Show: Salute, London

Started by Leon, 09 January 2013, 12:07:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Linked Events

mollinary

Also had a great time, and thought it seemed the best SALUTE for years, although I got precious little time to take it all in.  But I did get to see Bernie's game demonstrating his new "Paris, City of Light" rules for the Republican Phase of the FPW, with some splendid Pendraken figures on display. Well done Bernie!  :D. It was very busy on the Continental Wars Society Demonstration Game, and it was great to meet PF members in the flesh (so to speak). Good to see they are as pleasant and knowledgable in real life as in the ether.  My real surprise was the number of other people who came to our game, asked if the figures (all Pendraken of course)were 6mm, and then came up with the "I could never paint anything that small" line that Peter Berry of Baccus has been fighting for years. It left me wondering whether putting something like Andy Mac's painting guide on the main website might not help convince people that doing this scale is not black magic?  The overwhelming majority of comments were very positive, people were very impressed with the amount of detail on the figures, and the way in which they "inhabited the battlefield".  It was also good to see visitors from France, Italy, Germany, Austria, Belgium (not me!) and Malta interested in the 1860s. All in all, an exhausting day, I have no voice left, but had a fabulous day. Thanks to all who visited! =D> =D> =D> =D> =D>

Mollinary
PS Also many thanks to all who bought the book. Richard Brown of Ken Trotman Ltd was very gratified by the business! Hope you enjoy it.
2021 Painting Competition - Winner!
2022 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up!

mollinary

Quote from: clibinarium on 21 April 2013, 06:28:23 PM
Well, even I haven't seen them yet. did they turn out OK?

Clib, they turned out AMAZING :o :o :o. I. Only managed to justify resistance on the grounds that I haven't started this period yet, and there were so few packs there that those who have already invested in the infantry deserved first dibs. I have in mind a couple of "Maurice" armies when the range is complete, but I can wait (no, that argument didn't really convince me, either!). Well done, Clib, you continue to set new benchmarks for 10mm.

Mollinary

fred.

Hi Mollinary

Is this a photo of your game? It looks really good - the terrain and figures look in one - and it looks like a rolling battlefield.

If so what are the chalk boards and the yellow string for?

2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

Sandinista

It was the army pack that tempted me, a nice starter force plus I got an extra pack of cavalry with swords. Truly are amazing figures - far better in the hand than any image seen on here. Will be getting a few more in the near future as Vienna 1683 is now the next project - thanks Clib  :)

mollinary

Hi Fred,

Yes, that is our game.  We decided that if we tried to demonstrate the whole game at once there would be too many players and umpires around the table to allow decent access to visitors.  So we set the figures up to allow us to play four separate scenarios from the battle, representing different times and actions.  The four boards give a basic description of each scenario, and the string was used to mark off the area and forces of the particular scenario we were playing at the time. In your photo this shows the cavalry action between Wnuck's combined brigade of Prussian Dragoons and Uhlans, and Solms' Austrian Cuirassiers.

Mollinary

Steve J

Great looking table and lovely to hear that there was so much interest :).

As for the LoA figures, I must resist... ;).

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Lovely to meet you to Mollinary. Sorry I couldn't stop for longer.  :'(
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Leon

Well, what a manic day it turned out to be!  Not helped by me forgetting a vital part of the Minibits stand, and my camera!  We managed to bodge something together on the stand, and the mother-in-law very kindly let me borrow her camera, so it was all OK in the end.

There were roughly 5000 through the door, plus those already inside running tradestands/games, so that's a lot of people.  We heard that the queue was completely out of the Excel centre at one point, which if you've ever seen the place, is quite an impressive feat.  It must have been getting on for half a mile of wargamers...  :o

The show started slowly, as it takes a little time for folk to get inside, and they usually hit the Bring and Buy first.  The Warlords do a cracking job of getting people in quickly though, it must be quite an exercise trying to get several thousand people through the door in the first hour.  There's always an element of panic which starts to seep in at around 10:30-ish, when you've only made a couple of sales, but then the first wave hits and it's non-stop from then onwards. 

There were loads of Forum folk out and about, so in no particular order we managed to see: Mollinary, Holdfast, Sandinista, Republic of Tolworth, kustenjaeger, mad lemmey, slinky, Hertsblue, goat major, Just a Few Orcs, Eldamarelf, Bernie, andymac, Blaxkleric, GavinP, Germy, whiteoak, stormrider, Patrick R, Commodore Rob, chrishanley, andyrob, andysmodels, Dannyboy and DaveL!!!  :o  I'll still have forgotten someone in there no doubt!

Business wise it was really good.  Me and Adele were kept busy on the Minibits stand, which was crammed full of people all day, and Dave and Cliff kept an eye on the Pendraken side of things.  The LoA cavalry were quickly snapped up, but luckily we'd managed to get enough cast up, so there was enough to go round.  Dave had done a couple of generic army packs as well, which sold nicely.

Minibits had a cracking day as well, which was great.  The dice frames were sold out by the end of the day, the bases took quite a beating before the show had even opened, and the I-94 decals were flying out.

I only managed to leave the stand for 3 minutes all day unfortunately, so missed out on almost the entire show I'm afraid.  Luckily there are piles of photo's coming up online, so here's a selection of the ones which have come up so far:

Joe Dever's slideshow of 700-odd pics! - http://s286.photobucket.com/user/joedever/slideshow/SALUTE%202013
Don't Throw a 1 blog - http://onelover-ray.blogspot.co.uk/2013/04/salute-2013-part-1.html
Big Red Bat blog - http://bigredbat.blogspot.co.uk/2013/04/bigredbats-salute-highlights.html
The Angry Lurker blog - http://theangrylurker.blogspot.co.uk/2013/04/a-knackered-reject-at-salute-2013-part.html
JJ Wargames blog - http://jjwargames.blogspot.co.uk/
Big Lee's blog - http://www.blmablog.com/2013/04/salute-2013-full-show-report-pictures.html
Shedwars blog - http://www.shedwars.blogspot.co.uk/2013/04/salute-2013-some-photos.html

8)
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

Steve J

From a quick look there were some seriously nice tables on show 8).

Fenton

You may not want to answer this Leon, but how much does it actually cost to rent a trading space for the day at Salute?..Just have always been interested
If I were creating Pendraken I wouldn't mess about with Romans and  Mongols  I would have started with Centurions , eight o'clock, Day One!

Leon

22 April 2013, 11:22:15 AM #55 Last Edit: 22 April 2013, 11:43:15 AM by Leon
Quote from: Fenton on 22 April 2013, 11:20:27 AM
You may not want to answer this Leon, but how much does it actually cost to rent a trading space for the day at Salute?..Just have always been interested

It starts at £290 I think for a 6ft pitch, with the price per 6ft coming down slightly as you buy more.  This year we paid £1100 for 30ft.
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

Fenton

WOW.....
I was going to say F&*K me but I thought that might have been rude
If I were creating Pendraken I wouldn't mess about with Romans and  Mongols  I would have started with Centurions , eight o'clock, Day One!

slinky

Only just had a chance to look at my newly purchased falklands figures and vehicles and Ive gotta say they are superb!
Was good to stop and have a chat with the Pendraken team which is never easy as you guys are always so busy!

Leon

Quote from: Fenton on 22 April 2013, 11:23:43 AM
WOW.....
I was going to say F&*K me but I thought that might have been rude

Haha, it is quite a lot of money, and when you add on the other costs of getting there (fuel, accommodation, food, etc.) it soon adds up.  It's harder to quantify an exact figure for Pendraken, but I know that for Minibits, I have to take around 5x the costs before I turn a profit, so it can be very hard going.  But on the flipside, you've got 5000 customers coming through and seeing your name and your products, and getting that kind of visibility is invaluable to me especially.

Quote from: slinky on 22 April 2013, 11:26:34 AM
Only just had a chance to look at my newly purchased falklands figures and vehicles and Ive gotta say they are superb!
Was good to stop and have a chat with the Pendraken team which is never easy as you guys are always so busy!

Good to see you too, and glad you like the figures!

8)

WeeWars

Quote from: Leon on 22 April 2013, 10:46:17 AM
It must have been getting on for half a mile of wargamers...

Anyone?

Bit less beer and it could have been half the distance.
← click my website button to go to Michael's 10mm 1809 BLOG and WW1 Blog

www.supremelittleness.co.uk

2014 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2015 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!