Hello

Started by 11kilo, 12 January 2013, 11:52:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

11kilo

Good evening:.

I have put in an order for my first ever 10mm figures, trying to get back into wargaming after years away from the hobby. Even though I am  traditional ancients and horse & musket wargamer, I decided to go for WW1 since one of my sons is very interested in the period at the moment and the other one will be studying early 20th century history next term.  Both boys want to be involved in the project, which I am sure will be a lot of fun.

I will be looking into making trenches, barbed wire, shell craters, wetlands and finding the right rules (which might be my biggest challenge as they have to be easy to understand and fun), so all advice will be greatly appreciated.

While we wait for the figures to arrive we have just started on the trenches, and I must admit I got quite a buzz!

As i type this I realise that this adventure that involves many "firsts", the scale, the period, the boys, making terrain, but also using a resource like this forum to help me on my way.

Looking forward to joining the community, cheers

Andy

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Welcome to the fun!

Peter Pig square bashing (if you can find an early version) are fun, but I;m sure the rest of the illustrious membership will come up with even better suggestion.
Mad Lemmey
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Vulpine

Hi 11Kilo.

Welcome to the Pendraken!

Looking forwards to seeing your board so post some pics!

Also your WW1 models! Have a look at the painting comp in feb, possibly something to work towards!

Rules wise, I'm not the guy to ask, Luddite is the guy for you. He is wise and has memory's of games going well back, for he remembers a time when 40k was a good rule-set, only 3 channels on his TV and when Savail was a hero!
You're just a pathetic
bunch of tin soldiers,
skulking around the
galaxy in an ancient
spaceship!

Techno

Welcome Andy ! :-h
Cheers - Phil.

Steve J

Welcome on board Andy :-h. Our daughter is off to Belgium for a long weekend tour of the WWI battlefields in the Spring, but no parents allowed :'(. You might find the following article of use from Wargames Illustrated:

http://www.wargamesillustrated.net/Default.aspx?tabid=303

Belwo a batrep of a Square Bashing game by Si Tyler, which again should be of interest to you.

http://www.pendrakenforum.co.uk/index.php/topic,4831.0.html

Fenton

Wargames Journal has a pretty good set of free rules Great War Spearhead should be out soon, and Square bashing 2 looks interesting, and will be getting it soon

I envy  your daughter heading off to Belgium, I try and go at least once a year but didnt get in 2012, lovely place as well as historically interesting
If I were creating Pendraken I wouldn't mess about with Romans and  Mongols  I would have started with Centurions , eight o'clock, Day One!

Nosher

Welcome to the madhouse and welcome back to the hobby with no name... ;) :D
I don't think my wife likes me very much, when I had a heart attack she wrote for an ambulance.

Frank Carson

Leon

Hi Andy, welcome to the Forum, looking forward to seeing your WW1 project progress!

8)
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

fred.

Hi Andy

Sounds a great project - In the back of my head I have the idea of doing a 1:150 scale trench line, to allow gaming at 1:1 figure ratios - the trench lines were often only 100 yards apart, which is only about 60cm in scale - so would fit on a table easily. I was thinking of terrain tiles - to allow some variation of the game, and to allow trenches and shell holes to be dug down. No idea on rules, or even if it would be a fun game.

Let us know how you get on.
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

i_am_win

Welcome 11kilo!!

Looking forward to seeing some pics of your project!!
Check out The Grinning Skull for Grinning Skull 15mm Miniatures rangehttp://www.thegrinningskull.co.uk/

nikharwood

Hertsblue

Hi Andy,

WW1 seems to be on the up and up. Good luck with finding a decent set of rules.  :-bd
When you realise we're all mad, life makes a lot more sense.

www.rulesdepot.net