @-)
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Leon

I was gonna stay up for the Super Bowl, but ended up falling asleep after a 6am start for the York show.  I only watch it for the spectacle though, I have no idea what's going on with the game, and why it needs to take about 4 hours to reach a conclusion.

:-\
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

Rob

The most pleasing aspect was the good start the teams (or most of them) have made. Straight out of the starting blocks. I have been disappointed in previous years that it took 2/3 games for the clubs to be firing on all cyclinders.

Huddersfield v St Helens was a nice surprise. Huddersfield were excelent. Paul Anderson has to be congratulated in changing the current method of doing things. Back to a big pack which dominated St Helens physically, allowing Dannie Brough to work his magic. This could cause some rethinks in the lower tiers.

Wigan against Warrington this Friday, a clash to savour and must not be missed. Difficult to asses the outcome although all the pundits will go for Warrington I should think.

Congrats to the Italians, what a great result. It is good to see how far they have now progressed. Possibility of at least another win against Scotland?

Nosher

Quote from: Rob on 04 February 2013, 12:54:18 PM
Wigan against Warrington this Friday, a clash to savour and must not be missed. Difficult to asses the outcome although all the pundits will go for Warrington I should think.

Congrats to the Italians, what a great result. It is good to see how far they have now progressed. Possibility of at least another win against Scotland?

W v W will indeed be a blast if this weekends games are anything to go by. I'll put my neck on the line and say Wigan by 5 points or less and Tomkins to score at least once.

If the Welsh play the way they did this weekend the Azuri can beat them too (which would make my year!)
I don't think my wife likes me very much, when I had a heart attack she wrote for an ambulance.

Frank Carson

Nosher

Quote from: Rob on 04 February 2013, 12:54:18 PM

Not many would have predicted a draw in a bruising encounter, however still think Wire have seen their best years and Tony Smith's 'youth' policy of ramming 'les grognards' in a charge down the middle is easily found out by younger/fitter teams willing to stand up and be counted for 70 minutes.

Frank Carson

Rob

Quote from: Nosher on 08 February 2013, 11:21:40 PM
Not many would have predicted a draw in a bruising encounter, however still think Wire have seen their best years and Tony Smith's 'youth' policy of ramming 'les grognards' in a charge down the middle is easily found out by younger/fitter teams willing to stand up and be counted for 70 minutes.

Cracking game, my settee knew it was in a game anyway  :)

I think Wigan's half-back pairing will improve as the season progresses. Matty Smith was very good with ball in hand but his kicking was not good, although alot of kickers have bad days against Hodgson.

Warrington are like a vintage wine with a high proportion of their players in their last years, and no weak links on the bench so they can rotate the oldies to get the best out of them. This could be their year to win the Grand Final and for alot of them like Briers it may well be their last ever chance so that will draw the best out of them.

:)

Luddite

Quote from: Leon on 04 February 2013, 12:43:06 PM
I was gonna stay up for the Super Bowl, but ended up falling asleep after a 6am start for the York show.  I only watch it for the spectacle though, I have no idea what's going on with the game, and why it needs to take about 4 hours to reach a conclusion.

:-\

It was a cracking game.

And the half time excitement of Beyonce in her pants followed by the 'is it a terrorist threat' suspense of the lights going out was top grade entertainment.
http://www.durhamwargames.co.uk/
http://luddite1811.blogspot.co.uk/

"It is by tea alone i set my mind in motion.  It is by the juice of Typhoo my thoughs acquire speed the teeth acquire stains, the stains serve as a warning.  It is by tea alone i set my mind in motion."

"The secret we should never let the gamemasters know is that they don't need any rules." - Gary Gygax
"Maybe emu trampling created the desert?" - FierceKitty

2012 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

"I have become inappropriately excited by the thought of a compendium of OOBs." FSN

Leon

Quote from: Luddite on 10 February 2013, 09:21:39 PM
It was a cracking game.

And the half time excitement of Beyonce in her pants followed by the 'is it a terrorist threat' suspense of the lights going out was top grade entertainment.

I missed it all unfortunately, although I have seen the Beyonce memes which have appeared online in the past week!

:D
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

Nosher

Even with Beyonce in hot pants American Football is still awful...

Frank Carson

FierceKitty

Flannelled fools at the wicket, and muddied oafs at the goal....Ah, more things should be Kippled, I tell you!
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.