24/12/12 - Techno!

Started by Leon, 24 December 2012, 05:26:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

seano1815

:-bd great insight into you're world Phil enjoyed reading it :D, things that bring back happy memories to me too like Airfix ;D loved them when i was a kid ;D
all the best
Sean

Techno

Quote from: petercooman on 02 January 2013, 06:37:32 PM
Sadly christmass is gone or you could ask a bottle as a present  ;D

;D ;D ;D ;D

Quote from: seano1815 on 03 January 2013, 10:34:46 PM
:-bd great insight into you're world Phil enjoyed reading it :D, things that bring back happy memories to me too like Airfix ;D loved them when i was a kid ;D
all the best
Sean

Cheers Sean !  ;)

Vulpine

Very interesting indeed sir!  :o you have Labs! I love labs!

What models did you sculpt for GW? Any 40k?

You're just a pathetic
bunch of tin soldiers,
skulking around the
galaxy in an ancient
spaceship!

petercooman

Vulpine

Thanks PC! He's fab, a tad cheeky and not totally obedient, but he's a really good natured little guy!

Oh, stealing Techno lime light here... Soz Tec mate!
You're just a pathetic
bunch of tin soldiers,
skulking around the
galaxy in an ancient
spaceship!

Techno

Don't be daft V.... :)
Great looking 'dawg'.....Never owned a 'chocolate' one.
How old is he ?

The only models I 'sculpted' while I was at GW were for my own benefit....None of them got commercially released.
Because they're supposedly 'rare' they sometimes go for silly money to collectors.
I haven't even got a copy of my favourite one....A very long armed troll.
You wouldn't be terribly impressed if you saw them ;) ;D ;D

Cheers - Phil.

Vulpine

Hi Tec,

He's 15mnt, he's small for a lab, but he's all mussel, it's scary when I'm playing with him sometimes! I know he want to be in charge, I just don't let him know he probably could pull rank!

So what did you do at GW? 
You're just a pathetic
bunch of tin soldiers,
skulking around the
galaxy in an ancient
spaceship!

Techno

Quote from: Vulpine on 08 January 2013, 09:43:07 AM
Hi Tec,
He's 15mnt, he's small for a lab, but he's all mussel, it's scary when I'm playing with him sometimes! I know he want to be in charge, I just don't let him know he probably could pull rank!
So what did you do at GW? 

Hmmmm.....Started off as their photographer (For about a year..got bored.... hated taking photo's).....Got put in charge of the figure painters after that.... writing 'Eavy Metal for a while....Then got put I/C of the designers....Which basically meant I had to help co-ordinate some sort of schedule for the production of the green masters.
Finally ended up working on a monthly modelling feature for WD with Dave Andrews...Got made surplus to requirements. :o ;)

That's it in a nutshell. ;) ;D ;D ;D

Cheers - Phil

Vulpine

I always imagined the HQ (I was a staffer at one point) being a bunch of .... You know, not really care about the game, just interested in £. I except they must make cash. I make cash decorating but I really work to make my customers happy and the cash sorts its self out!
You're just a pathetic
bunch of tin soldiers,
skulking around the
galaxy in an ancient
spaceship!

Techno

Quote from: Vulpine on 08 January 2013, 05:41:09 PM
I always imagined the HQ (I was a staffer at one point) being a bunch of .... You know, not really care about the game, just interested in £. I except they must make cash. I make cash decorating but I really work to make my customers happy and the cash sorts its self out!

No V....I'd have to say that the studio in those days really DID care about what was being put out....Bryan certainly did......It could be enormous fun to work there....But also just the opposite.
From what we heard...The factory, then at Eastwood, thought we had it nice and easy......Perhaps we did compared to them ! ;)

A really good bunch of people to work with in those days.

What I hear of it nowadays.....admittedly third or fourth hand.....Doesn't sound like the same place.

Cheers - Phil.

Vulpine

08 January 2013, 08:22:27 PM #40 Last Edit: 08 January 2013, 08:24:49 PM by Vulpine
When I worked at GW (5 years ago) it was a odd job. Some days (unusually when I was up in the gaming room) it was a fab job! I loved talking to 'gamers' and generally helping people. Nothing better than when someone needed advice or was stuck with something and I could help them. Especially little people. Also the fellow workers were top lads (almost all).

But then there was the stock checking, painting man after man of shops models to the point when you didn't want to do your own. Then, believe it or not, we as staff were told that we could not keep using our same army on the floor and should have 'recent release' armies! So while my lass was trying to keep the bills paid I was buying models and I only got £6perhur! The hours sucked and working every sat and Sunday.

