Custom Bases?

Started by Finz, 03 January 2013, 10:40:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Finz

I sent out an email yesterday inquiring about custom hexagonal bases but haven't yet received a reply.  I've also tried sending a message to the facebook group to no avail as well.  So will Minibits do any size?  I need ones that are 77mm flat to flat.  It'd be perfect if I could get them in 4mm thickness, otherwise I could just buy twice as much and glue them together or something, no idea how that would turn out at all >.<  I'm using them to expand my 15th anniversary Catan set which uses 4mm mdf.  They never released any expansions for it nor does it seem likely they will.  I've been on a wild goose chase the past couple of days searching from site to site for someone that might be able to help me with this, but most don't do custom sizes or they have the wrong material/thickness/size.  Couldn't find the material locally either to attempt it myself, but I doubt I'd be able to cut them correctly. 

Can Minibits solve my dilemma?

petercooman

Hey Finz!

Just wanted to let you know the owner of minibits is 'out' this week because he is sick, so maybe his reply might take a bit longer.

http://www.pendrakenforum.co.uk/index.php/topic,6622.0.html

Cheers
Peter

Finz

Ah, thanks Peter.  Never would have seen that.  Well, I can be patient, no problem.  Hope you feel better soon Leon!

petercooman

No problemo ;)

I do think he can make customs as far as i know, but i don't know how precise, so keep your fingers crossed  :P

Sevej

I did ask about this one, and he can do it. I was asking to make some custom bases for DBA forests.

Finz

Any idea of what the best way to get graphics on top of them would be?  The art isn't even online that I'm aware of, so I have to either scan it in or take a picture of it and then print them off onto sticker paper in the correct size and cut them out.  I wonder how it's actually done  :-\

fred.

Scan, print on stickers and cut to size is probably your best option - getting the edges neat may be tricky.

I don't know if you can print a large sheet of stickers, get that stuck to the MDF then cut the hexes - again getting everything aligned may proved tricky - and the heat of the laser might be a problem - the edges of the MDF come out a very dark brown.
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

Sevej

Make the image 2mm smaller than the actual hex. Paint the MDF hex  black (or other color). Print on thick paper (matte photo paper?), cut to size. Use spray mount that allows you to relocate your paper. After you get in on the right position, spray with matte sealant.

Finz

Still waiting to hear back from Leon about getting the actual hexes (hopefully soon) but that's an interesting idea with just using thicker paper, gluing and sealing it.  I don't need to paint the hexes as the existing ones are unpainted mdf as well.  The art sort of has a natural border on it, unless printing it 2mm smaller is just for wiggle room.  If it is hanging off the edge a tag I think an Xacto would trim it to a nice edge.  Thanks for the ideas.

barbarian

I' say, he may do the contrary :
Print 2-4 mm larger.
Glue.
Then turn the base up side down.
Cut with X-acto.
Et voilà, clean edges.

With the other technique, it will prove to be hard to center the print on the base.
2015 Painting Competition - Winner!
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Sevej

I did it that way back then. But too much slips so I use the new way.

@Finz: The mdf hexes will have burn mark (from... you know... LAYZ-er). They will be blackened at the edge.

Finz

Alright Sevej, so what do you suggest?  What's the "new way"?

Sevej

As I suggested above, smaller image for wiggle room.

(forgot to mention if you make larger image it can potentially cause "off-center" images, except if you get an image designed with bleed--excess image field intended to compensate little inaccuracies of machine cutting)

barbarian

The need of bleed is obvious. :)
2015 Painting Competition - Winner!
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Finz

10 January 2013, 08:26:26 PM #14 Last Edit: 10 January 2013, 08:29:27 PM by Finz
I suppose you could say it's designed with bleed; each hex has a bit of a "border" around the outside that is designed for roads to be placed on top without obstructing the image.  So I believe printing it a tad larger, adhering, and trimming it upside-down with a blade is the best way to go.

@Sevej And even if the edges are blackened I'm fine with it.  The majority of the hex will match the others.  Otherwise I'd end up painting all 80 of them >.<

The only other problem is thickness.  The new ones will be 3mm bases while the current are 4mm.  This was the fastest and easiest option for Leon and I both, but I'm wondering if I could just print on a thicker material.  That way it would compensate for that extra .5-1mm.  Not sure what the best option is.  Card-stock?  Ideas?