Dismounted cavalry 1914

Started by J.S., 24 January 2013, 11:31:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

J.S.

So, here's another one for the first world war. How about dismounted troopers? For many scenarios those would be fairly important.
Here are some pics to qicken the appetite  8)

Austrian hussars storming a russian position:

Battle of Haelen 1914; dismounted belgian troopers fend off several fierce attacks by german Uhlans:

and now for the best part: it would be fairly easy for pendraken to do these poses since you already got those:

Some headswaps, boots and minor details on the uniform..and there you go, a new ww1 cavalry troopers is born  :D
2012 Painting Competition - Winner!
2013 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

FierceKitty

Are you Austrian? I note that you give them a capital letter, whereas three other European nations don't qualify.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Leon

Quote from: FierceKitty on 24 January 2013, 11:36:42 AM
Are you Austrian? I note that you give them a capital letter, whereas three other European nations don't qualify.

If you ever stop teaching, there's probably a job for you in Dictionary corner on Countdown...!   :D
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

J.S.

;D

No, I'm german and I only wrote austrian with a capital A here, because it stood at the beginning of the sentence.  ;)

FierceKitty

It's fascinating, however. Like the way that the later Ming Chinese responded to the usual threat on their northern frontiers by orering that the word for "barbarian" should always be written as small as possible in official documents to show contempt.

FierceKitty

Even though German uses capitals so lavishly?

realthing

Capitals aside, some more dismounted cavalry is a good idea. There are the Brits (BP41) but some more would be useful. Horse-holding types could be included as well.

J.S.

Quote from: FierceKitty on 24 January 2013, 11:49:01 AM
Even though German uses capitals so lavishly?

Indeed it does, but it's not always correct. I handed in a paper once, in which I (unintentionally) wrote 'bavarian' (adjective) with a capital B each time..the professor (not a native bavarian) wasn't too pleased.  [-(

QuoteHorse-holding types could be included as well.

I think that the union horse-holders would also be a good sarting point here.

Leman

Who would have thought that a request for dismounted cavalry would lead to a discussion of the capitals of Europe! Dismounted Russian cavalry are easy - use an infantryman. However dismounted Austrian hussars and dragoons would definitely look quite arresting on the tabletop.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

Hertsblue

If you use dismounted cavalry you would also probably need horse-holders.
When you realise we're all mad, life makes a lot more sense.

www.rulesdepot.net

Pavlovs_Dog

Hi guys,
May I add my voice to calls for dismounted cavalry . I'd like to add some dismounted French dragons to add to my early WWI .French army

cheers Jerry

Leon

www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

Nouseforausername

Seconding (or thirding or tenthing) this!

Some rulesets need to have both mounted and dismounted cavalry, the option of both is very wecome! 

Techno

As that was your first post Nouseforausername.....(From now on you're 'N'  ;))
A warm welcome to the forum ! :-h
Cheers - Phil.

Hertsblue

Welcome to the madhouse, N.  :)
When you realise we're all mad, life makes a lot more sense.

www.rulesdepot.net