WW II skirmish ruleset (bolt action?)

Started by petercooman, 26 January 2013, 09:54:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

petercooman

Hi!

I was looking at my box of 20mm revell gits today and thought they are lingering here for too long while not being used. (for about 10 years)

Now i would like to paint them up but knowing me, if i have no reason i won't do it  :d

So it got me thinking, since i use the 10mm guys for the bigger battles, maybe i can use these for smaller actions. Having about 100 british paratroops and equal amount of jerries and some 50 us paras, they could perfectly fit with my normandy british and german in 10mm.

What i would like to do is get some smaller games that link in to bigger battles. an example:

Paratroops attacking a battery at the normandy coast, smaller skirmish game but the outcome affects the big battle that follows, depriving the germas of their artillery support, or the british are in for a hard landing.

You'll all know what i mean  ;)

Now the question is, what rules are best for this? I have seen the I48 combat rules for free on the wargame vault, but these look to small scale. Any experience with these someone?

And the bolt action rules look ok, but can these be adapted to 20mm minis? Or would these fit in without adaptation? (maybe some measurement changes)

Thanks in advance!!

Nosher

Bolt Action will work well for 20mm. I know some have been doing this in 15mm and 10mm.

It will work best with single figure basing sticking to original game scale and ranges (i.e. without modification). However whilst I enjoy the game, it is because I think it lends itself better to solo gaming with a tough of holllywood style gaming.
I don't think my wife likes me very much, when I had a heart attack she wrote for an ambulance.

Frank Carson

petercooman

What's the standard table size for bolt action actually?

Nick the Lemming

We use 15mm for BA, and don't have any problems with it so far. We use the original measurements as well rather than cms in place of inches or similar.

Nosher

Quote from: petercooman on 26 January 2013, 11:02:05 PM
What's the standard table size for bolt action actually?

In a 500 point game the suggestion is 4ft by 4ft and in a 750/1000 point game 6ft x 4ft.

500 points usually equates to a HQ unit, two to four squads of infantry and a couple of support options such as MMG, Mortar or AT gun. Over 500 points games attract vehicles and up to 1 tank per HQ unit fielded. often part of a second platoon also gets fielded under a seperate HQ.

The game can be played at above 1000 points but slows down dramatically and you can end up with tank parks a-la 40K

For me the game is best at under a 1000 points
I don't think my wife likes me very much, when I had a heart attack she wrote for an ambulance.

Frank Carson

rim66

TooFatLardies are working on a set right now and, whilst I have not seen them, there were out at Cardiff yesterday and I have only heard good things - very good things, in fact. Forces are about a platoon a side.

petercooman

Quote from: Nosher on 27 January 2013, 09:47:12 AM
In a 500 point game the suggestion is 4ft by 4ft and in a 750/1000 point game 6ft x 4ft.

500 points usually equates to a HQ unit, two to four squads of infantry and a couple of support options such as MMG, Mortar or AT gun.
For me the game is best at under a 1000 points

Well the meaning is to play small games with this so i guess that about does it! Are there rules in there for demolition, engineering and the such? AS most of the time the smaller missions will include a partiular objective (a bunker to be demolished, bridge to be taken etc...)

petercooman

GordonY

Theyre also a cracking set of rules, I think I've succumbed to buying the entire stable of them.