Bases with rounded corners??

Started by fulcrum, 10 December 2012, 06:25:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fulcrum

Leon,

Are you able to supply MDF bases with the corners rounded off (say a 1.5mm radius circle).

Regards

Lee

Leon

We've been meaning to get some of those sorted actually, to match in with a 'popular WWII 15mm' game...  :D 

If you pop me the dimensions you'd like the bases to be, and we'll see what we can get sorted.

8)
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

fulcrum

Leon,

I don't want them for THE "popular WWII 15mm game", but I'd be happy to go with whatever radius corners they use in order to make your life easier!!

I'll send you an email....

Regards

Lee

Leon

Quote from: fulcrum on 10 December 2012, 06:45:50 PM
I don't want them for THE "popular WWII 15mm game", but I'd be happy to go with whatever radius corners they use in order to make your life easier!!

I'll send you an email....

Got it, I'll get back to you later on when I get in tonight.

8)
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

Hertsblue

You don't need bases with rounded corners to fight that particular popular 15mm game. In fact, gaming in 10mm, you can use whatever size, shape or colour bases you like!  :D
When you realise we're all mad, life makes a lot more sense.

www.rulesdepot.net

Orcs

Quote from: Hertsblue on 11 December 2012, 09:29:46 AM
You don't need bases with rounded corners to fight that particular popular 15mm game. In fact, gaming in 10mm, you can use whatever size, shape or colour bases you like!  :D
So what your actually saying is that you are not Basists, but quite possibly those rules who do specify a particular base style/ size or type are.  :)

To carry this thouht further does this mean those manufacturers who make figures for slotta bases are being segregationalist, as its a complete bugger trying to base thse figures in any other way, say on washers or coins.

Perhaps we should start a non-political, multicultural movement against figures that cannot easily be based on any form of flat base or any ruleset that insists on a specific base size. Perhaps the "Flat base Society"?

The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

Luddite

[tongue in cheek mode]

I reject you multiculturalism. 

I'm basist and proud!

1" squares for F&F
Four by twos for DBM
Rounds for skirmishing

Got to keep them separate or they'll start mixing and we'll end up with irregular star pattern.  Then where will we be eh?

Bad enough we let ground scales go. 

'As I look ahead, I am filled with foreboding. Like the Roman, I seem to see "the River Tiber foaming with measurement by multiples of base widths".

[/tongue in cheek mode]

:D

http://www.durhamwargames.co.uk/
http://luddite1811.blogspot.co.uk/

"It is by tea alone i set my mind in motion.  It is by the juice of Typhoo my thoughs acquire speed the teeth acquire stains, the stains serve as a warning.  It is by tea alone i set my mind in motion."

"The secret we should never let the gamemasters know is that they don't need any rules." - Gary Gygax
"Maybe emu trampling created the desert?" - FierceKitty

2012 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

"I have become inappropriately excited by the thought of a compendium of OOBs." FSN

fulcrum

...before anyone shouts "follow the gourd"....

I prefer my vehicles on rounded corner bases and all my 10mm WW2 infantry will be based in twos on 20mm [rounded corner] squares

My Colonial Sudan is on 20mm squares, my ACW will be on 25mm squares but strangely my 10mm SYW is on 25mm [rounded corner] squares

I am consistent in my inconsistency!

Question - Is there a proper name for a square/rectangle with rounded corners? - and it isn't squircle, that doesn't have any straight sides.

Apparently the Bermuda Triangle used to be called The Bermuda Rectangle...
Until one of the sides mysteriously disappeared.

Lee

Albie Bach

Quote from: fulcrum on 11 December 2012, 05:09:57 PM
Question - Is there a proper name for a square/rectangle with rounded corners? - and it isn't squircle, that doesn't have any straight sides.
Rounded square / Rounded rectangle
Sadly no longer with us - RIP (2018)

Hertsblue

Quote from: Luddite on 11 December 2012, 04:17:23 PM

I'm basist and proud!

:D

I thought a "basist" was someone with a large fiddle. Mind you, that sums up your average wargamer anyway.  ;)
When you realise we're all mad, life makes a lot more sense.

www.rulesdepot.net

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Quote from: Albie Bach on 11 December 2012, 06:19:16 PM
Rounded square / Rounded rectangle

You're not going to believe this, they are called 'Squircles'!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Squircle
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Malbork

Interesting link there lemmy but am I the only person who can't see the difference between the blue squircle and the red rounded square? Or have I got my colours mixed? :-\

Techno

:-\

That's interesting....And I'm not sure if my eyes are playing tricks on me, 'optical illusion' wise.
To me....and I admit I may be imagining it....the 'blue' one at the top has sides that have a tiny curve in them.
The red one at the bottom....to me...the sides are straight... with the corners rounded off.

My imagination ?.....Or just my usual rubbish perception of (in this case) a couple of two dimensional pictures @-) @-)

Cheers - Phil

Orcs

12 December 2012, 03:57:35 PM #13 Last Edit: 12 December 2012, 09:46:17 PM by Leon
Quote from: Luddite on 11 December 2012, 04:17:23 PM
[tongue in cheek mode]

I reject you multiculturalism.  

Got to keep them separate or they'll start mixing and we'll end up with irregular star pattern.  Then where will we be eh?

Bad enough we let ground scales go.  

'As I look ahead, I am filled with foreboding. Like the Roman, I seem to see "the River Tiber foaming with measurement by multiples of base widths".

[/tongue in cheek mode]

I am not multi-cultural. When in Rome etc. and obviously not PC ( see my jokes). :d  I also dislike the measurement with base widths. Unless they are 1 inch or 1cm as it means you have to constantly make calculations like

Infantry move 3 base widths and each base is 23.752mm wide so thats ???????? and My cannot fires 22.5 base withs etc etc.    :-\ :-\

EDIT: Quote fixed.
The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

fred.

That wikipedia article is the type of article in which it is hard to know if it is true, or just an elaborate hoax.
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts