What ruleset do you use in your last game?

Started by jchaos79, 08 January 2013, 05:21:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nosher

Bolt Action

US v German late war

Use BA regularly for quick pick up and play solo games

No play it regularly mainly solo due to the activation dice

Yanks got well and truly walloped trying to envelop a smaller but veteran Kampfgruppe. The Germans only lost a single sniper and two individual mortar and MG42 crewmen both of whom were lost during the pre-game bombardment.

A FUBAR'd US artillery barrage wrecked the US advance, killing the US CO, immobilising the Sherman supporting the infantry and decimating its infantry support to the point where the squad routed. The US didn't get over the midline.....
I don't think my wife likes me very much, when I had a heart attack she wrote for an ambulance.

Frank Carson

toxicpixie

That sounds like my FAC in the last couple of games!

First call in, good. Second call in, disastrous.

Replaced him with an M8 Greyhound last game and it was definitely MVP :D
I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

Hwiccee

) What ruleset do you use in your last game? - Polemos SYW
2) What armies were confronted? - The battle of Dettingen 1743 - French vs, 'British'
3) Did you feel comfortable with the ruleset? - Yes. The 2 players didn't know the rules but I umpired  so it was not a problem.
4) and... was the first time do you use the ruleset? - No

A re-fight of the historic battle of Dettingen. The French player got caught in 2 minds and paid the price.

mollinary

Quote from: Hwiccee on 19 May 2015, 12:25:10 PM
) What ruleset do you use in your last game? - Polemos SYW
2) What armies were confronted? - The battle of Dettingen 1743 - French vs, 'British'
3) Did you feel comfortable with the ruleset? - Yes. The 2 players didn't know the rules but I umpired  so it was not a problem.
4) and... was the first time do you use the ruleset? - No

A re-fight of the historic battle of Dettingen. The French player got caught in 2 minds and paid the price.

Is this a teaser?  Do you know something we don't?  For example  - when they might actually be published?  :-\  ;)

Mollinary
2021 Painting Competition - Winner!
2022 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up!

Hwiccee

No sorry I have no idea when they will be out. The best I can get is soon, probably this year, but an exact time .........

Luddite

1. Star Wars X-Wing
2. Imperial vs Rebels
3.  Yes.
4. No

Six Imperial TIE fighters (of various types) engaged two x-wings and two y-wings in a battle on the edge of an asteroid field.  The Imperial ships were outmanoeuvred and shot down.  They manage to bring down an X-Wing,  and damage a y-wing enough to get it to crash into an asteroid.  Good fun game all round!
http://www.durhamwargames.co.uk/
http://luddite1811.blogspot.co.uk/

"It is by tea alone i set my mind in motion.  It is by the juice of Typhoo my thoughs acquire speed the teeth acquire stains, the stains serve as a warning.  It is by tea alone i set my mind in motion."

"The secret we should never let the gamemasters know is that they don't need any rules." - Gary Gygax
"Maybe emu trampling created the desert?" - FierceKitty

2012 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

"I have become inappropriately excited by the thought of a compendium of OOBs." FSN

Nosher

1. Blucher
2. Austrians V French 300pts
3. My 'go to' Naps set at the moment. the Scharnhorst Campaign system is inspired

The Austrians took the field having seized the initiative right from the off where 4/5ths of the Army got in an early reserve move due to some outstandingly high dice rolling. The French were pinned in their deployment area with little room to manouvre and the Austrians piled in on a weak flank whilst holding the centre.

If you havent tried Blucher, you REALLY must :)
I don't think my wife likes me very much, when I had a heart attack she wrote for an ambulance.

Frank Carson

Leman

1.Wargaming the European C19th
2.French v. Prussians (Mars la Tour)
3.Very straightforward set of rules. I would not use the word simple as they created all sorts of tactical problems for both sides.
4.Not the first time as they have been used for Carlists, Austro-Prussian and Crimea before now.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

Luddite

1) What ruleset do you use in your last game?

Blucher

2) What armies were confronted?

French vs British & Spanish alliance (4 players, 2 per side)

3) Did you feel comfortable with the ruleset?

Sort of

4) and... was the first time do you use the ruleset?

Yes

The British/Spanish took up a defensive line on a string of hills across the board, with the British cavalry in the valleys.

The Spanish formed up in the open ground on the west flank, behind their cannons.

The French deployed in mirror style, and began the attack by advancing towards the high ground.

The British cavalry commander IMMEDIATELY ignored his orders (never put me in charge of the cavalry) and charged off into the heart of the advancing French, putting a couple of infantry formations to flight!

The French cavalry counter charged, and the British engaged in a fighting retreat back to the relative safety of their infantry lines.

The French attacks up the hills were soundly repulsed and by the time we abandoned play due to time running out, everyone agreed the British had won.

Interesting game with some quirky mechanics.  Basically, if you advance into range of the enemy muskets you are at a disadvantage immediately, as the enemy will shoot first.  No real incentive therefore to attack, rather better to wait for the enemy to do so.  Its my first game, but the chaps have played a couple of times and their observations on this are similar.  It seems that attacking is a poor option!
http://www.durhamwargames.co.uk/
http://luddite1811.blogspot.co.uk/

"It is by tea alone i set my mind in motion.  It is by the juice of Typhoo my thoughs acquire speed the teeth acquire stains, the stains serve as a warning.  It is by tea alone i set my mind in motion."

"The secret we should never let the gamemasters know is that they don't need any rules." - Gary Gygax
"Maybe emu trampling created the desert?" - FierceKitty

2012 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

"I have become inappropriately excited by the thought of a compendium of OOBs." FSN

toxicpixie

Sounds like the game was accurate for temperament, or at least for the British cavalry. Although you reformed and came back instead of charging to glory AND death so maybe not ;)
I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

Nosher

Sounds like the French would have had a tough time of it against British on the ridgelines of hills.

Its quite unusual for Cavalry to rout infantry easily - was this in a single engagement or over multiple turns?

I tend to move to just outside volley/skirmish range and try to tempt the enemy forward. If they don't, I'm happy to play a waiting game while I bring numbers to bear elsewhere. In this case I'd have been tempted to go for the Spanish and look to hold the British on their ridgeline.

The key to Blucher is having a reserve and deploying it where it can exploit a position that has been worn down. Reserve moves are pretty spectacular and can bring a force into the fray very quickly.

Frank Carson

Steve J

) What ruleset do you use in your last game? - Black Powder with SYW add ons from the Last Argument of Kings supplement
2) What armies were confronted? - Prussians vs Austrians
3) Did you feel comfortable with the ruleset? - Yes.
4) and... was the first time do you use the ruleset? - No.

Leman

1. W1815
2. French v Allies at Waterloo
3. Felt very comfortable with the rules after a couple of games
4. First time used but relatively straightforward after a couple of goes
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

wurrukatte

1. Blucher
2. French v Prussian
3. Yes, introduced some chums to the game, played out a Scharnhorst mini campaign to start and created a battle from that.
no adverse feedback and they all seemed to enjoy it.
4. No

W

KTravlos

My last game was Nikopol 1877 using Big Bloody Battles.

1) Big Bloody Battles
2) Ottomans vs. Russians
3) Hashing out some terrain rules. This was my second game. Most parts of the rules have been internalized.
4) First time in interpersonal game, second total.