I hate modern artillery.

Started by FierceKitty, 30 December 2012, 09:17:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FierceKitty

A Zulu army doesn't have a chance on a level field, does it? Here's hoping for a lot more concealing terrain next time.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

sebigboss79

Was it not very "open" in reality as well???  :-\

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

Modern artillery - in 1879?

Well thats what I assume.

IanS
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

FierceKitty

Quote from: ianrs54 on 30 December 2012, 09:48:58 AM
Modern artillery - in 1879?

Well thats what I assume.

IanS
In five thousand years of history, and quite a few millenia of armed encounters before that, it's very modern.

sultanbev

The trick to any colonial 19th Century encounter is terrain. Lots of it. Otherwise the natives won't stand a chance. Plus they live there so should be able to make use of that terrain in terms of hidden deployments and movement rates.

Real battlefields are rarely a bowling green with 1 house a hill and a 1 wood as promoted for decades by WRG ancients, who have a lot of bad ideas to answer for  >:(

It's more laughable for ancients, considering the world was much less populated and farmed then, so much more of the terrain would have been wild natural growth.

Mark

Mark - Italians in Ethiopia - 1890's.

IanS
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Steve J

Yep, lots of scrub, depressions and 'wadis' make for a better game.

FierceKitty

I know; last time they had the Brits for breakfast. But today the terrain tables didn't give us much cover. It didn't help us that every British roll was favourable; the only unit to run out of ammo was the 17th Lancers (not a major headache for cavalry), not one gatling jammed, the rocket-launcher never fired in vain, and by the time we were close enough to charge home, our morale was all wibbley. The Brits lost one Englishman (scout: Sgt Rodney "Brass Balls" Edgecombe) and the colonial auxilliaries. We had two whole impis whacked out, and most others beneath 50% by the time we surrendered.

FierceKitty

Quote from: Steve J on 30 December 2012, 01:50:10 PM
... 'wadis' ....
'dongas' in South Afrinca, the first vowel deeper than in English, with lips a little pursed (like the German equivalent in 'Potsdam'). Weak second syllable.

Steve J

Thanks for the clarification Fierce :).

FierceKitty

It's hell being a teacher; you never get to turn it off.