10mm Doctor Who - Time Lord Alliance Vr Daleks

Started by Vulpine, 22 December 2012, 12:11:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vulpine

22 December 2012, 12:11:14 AM Last Edit: 22 December 2012, 12:43:43 AM by Vulpine
He we go then...

Intro
Me (AKA Joel AKA Vulpine) and my mate Ant (AKA Dim_Reaper) have been working on Rules and sculpting models for a Doctor Who Time Wars game. Infact some of you may have seen my thread in the subject ( http://www.pendrakenforum.co.uk/index.php/topic,6028.0.html ).

We have been doing some play testing for the rules and have got to a point in wich we decided to post the BatRep prior to releasing the rules (Early Jan!) . Enjoy....

Post Game

So first up, what scenario, for the Batrep we thought a simple Seek and Destroy! 200pts each, 5 Turns. I would be the Time Lord Alliance (At the moment that's Humans and gallifreyan's) and Dim_Reaper would be Daleks.

Dalek Force

Command:
1x Dalek invasion Leader with Retinue of 10 Daleks
Basic:
2x Dalek Patrol - 5 Daleks
4x Dalek Trooper Squad - 10 Troopers and LMG Upgrade
Veterans:
None
Support
1x Dalek squad - 10 Daleks
1x Dalek Trooper Heavy weapons Squad - 5 Troopers

A very strong force, A Dalek Commander means you ignore troopers when it comes to the at rolling to bottle, also of the troopers flee, the Daleks blast them to make them rally!  With 2 squads of 10 Daleks its got a very strong backbone and with a lot of troopers meaning that this force has numbers also. Finally two squads of 5 Dalkes, fantastic at standing behind Troopers and making sure they know what way to face!

Time Lord alliance

Command:
1x Castellan with Retinue of 10 chancellery guard
Basic:
5x Chancellery guard - 10 Guards
1x Marines - 10 Marines with LMG
Veteran:
1x Time Lord Warrior squad - 8 Time Lords
2x U.N.I.T squads - 10 UNIT with LMG and Trucks
Support:
None

I've gone for a fast army list. Chancellery guard are quick but can't take LMGs and don't have incredibly decent weapons or stats. However they cover ground quickly. Even faster are the Time Lord warriors squad expensive and fragile but they are skilled in combat as well as shooting, Usually TLW are in small squads of 3or4 but I had the point to take one large squad. I took a squad of marines as they have good equipment including a LMG, unfortunately they are slow so once my army hits trouble it will be a turn or two before these guys get in. Last of all I have two squads of UNIT, they have decent stats and a LMG, although they don't have the armour that marines have they have trucks making them very fast indeed.      

Set Up

Well I was very lucky, I got to chose the what side of the field to set up. This did mean the enemy would know the way I plan to deploy. But I do have a trick up my Sleeve... I set up with a UNIT truck on each flank and also my Time Lord Warriors on my Right flank. This making my right flank look heavy. The rest of my army set up quite central with my marines slightly to the left, making them closer to the farm as possible and also helping protect my right. Dim_Reaper set up rather central, this was quite a shame as I wanted him to go for one of my flanks (either my strong or week), now for my trick, the Time Lord Castellan's ability is to redeploy D3 Squads, I role a 1, however that will do, I moved my 2nd UNIT truck to my left.
You're just a pathetic
bunch of tin soldiers,
skulking around the
galaxy in an ancient
spaceship!

Vulpine

22 December 2012, 01:01:39 AM #1 Last Edit: 22 December 2012, 01:30:24 AM by Vulpine
Turn 1 and 2

I role to go first!

First I wanted to take the west and east Hills a job for Chancellery guard and my Marines.  That way I could get good fire power onto the Farm if the Dalek force got to it before me. I sent my Time Lord Warriors up my right, and my two UNIT trucks to my left. I wanted to get parallel with the Dalek force. As your own troops can block your line of sight if they are out of your 'short range' and as D_R had his troops lined wide I was hoping to make sure that only the two units to the far side could fire at me. Finally my two middle units (one containing my commander) made off towards the Farm.

