Modelling Workshop

Started by Phobos, 08 January 2013, 06:16:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phobos

08 January 2013, 06:16:19 PM Last Edit: 04 February 2013, 11:48:08 PM by Leon
Hi there,

Just working on it for earning skills, needs lots of improvement (specially in the torso) but let me know your musings about it.

Steve J

Not bad from what I can see. Certainly better than naything I could attempt!

Phobos

Tomorrow I´ll try to get some better pics (have been enhanced) and to the Pyrrhus of Epeirus that I´m working on for a friend.

FierceKitty

Looks good; may it earn you plenty! But the lance needs to be a bit longer, doesn't it?
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Phobos

Quote from: FierceKitty on 08 January 2013, 11:29:10 PM
Looks good; may it earn you plenty! But the lance needs to be a bit longer, doesn't it?

I´m glad to hear that! In fact, originally they are longer, but then I take a look to the lenght of the real Xyston, 3,6m, converted that to 1:144 and obtained that it must be 2,5, like in the image. Maybe it looks shorter due to its width.

FierceKitty

That's about the length I was thinking of. I must have misjudged the model.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Phobos

Quote from: FierceKitty on 08 January 2013, 11:56:20 PM
That's about the length I was thinking of. I must have misjudged the model.

Just measured again! 2,3 cm. Now I remember that I made it identical to the parthian kontos of Steve Barber models.

Techno

Quote from: Phobos on 08 January 2013, 11:54:04 PM
I´m glad to hear that! In fact, originally they are longer, but then I take a look to the lenght of the real Xyston, 3,6m, converted that to 1:144 and obtained that it must be 2,5, like in the image. Maybe it looks shorter due to its width.

You'll often have to 'cheat' a fraction with weapons Phobos.
All you can do is make it look as 'right as possible' within the limitations of the casting process.
Cheers - Phil.

Phobos

Anyway, they look far longer than the average cavalry pendraken spear, so It´s ok IMHO.

Techno

As a figure....It looks 'right' to me Phobos....But I'm nothing like an historical expert.
So please don't take my word for it ! ;)
Cheers - Phil

Phobos

One of the hetairoi and a conversion of the Carthaginian general into hellenistic general.

nikharwood

Phobos

Really? I´m little... obsessive with it, and could redone a helmet 10 or more times. Indeed, Im wondering if redo the face of the companion...

Leon

Just a quick point, the neck on the General looks quite thin, which can cause potentially cause casting problems.  The moulding process thins the model, so after a master mould, and then a production mould, it can sometimes be too thin to cast, or the head becomes very fragile.

8)
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Are these for general release or for private consumption? Looking great btw!
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner