more pics - more profit?

Started by J.S., 09 January 2013, 03:30:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Albie Bach

Just done BR168 Policemen, rifles and BR169 Upper class civilians using a black wash.
I overdid the the blackness I think and the background is a bit dark but it was a piece of cake. No problem doing any new bits I've got in future for codes that don't have pictures.  :)
Sadly no longer with us - RIP (2018)

Hertsblue

Just done Malburian artillery, MAL14, MAL15 & MAL17 (Don't have the 9 pr.)
When you realise we're all mad, life makes a lot more sense.

www.rulesdepot.net

fred.

Quote from: FierceKitty on 10 January 2013, 11:46:42 AM
We seem very eager to spend Leon's money for him, n'est ce pas?

Well see it as a quid pro quo - he spends too much time encouraging us to spend our money  ;)

I've got loads of photos - the hard bit is finding ones of just one code (or just Pendraken figures)
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

fred.

Chucked some more on, various WWII, fantasy accessories and random others
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

barbarian

2015 Painting Competition - Winner!
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Rob

Quote from: nikharwood on 10 January 2013, 10:10:24 AM
The problem I can see with this Rob is that your "little outlay" of £1.34 (which doesn't include postage costs of course) would, with 3000 codes needing pics, still cost Pendraken over £4k...that's a huge outlay, isn't it?!
Hi Nik,

The £1.34 is the retail ((£4.00/30=£0.13333….) times 10 = 1.3333… say £1.34)

The actual cost to Pendraken of a giveaway figure may be difficult to precisely establish as it would vary on total annual company costs divided by how many figures they sell annually. The postage is probably the main cost obstacle.

Anyway it was just a suggestion for a token method of paying people, there are many other things that could be done. The point being, to say thanks for a good job if the piccy was deemed worthy of being displayed.

Quite rightly in my humble opinion Leon has set high standards and a consistency of style as the benchmark for his piccies. To keep to these standards he needs to be able to control the content being placed on the commercial pages. These web pages to us are a hobby but to Leon its more serious. As nice and accommodating as he is he will probably not want his web-site filled up with just anything.

I have just noticed that if I look at the WW2 pages for any nation, each code without a picky now recommends that I look at the recently added British piccies and for good measure suggests I should get nude and smell like Rihanna!  <:-P =O Is everyone seeing this or is it just me?

Quite amusing but I think it may be good manners to ask Leon if he is OK with this.

Cheers, Rob  :) :)

GrumpyOldMan

Hello Albie

Quote from: Albie Bach on 10 January 2013, 01:56:59 PM
Just done BR168 Policemen, rifles and BR169 Upper class civilians using a black wash.

Just had a look and the gremlins have extracted those from the store listing.

Cheers

GrumpyOldMan

Albie Bach

Quote from: GrumpyOldMan on 11 January 2013, 12:57:59 AM
Just had a look and the gremlins have extracted those from the store listing.
Thanks for letting me know.  :)
I now have a message saying Disqus doesn't support my browser (IE8), but as I am still using Windows XP I can't use IE9. I could see the pictures yesterday though, even when I signed out. I keep telling myself to get a new computer.  :o
Anyway, I've added photos on the forum here if you are interested http://www.pendrakenforum.co.uk/index.php/topic,6685.msg66825.html

nikharwood

11 January 2013, 08:18:04 AM #38 Last Edit: 11 January 2013, 09:14:00 AM by nikharwood
Quote from: Rob on 11 January 2013, 12:56:21 AM
Hi Nik,

The £1.34 is the retail ((£4.00/30=£0.13333….) times 10 = 1.3333… say £1.34)

The actual cost to Pendraken of a giveaway figure may be difficult to precisely establish as it would vary on total annual company costs divided by how many figures they sell annually. The postage is probably the main cost obstacle.

Anyway it was just a suggestion for a token method of paying people, there are many other things that could be done. The point being, to say thanks for a good job if the piccy was deemed worthy of being displayed.