D_R had decided to refuse flank. This is what I wanted, his army is a lot slower than mine, especially if he doesn't want his troopers going too far ahead. Not only slower he was now moving sideways towards my UNIT trucks, giving me time to take both hills and get two units into the Farm and into cover. D_Rs Squads had started blocking each others line of sight at suck a wide angle. However this wasn't good enough and his squad of Dalek troopers opened fire on a UNIT truck. I was slowing my trucks hoping that the range would limit the effect of his weapons, however I miss judged the hired forces of the Daleks, as they strafed the truck with Machine-Gun fire and laser riffles one of the trucks exploded, the Transported squad inside managed to get out but three were killed by the flames!    
You're just a pathetic
bunch of tin soldiers,
skulking around the
galaxy in an ancient
spaceship!

Vulpine

Turn 3

Now that the Daleks force had moved to my left giving me the extra turn to get to the farm my UNIT fell back. The UNIT in the truck drove onto my well guarded West hill. What remained of my other squad of UNIT headed for the hill also Whilst giving fire. I now knew I had pivotal on the Farm so I decided my Marines and Chancellery Guard in the East hills should advance in order to bolster my farms Defence. They sat still in turn 2, I should have moved them in earlier (oh well!). My two Chancellery Guard units, including my Castilian moved into the buildings for more cover and gave fire.     

D_R Gave the order for his block to head towards the Farm, I was hoping he would split, some after my UNIT and the West hill, possibly a squad towards my Time Lord Warriors and the rest at the farm but he refused to be cut into smaller peaces. I'd have to jab at this block like eating a bowl of rice with a tooth pick. He fired on my weaker squad of UNIT unfortunately he killed them!

You're just a pathetic
bunch of tin soldiers,
skulking around the
galaxy in an ancient
spaceship!

Vulpine

22 December 2012, 01:45:04 AM #3 Last Edit: 22 December 2012, 02:06:16 AM by Vulpine
Turn 4

My West hill rained fire towards the enemy. Thirty Chancellery Gurad now bolstered by UNIT and there LMG.  Although at a long range, the constant barrage seamed to be slowly working. My Time Lord Warriors came from behind picking on a deadly but at this angle, unprotected Trooper Heavy weapons squads. The Heavy weapon squad with five LMGs worried my almost as much as the Daleks them selfs. The Chancellery guard from the East hill had made it to the Farm that was giving out fire. The farmyard echoed with laser fire as the two units managed to whittle a squad of troopers down to five men. The squad went to flee but standing behind them were two Daleks who instantly, without care blasted two of the fleeing troopers, the final three quickly turned on there heal on returned into the fray. D_R stud as a large block on the horizon and started pounding away at the walls of the farm. Chancellery guard clung to cover as best they could. Although I did take some casualties it was minor thanks to the cover.  

Turn 5

This was it, last turn and the Daleka were still out of short range. My Chancellery guard and UNIT on the west hill managed to take a squad of troopers to half strength and so my men is the farm fired as many shots as possible down on the block and tool out a hole squad of troopers. My Timelords managed to take out a small Patro of Daleks on there own and my Marines finally got into range and also took out a Patrol of Daleks.

Now with Victory impossible to gain back D_R held out his hand.

Conclusion

I believe I won due to four major factor, I managed to get the side with more cover, I got first first turn, allowing me to try and get into cover quickly, almost all my men a fast and finally Dim_Reaper moved his forces west instead of straight towards the farm. However, Dim ain't Dim, I don't think ill catch him out next time!

I enjoyed the game however, I ain't that keen on the well polished and drilled Chancellery guard (bloody snobs!), however a Human Marine/UNIT force could be an idea.

I also played a game against an outsider from these rules. He played Daleks and managed to beat me... Only just mind, I had 6 chancellery guard left and he had 10 Daleks and 10 Troopers.

So, what's next? Well the rules should be on line soon, so keep an eye out. Also I have painted 400pts of Cybermen and a boat loa of Vogans, so they will be next for play testing ready for our first supplement (cybermen) and glued to lolly pop sticks at the moment are some Daleks sprayed white, they will be for the second supplement (Dalek Civil war) and then there are the sculpts for the next mould, including Sontarns, Ogrons, SpecialWeapons Daleks, The Master, Draconions, Morbious, Davros and the first five Doctors (and more).

Hope you enjoyed the battle!

You're just a pathetic
bunch of tin soldiers,
skulking around the
galaxy in an ancient
spaceship!

nikharwood

Luddite

Great stuff Vulpine old chap!

I think round bases would have looked better, but other than that, excellent!

This I think is a real classic approach to wargaming that we should all admire - something lost to the mists of time.

1.  Desire to do Dr Who wargame
2.  Sculpt own figures
3.  Get top quality company to cast them for you
4.  Write own rules
5.  Play & enjoy

Does it get better?

=D> :-bd =D>
http://www.durhamwargames.co.uk/
http://luddite1811.blogspot.co.uk/

"It is by tea alone i set my mind in motion.  It is by the juice of Typhoo my thoughs acquire speed the teeth acquire stains, the stains serve as a warning.  It is by tea alone i set my mind in motion."

"The secret we should never let the gamemasters know is that they don't need any rules." - Gary Gygax
"Maybe emu trampling created the desert?" - FierceKitty

2012 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

"I have become inappropriately excited by the thought of a compendium of OOBs." FSN

Vulpine

22 December 2012, 04:43:46 PM #6 Last Edit: 22 December 2012, 04:46:26 PM by Vulpine
Thanks Nik!

Tar Lud (AKA guy who killed me in CP2020 RPG!)

Bases wise, we mulled for ages, tiny round ones looked odd, large made in daft, also Hex means you can bunch your guys up (I know you can with round but 1cm bases look really strange)... But, if you were to play I can't see it being a problem as long as the bases are the same size.

The other comment is really nice tho Lud! Thanks man. It's been a long journey. I think we started  planing end of August so here we are!

Not only what you have said but the fact that the rules ain't influenced by sales or unfair reasons its given ya the freedom to wright a system based on just what we wanted the game to do. I keep going on about the 3Fs but it does fit with mine and Dim_Reapers idia's,

Does it FIT with what you imagine? Yeah, Daleks are slow and almost unkillable, there guns zap the pants of humans and if they take casultys they run! That only works if you get plenty fire power on them, human Vr human around 3 a turn die, seams to work. Cybermen are menasing, slow, fearless unstoppable killing machines and Timelords are skilled but fragile.

Is it Fair? So far so good, no units are a "ill take then cuz there dirt!" Or "I'm not taking them, over priced in pts and pants" and we have seen Daleks lose and Galls.

Is it fun? Hell yeah, fast pasted and no stupid rule braking loop holes. We basically go "can someone misuse that rule" if the a sure is yes it's removed.

We have just been talking about Sontarens. They will be a nice addition to the system, cheaper and faster than the Daleka and Cybermen and they will be very well trained and veterans of wars! We are talking about them getting slower as the game goes on (Sonthing like -1 to the run role for evey turn that goes on and such) but were talking about them using the old ball looking flyers, as possible air offensives or deploying troops.

You're just a pathetic
bunch of tin soldiers,
skulking around the
galaxy in an ancient
spaceship!

petercooman

Luddite

Quote from: Vulpine on 22 December 2012, 04:43:46 PM
(AKA guy who killed me in CP2020 RPG!)

I believe that was karma old chap.

Your yearbook status is after all; 'player character most likely to get the rest of the player characters killed in a Total Party Kill situation'.

;) ;D =O
http://www.durhamwargames.co.uk/
http://luddite1811.blogspot.co.uk/

"It is by tea alone i set my mind in motion.  It is by the juice of Typhoo my thoughs acquire speed the teeth acquire stains, the stains serve as a warning.  It is by tea alone i set my mind in motion."

"The secret we should never let the gamemasters know is that they don't need any rules." - Gary Gygax
"Maybe emu trampling created the desert?" - FierceKitty

2012 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

"I have become inappropriately excited by the thought of a compendium of OOBs." FSN

Vulpine

You're just a pathetic
bunch of tin soldiers,
skulking around the
galaxy in an ancient
spaceship!

Blaxkleric

Excellent visuals and SFX  :-bd

Personally I like the hexagon bases... don't know if its a throw-back to my old Citadel Doctor Who RPG days, but for some reason I like them on Sci-Fi models.

Well played, sir.  =D> =D> =D>

Vulpine

Thanks Blaxkleric. Yeah I think the 15mm Hex look smart. It also gives the opportunity to put your infantry into ranks.
You're just a pathetic
bunch of tin soldiers,
skulking around the
galaxy in an ancient
spaceship!

Vulpine

For those interested the bases are  BH15

15mm hexagons, 30 bases per pack £1.10
You're just a pathetic
bunch of tin soldiers,
skulking around the
galaxy in an ancient