Scrub/Brush in 10mm?

Started by mike40k, 18 May 2010, 03:36:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mike40k

I am thinking on terrain I need for my 10mm Sudan project. I need some scrub/brush for my Dervish to hide in. Any ideas what could be used/made?

nikharwood

I use lichen - a mix of 'real' & 'rubberised' - here's some pics (ok, this is 28mm gaming on a desert table for Royal Marines v Taliban, but you get the idea  ;D)

nikharwood

And this is a 6mm SADF v Angolan scrap with SteveJ - I think it looks pretty effective - and it's cheap & easy to scatter...

I also use it as 'filler' for woods, hedges etc in non-desert games as you can see here (this is 10mm):

Captain Verbeek

working on this one myself.  I read an aricle on 28mm sudan, where the guy used old welcome mats (astroturff I think) cut them to fit on a round base and used them.  I was thinking of using the same technique but with small washers.  Just need to find some sort of material like a welcome mat to glue on.  I will post pics when I find a good source.  have you seen my scratch built palm trees in the tutorial section.  ;D
Non Cadmus

nikharwood

Those cornfields you can see in my last pic are from a cut-up door mat...cost me about £4 & measured something like 3 ft x 2ft or so. I think you could cut it up into irrgualr shapes & it'd be quite effective as you say.

mike40k

Lichen seems like a good idea. Anyone know of an online supplier? I know of Woodland Scenics, any other companies sell the stuff in desert colours?

nikharwood

Have a look here: http://www.netmerchants.co.uk/search.php?jssCart=8ae880fbb535693ebc460f2cde2cf9af

Various colours...

Or go for a walk in the woods  ;) It'll dry out nicely & fade too. Oh, and it's free  8)

Inkerman

What paint are people using on bases for Sudan figures? 

The scrub in these images looks good, the right texture and color.  But the bases and stands of the figures also clearly have to be something other than the undercoat black then beasty brown then leather brown then bleached bone overpainting that I have recently started using for European and Crimean conflicts.  The Sudan clearly calls for a different set of colors, layered up.  Therefore, to save me the trouble of realizing the (or a) better system only after I have painted a bunch of bases, I thought I would ask the Sudan gamers to clue me in at the outset.

Thanks!

nikharwood

For my desert basing [like the 28mm figures above in this thread] I do this:

Undercoat: Black
Paint: Bestial Brown
Overbrush: Snakebite Leather
Drybrush: Desert Yellow
Light drybrush: Bleached Bone

Base edges: Graveyard Earth

Have a look at this [again, 28mm]: