Custom Bases?

Started by Finz, 03 January 2013, 10:40:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

petercooman

Yeah card stock could work, and otherwise some 1 mm Thick plasticard? You can get it cheapisch on ebay.

Finz

Can you print onto plasticard with, say, a laser printer or would you have to glue paper to the plasticard?

Finz

24 January 2013, 08:31:55 AM #17 Last Edit: 24 January 2013, 08:40:43 AM by Finz
Well I've gathered the supplies and here is my first attempt.  Unfortunately I'm not very happy with it.  The re-positionable spray adhesive was closer to a gel than anything else (I used Loctite).  It was quite messy for something this size and it didn't want to hold very well at first which is expected.  I went over the piece with the matte sealant (Mod Podge) and came back later, you can see in the picture it looks to have almost bled through.  Upon writing this I find that that part can be scratched off (akin to dry skin I suppose).  As you can see it doesn't quite match it's original as closely as I had hoped.  I'll have to make the image a bit darker, all of the ones other than this water one match better.  So I should probably switch to a glossy sealant(no idea which though), but should I also switch from matte to glossy photo paper?

barbarian

As for the spray, use the red 3M. Permanent.

Spray the paper (in a box) not too close. Wait 1 minute. Glue.

Don't try to varnish, it will cause some parts to become transparent.

Use a good paper.
2015 Painting Competition - Winner!
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Finz

So use 3M for the glue?  Repositionable? Super 77?  Something else? 
So don't try to seal it, but won't it wear out eventually, get wear and tear, etc?
And what constitutes good paper?  I just took my photos to a service that would get me 4x6 matter photo paper prints.

barbarian

3M : The RED one. Photo mount. Costs (a lot) but this is good stuff. (used in graphic design)

Good paper is coated and at least 180. You may have to look for heavier, but cost rises. I'd use an online printer if I were you.

For the colors, you won't be able to have the right color except by try and error. (common problem on the graphic chain of production)

For the seal, I'd try those for art, in spray, but with the first sprays really really light : You don't want to wet the paper. Let dry between any applications. You'll have to do it a lot : 7 or 8 times. Last applications can be heavier. The main problem, is where the paper is cut, the seal will enter there.

Finz

24 January 2013, 06:51:06 PM #21 Last Edit: 24 January 2013, 07:12:59 PM by Finz
Alright so I believe Super 77 is the "Red" one.

I'm not sure what the 180 is you're referring to.  I've heard of coated paper but all I have is an ink jet printer, would that suffice?  I don't have 2 weeks to send a job out to an online printer, unless you were referring to a place to order the paper.  Printing at home would also be easier for trial and error.

So glossy seal it is then, will make them shiny like the other pieces.

OldenBUA

The 180 is the paper density in grams/m2. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paper_density

Standard paper for copiers/printing is usually 80 gm/m2

Water is indeed the essential ingredient of life, because without water you can't make coffee!

Aander lu bin óók lu.

barbarian

Yeah. 180 gr. But 240 is better.

Usually, online print arrives in 3-4 days.

This is the spray you're looking for.

Finz

Do you have a service you could recommend?  It gets rid of the trial and error test for color, but it's close enough for me.