Yes, agreed - but it's still £4k if you take that and apply it to the 3000 codes that Leon needs pics of...that's simply not economical for a small business; I would argue that this is the main cost obstacle...

Quite rightly in my humble opinion Leon has set high standards and a consistency of style as the benchmark for his piccies. To keep to these standards he needs to be able to control the content being placed on the commercial pages. These web pages to us are a hobby but to Leon its more serious. As nice and accommodating as he is he will probably not want his web-site filled up with just anything.

Couldn't agree more. If we place content on the website, it's clear that it's from us, not from Pendraken because it sits in the comments section; as admin of the site, Pendraken can remove anything from there - or disable the function if they chose. Some really useful functionality is the ability to be able to push codes to social media effortlessly.

I have just noticed that if I look at the WW2 pages for any nation, each code without a picky now recommends that I look at the recently added British piccies and for good measure suggests I should get nude and smell like Rihanna!  <:-P =O Is everyone seeing this or is it just me?

Quite amusing but I think it may be good manners to ask Leon if he is OK with this.

I think you'll find that this will be targeted advertising powered by Disqus (which is the comment function); nothing that any of us have put there (mine is showing Foo Fighters at the moment) - this'll include personalised content as well as paid-for promotion through the core Disqus Discovery function - more here:
http://help.disqus.com/customer/portal/articles/666278-introducing-promoted-discovery-and-f-a-q-

J.S.

11 January 2013, 10:15:24 AM #39 Last Edit: 11 January 2013, 10:19:13 AM by J.S.
But do you really need pictures of every single code? I guess it would be a start to tackle the most popular periods first..like WW1, WW2, SYW or the late 19th century range. Pendraken has by far (! ) the most comprehensive selection for the 1848-1884 period and its a real pitty that there are no pictures to do this extraordinary range justice.
2012 Painting Competition - Winner!
2013 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Re C19th - I'm working on it, just all my pictures are on my home computer...
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Sean67

Leon
I understand your problem of cost to employ but what about one of these government Y.T.S. (I know showing my age) but is it feasible to get a young one in to help photo the codes or approaching the local college (photography course) they might be able to take the photo's to your specs. Same college could have an I.T. section that might help you upload the pictures.
I know this might be far out.
Sean

Leon

Quote from: Sean67 on 11 January 2013, 12:13:22 PM
I understand your problem of cost to employ but what about one of these government Y.T.S. (I know showing my age) but is it feasible to get a young one in to help photo the codes or approaching the local college (photography course) they might be able to take the photo's to your specs. Same college could have an I.T. section that might help you upload the pictures.
I know this might be far out.

It's something we've looked at in a more general sense, helping out with casting and such, but at the time is wasn't quite viable.  It might be something we look at again in the near future.

8)
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

Hertsblue

Um - I uploaded some pics of the Marlburian artillery pieces yesterday and this evening I saw them vanish in front of my eyes. If they were removed deliberately then fair enough. However, if it was the result of my stupidity, perhaps someone could suggest what I might have done wrong - for future reference.   :)
When you realise we're all mad, life makes a lot more sense.

www.rulesdepot.net

Albie Bach

You probably did the same as me.
I uploaded a couple of pictures and thought that was it. I was wrong, only I could see them.
In fact I found later I had to "post" them. That meant I had to add a comment above the picture I uploaded and then "post" it. I don't have a Facebook etc account so I used the box which asked for a name. When you click on that another box appears below it.
Enter a Username in the top box and your email address in the bottom box. There is also a check box to join Disqus which I ticked.
The way I understand it is that you upload the pictures, but then have to go through a "post" method so you can be identified and others can see them. If you have Facebook etc account it uses that, otherwise you do what I did and use Disqus.
Sorry if this is not clear, it is 9:30 & I've drunk quite a lot of strong cider I got for Christmas. 8-}