But worse were the politics. If you try to help a customer and they said "I'm just looking" you had to ask 20 questions encore leaving them "what army are you doing" "what did you last paint" etc. and crap like when we were given a A4 sheet of soon to be released info to tell customers about, then (due to another pointless LOTR release) we had to stop talking about it and talk about LoTR. So the lad I was talking about Dark Angels with would come in the next day "any more DA or Eldar info" and I'd have to say "nope, but Lord of the rings!" He don't play LOTRs! So turned out to be a very bad job indeed .
You're just a pathetic
bunch of tin soldiers,
skulking around the
galaxy in an ancient
spaceship!

Techno

Quote from: Vulpine on 08 January 2013, 08:22:27 PM
.... then there was the stock checking, painting man after man of shops models to the point when you didn't want to do your own. Then, believe it or not, we as staff were told that we could not keep using our same army on the floor and should have 'recent release' armies! So while my lass was trying to keep the bills paid I was buying models and I only got £6perhur! The hours sucked and working every sat and Sunday.

As regards not wanting to paint your own figures....I can understand that, especially if you were having to do army after army....In a similar way, I couldn't bear using my own camera to take pictures at home, because I was taking shots all day at the studio....with one hell of a camera.

You didn't pay anything like full price for the figures you HAD to paint.....did you ?

Quote from: Vulpine on 08 January 2013, 08:22:27 PM
But worse were the politics. If you try to help a customer and they said "I'm just looking" you had to ask 20 questions encore leaving them "what army are you doing" "what did you last paint" etc. and crap like when we were given a A4 sheet of soon to be released info to tell customers about, then (due to another pointless LOTR release) we had to stop talking about it and talk about LoTR. So the lad I was talking about Dark Angels with would come in the next day "any more DA or Eldar info" and I'd have to say "nope, but Lord of the rings!" He don't play LOTRs! So turned out to be a very bad job indeed .

Hmmm.....Having to go through that sort of routine for sales is probably worse for the customer as well.
I think most people get annoyed if they're ignored in a shop..(I certainly do)...But having someone bombarding you with questions when you just want to browse around in your own sweet time is possibly even more irritating.
I went into the Hammersmith (?) branch of GW YEARS ago with a posse from Heartbreaker Games and had some young, over enthusiastic chap dancing around, asking question after question...."Are you familiar with our products ?.....what are you interested in ?....etc. etc."
I really wanted to tell him to "Bogger Off !....We're spying !"  ;D ;D

I sympathize as to why you 'lost your enthusiasm'.  ;) ;D

Cheers - Phil.

Vulpine

08 January 2013, 09:58:21 PM #42 Last Edit: 08 January 2013, 10:37:54 PM by Vulpine
50% but an army would be £150 instead of £300. Still no good with bills. Not as if GW would lose cash on that?
You're just a pathetic
bunch of tin soldiers,
skulking around the
galaxy in an ancient
spaceship!

Techno

Blimey !
In my time we could buy the metal figures at the cost price of the metal..with a tiny bit added for production costs.
I think it worked out, in those days, at around 14p for the 'average' '30'mm figure :-\.. And it was a pretty nominal price for the handful of plastics that were around then.

Cheers - Phil.

Vulpine

08 January 2013, 11:11:38 PM #44 Last Edit: 08 January 2013, 11:32:22 PM by Vulpine
Nope, they just put a stop to that when I joined.

Tell you another story, a mate of mine in another branch was part time (Saturday only). When there he did an Eldar iyanden army. Very nicely painted (I always find Yellow a difficult colour to paint. Any way, they decided to make the store a 'one man' store.

So unfortunatly during the week he had a phone call telling him he was redundant (under the contract, if let go within 3mnt they don't have to give warning, that is what it says, I know it happend to me!).

The ex-Part timer walked into the store on the Saturday to pick his bits up only to find a new manager to take the rains of the one man store. He very politely introduced him self to the manager and said 'I've come for my Eldar army' the manager replied " Sorry, that's Games Workshops models, in Games workshops cabinet, I don't know there yours, any way you got them while you worked at GW so by contract there GWs and I want to keep em in our cabinet" that manager is gone now.

I stopped going to GW Durham when he took over (other stories I could go in to tell about him but I would hate to think people thought I was twisting)
You're just a pathetic
bunch of tin soldiers,
skulking around the
galaxy in an ancient
spaceship!