Pendraken Painting Competition 2013!

Started by Leon, 09 January 2013, 08:03:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duke Speedy of Leighton

I have a project in mind... Now where is that skateboarding lizard boy?  :P
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

nikharwood

Quote from: mad lemmey on 10 January 2013, 10:07:00 AM
I have a project in mind... Now where is that skateboarding lizard boy?  :P

He's hitching a ride, hanging off the back of one of your Guard limbers  8-} :O)

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Leon

Quote from: Vulpine on 09 January 2013, 10:40:25 PM
How about 100% sculpted 10mm models. As in, if I sculpted (as I'm getting better) using one of the Pendraken Dollys and painted them.

'Fraid not on those, just Pendraken figures!

Quote from: GavinP on 10 January 2013, 12:06:52 AM
Am I right in thinking that the figures should be painted IN february??

Nope, as long as they've been painted in the past 12 months, they're good to go.

Quote from: fred  12df on 10 January 2013, 07:47:35 AM
Single based figures are a bit of a problem - they don't really fit in any of the categories, I have had problems with this in the past.

It'd be the 'Open - Single Base' category for those, but you'd be competing with some bigger entries.

Quote from: GavinP on 10 January 2013, 09:12:05 AM
Well it seems a bit bloody stupid to me that you can enter something painted yonks ago, seems to defeat the purpose but fine. I'll enter stuff I painted last year, saves me painting anything now.

It's just to allow everyone chance to get something in, or to paint something new specifically for the contest if they want to.  You might have done up a couple of units in Oct/Nov which you were chuffed with, so this way you get to enter them.

Quote from: mad lemmey on 10 January 2013, 09:32:44 AM
Last year the cut off was:
a) Nothing that has been entered in previous competitions here.
b) Has to have been painted since last year...

Yep!

Quote from: nikharwood on 10 January 2013, 10:04:12 AM
I'd also encourage my fellow forumites to remember that this is a competition that is free to enter, designed to be fun, designed to be an encouragement for everyone to take part and an incentive to get painting, and that the spirit of this is that it should be an opportunity to recognise everyone's efforts - and delight in the quality that is shared.

:-bd
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

arabianknight

To my shame I don't think I've painted anything 10mm since last years comp.

I had some rats that just missed the deadline but they definately won't be making an appearance (sooooo last year  :D )

Time to put that right (for end Feb)  ;)

andymac

Having read Nik's comments on the subject of entries, I completely agree with him :)

Flooding the categories with multiple entries makes the job of the judges much harder as we have to sift through them to find the real gems.

Choose your category / categories, plan your entry, pick your figures and think about your basing (although this is a painting comp basing does play a part in the marking.  If it comes down to deciding between two entries, I will always go for the one with the better basing.).

Other than that just have a great time and enjoy your painting :D.

I'm looking forward to seeing this years entries.

Good luck to you all

Andy Mac
Andy Mac
Andy Macs Photobucket - http://s347.photobucket.com/home/Andymacs

Vulpine

Been working on a diarama for the open cat... Sorry everyone entering this year, looks like gold place is taken :D
You're just a pathetic
bunch of tin soldiers,
skulking around the
galaxy in an ancient
spaceship!

fred.

10 January 2013, 07:18:49 PM #22 Last Edit: 11 January 2013, 02:31:46 PM by Leon
The winners have been spread around many people in the previous years - I think that all the winning entries have been really good. Its always slightly subjective when judging painting, but the winners have certainly been amongst the best entries in categories. I've never looked at a winning entry and thought "how did that win?" I might have ranked then very slightly differently but only amongst the top 3. Also as there are multiple judges, who all have their own opinions then I don't think popularity can come into it.
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

i_am_win

10 January 2013, 08:31:30 PM #23 Last Edit: 11 January 2013, 02:32:14 PM by Leon
Just one thing though, I am assuming that the judges aren't allowed to enter? If that was the case, that wouldn't seem fair.
Check out The Grinning Skull for Grinning Skull 15mm Miniatures rangehttp://www.thegrinningskull.co.uk/

Techno

Quote from: fred  12df on 10 January 2013, 07:18:49 PM
Interesting measure of popularity - more a measure of your, errr our, ability to spout nonsense.  8)

The winners have been spread around many people in the previous years - I think that all the winning entries have been really good. Its always slightly subjective when judging painting, but the winners have certainly been amongst the best entries in categories. I've never looked at a winning entry and thought "how did that win?" I might have ranked then very slightly differently but only amongst the top 3. Also as there are multiple judges, who all have their own opinions then I don't think popularity can come into it.

Totally agree with Fred...... :)
Yes .....It's always going to be somewhat subjective when judging something artistic....So personally, I believe it's a great idea to have a number of judges. There's more of a consensus which is great. Nothing at all to do with popularity surely ?
I thought it worked brilliantly last year, and like Fred, I can't think of any entry that was placed, which made me think...."How on earth did that win or get placed ?"

No Win.....The judges won't be entering.....None of them can paint anyway. ;) ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
(Well....Some of them can, I suppose....said he grudgingly. ;))

Cheers - Phil.

i_am_win

QuoteNo Win.....The judges won't be entering.....None of them can paint anyway.      
(Well....Some of them can, I suppose....said he grudgingly. )

I thought so, the judging that is, not their ability!! ;D
Check out The Grinning Skull for Grinning Skull 15mm Miniatures rangehttp://www.thegrinningskull.co.uk/

Leon

10 January 2013, 10:13:55 PM #26 Last Edit: 11 January 2013, 02:32:52 PM by Leon
Quote from: i_am_win on 10 January 2013, 08:31:30 PM
Just one thing though, I am assuming that the judges aren't allowed to enter?

Correct, the Judges can't enter the competition, their job is purely to judge all the entries.  All the judges have been chosen because they are skilled painters themselves, and respected folk within the wargaming community.

8)
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

Vulpine

You're just a pathetic
bunch of tin soldiers,
skulking around the
galaxy in an ancient
spaceship!

Leon

Quote from: Vulpine on 10 January 2013, 10:15:57 PM
Respected?

Yep? 

- Nik's well known in many circles for his painting ability, and general enthusiasm for gaming as well. 
- Andy Mac's painting is some of the best seen in 10mm, anyone who's seen his AWI work will attest to that. 
- Clibinarium is one of the best sculptors working in 10mm at the moment, and his painting's pretty darn good as well. 
- And then there's Dave...who's... well, he's Dave!  He started Pendraken 20 years ago, so we let him judge the Painting Comp.  He can actually knock out some decent paintjobs when he's got the time to do it!

Vulpine

You're just a pathetic
bunch of tin soldiers,
skulking around the
galaxy in an ancient
spaceship!