Judges Announced!

Started by Leon, 18 January 2013, 12:48:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leon

18 January 2013, 12:48:26 AM Last Edit: 18 January 2013, 12:06:31 PM by Leon
We are proud to announce the 5 judges who will be deciding the winners of the 2013 Painting Competition!  

This years judges are:
Nik Harwood!
Clibinarium!
Andy Mac!
Dave!
...and our new judge for 2013:
Techno!

Each of the judges will be given 3 / 2 / 1 points to award in each category (3 points to the best entry, 2 points to the second best, 1 point to the third).  The points will be tallied up and the winners will be announced shortly after the closing date of 28th Feb.

So, who are these folk?!

Nik Harwood!
Nik has been painting figures since the age of about 5 when he started trying to colour in the weapons on his older brother's Airfix plastic Afrika Korps; he made a decent amount of pocket money in junior school by painting early Citadel figures for fellow classmates playing D&D; his first 'proper' wargames armies were Colonial British and Zulus - done for a school project aged 12. He's not looked back since - apart from a brief hiatus when he was distracted by totty...his main interests are...multiple [& still include totty, 10mm or otherwise] :-)

Pics of Nik's work: http://nikharwood.pbworks.com/ and all over the Forum!

Clibinarium!
The name Clibinarium will be instantly recognisable to most people as the man behind our fantastic Late Roman, AWI and LoA ranges, along with ranges for other companies in 15mm and 28mm.  He is 34 and a professional sculptor.

Pics of Clibinarium's work: http://www.pendrakenforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=213.0, http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/clibinariumsgroup/, http://anothersuchvictory.blogspot.com/.

Andy Mac!
Andy is a hobby painter who enjoys both the researching of the units and the painting of the figures.  He started about 8 years ago painting 28mm ACW figures, and his work was seen by Dave Marks who wrote "In the Name of Glory" Napoleonic rules and he asked me if he could use Andy's figures in his ACW rule set " Honor & Glory".

Andy met up with him at Colours '05 and was introduced to war gaming proper for the first time, up until that point he'd never gamed.  He had taken some work along to sell, some ACW figures by Redoubt Enterprises.  Trevor Body from Redoubt stopped by the table and asked who had painted them.  When Andy claimed ownership, he asked if Andy would like to do some work for him.  Things kind of grew from there, he was approached by Magister Militum the following year, again at Colours and did some 28mm work for them.

About 5 years ago, Andy started doing 10mm work for Magister and really enjoyed the scale.  One of his customers asked if he would like to do both some ACW and AWI in 10mm for him.  The ACW being a mix of manufacturers and the AWI being Pendraken's.  He took up the offer and has not looked back since.  Andy's view has always been if the artist can put that amount of work into producing the figure then it's only fair he try to do the same when painting it.

Pics of Andy's work: http://www.displacedminiatures.com/andymac/ and http://s347.photobucket.com/home/Andymacs.

Dave!
I started wargaming in the early 70's, painting Minifigs ECW figures.  Royalists were red, and the roundheads had yellow and red hooped sleeves!  My painting hasn't got much better!
I started Pendraken Miniatures in 1992, to fund my own hobby really, and 20 years later we're still going strong!  I don't get much time to game anymore, but try to get in at least 1 game a year if I can!

Techno!
Phil refuses to tell us how old he is and will only admit to being slightly older than Dave.
He's worked in the industry full time since 1987 when he joined Games Workshop as their photographer, though he'd had numerous of his painted figures in White Dwarf and various Citadel Journals before this.  From there he went on to run the figure painting unit in the studio, writing many of the 'Eavy Metal articles and helping out with the figure painting for White Dwarf and numerous rule books and games produced at the time.

After that, he was ( Hah !!....His word) 'put in charge' of the figure designers to help coordinate miniatures production.  After leaving Workshop in '91 he started working for various firms as a freelancer, designing figures, which he's been doing ever since.

He thinks it was '89 when he was informed that "You're chief judge for Golden Demon this year."..An experience he remembers with a slight shudder...(Though he was laughing when he said that.)  "Stroll on....You trying looking at hundreds and hundreds of entries all within a few hours......Eeeek"  

He knows that helping judge the Pendraken Painting competition this year will be a lot less stressful.....and a lot more fun!  He says he's actually really looking forward to helping out, and says he's rather chuffed to have been asked.

Good luck to everyone who enters!

8)
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Well that's the bribe list sorted then...  ;)
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

nikharwood

Quote from: mad lemmey on 18 January 2013, 08:28:08 AM
Well that's the bribe list sorted then...  ;)

Such a suggestion...well, really... :o

I like single malts, none of that blended rubbish  ;) :D

Hertsblue

Ah, you accept liquid bribery, Nik? That's worth remembering.

Shame I'm a crap painter....  :'(
When you realise we're all mad, life makes a lot more sense.

www.rulesdepot.net

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Nik - single malt
Andymac - strong large coffee
Techno - nice cup of tea?

Anyone know Clib & Dave's prices?

N.B. I know the judges are not really open to bribes, but it had to be said, it's traditional...  ;)
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Techno

Quote from: mad lemmey on 18 January 2013, 09:36:40 AM
Techno - nice cup of tea?
N.B. I know the judges are not really open to bribes, but it had to be said, it's traditional...  ;)

TEA ?.....TEA:o :P
Cheers - Phil.

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Brandy? Cointreau? Creme de Menthe?

nikharwood

Leon

Quote from: mad lemmey on 18 January 2013, 09:36:40 AM
Anyone know Clib & Dave's prices?

Dave likes Skol lager, always has done, don't believe him when he denies it...  In fact, make sure to ask him at the shows if he likes Skol...  :D ;)
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

andymac

It's a bummer being on the meds :'(, no falling down water allowed, so Lemmey's right a good strong coffee. 

You could always add a bacon roll ;)
Andy Mac
Andy Macs Photobucket - http://s347.photobucket.com/home/Andymacs

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Andymac - that now open's a whole new can or worms...  :o

Brown sauce or ketchup?  :D

mart678

Techno
I will pop over the misty mountains for a coffee soon nothing to do with you being a Judge in the painting comp honest ;) :D

Martin

Techno

Don't even think about trying today Mart !....You won't get here !  ;D ;D ;D
Cheers - Phil

Pint of brandy please Lemmey !
Never tried Absinthe....Is that the one with aniseed in it ?.....Aniseed...Yuk !!  ;D ;D

andymac

Sorry Lemmey, I don't do ketchup. :o

The perfect bacon sandwich:

Start with a warm fresh white roll.

Now add three slices of home cured best back bacon, laid on a bed of fresh rocket and roasted red pepper.

Now add a couple of slices of grilled haloumi cheese on top of the bacon and lastly a good helping of home made tomato salsa.

I get these from a lovely little place about 3 miles from where I live. :D

Andy Mac
Andy Macs Photobucket - http://s347.photobucket.com/home/Andymacs

Steve J

Hmmm, they sound good. However I do like a nice white roll, butter and good smoked bacon for my perfect buttie:).