What are you currently reading ?

Started by goat major, 03 November 2012, 06:40:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HPFlashman

15 July 2013, 08:20:56 PM #225 Last Edit: 15 July 2013, 08:51:01 PM by HPFlashman
In Norway, yes, undoubtedly.

English is taught from the third grade, with a choice of normally either French or German from the 7 grade.  
Best regards,

Harry

GordonY

Here's a simply spiffing idea, lets have all these foreign johnnies abolish their native languages and adopt English as their mother tongue, then anyone could read anything, and I'd at least have a chance of understanding the telly when I'm on my holidays.  ;D ;D ;D ;D

Techno

There's a rumour they may drop channel S4C over here, because barely any Welsh speakers even bother to watch it now.....So you might not have to worry about that particular station Gordon. ;)
Not that you'd be likely to come to Wales to top up your sun-tan though...... ;D ;D (Cue insult from Ian. :P)
Mind you.....The last couple of weeks.....Phew !.....Wotascorcha !
Cheers - Phil.

GordonY

I live in the (official fact this) the sunniest city in Scotland, we get more sun here than anywhere else in the country. So about 12 hours a year. AND so far there doesnt seem to be any plans of dropping the Gaelic programs, mind you its a hoot watching them, cue dialogue : "hurdy gurdy gurdy hurdy gurdy gurdy hurdy gurdy gurdy AEROPLANE hurdy gurdy gurdy hurdy gurdy gurdy hurdy gurdy gurdy AMBULANCE hurdy gurdy gurdy"

fsn

Ahem! Getting this thread back on topic ... I don't know who it is that distracts the forum into all sorts ... I've ditched the American Medieval History. Too much like Tony Curtis in "The Black Shield of Falworth".

So now, I'm reading "Suez: The Double War" by Roy Fullick and Geoffrey Powell.

Very readable history of the Suez Crisis. I'm still at the political bit, can't wait for the Centurions! 
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

fred.

I'm reading Shetland Bus, by David Howarth - his story of helping run the fishing trawlers that ran from Shetland to Norway during WWII. Not a part of the war I knew much about - the Norwegian crews were incredibly brave - they only sailed during the winter, and had to survive storms as well as German patrols.
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

Hertsblue

I can only think that language teaching on the continent is so much better than here. I did the standard six years of French at school and came away unable to string two sentences together. It's only recently, fifty years on, that I've gone back to school and am at least able to ask the way to the railway station. This is possibly due to the fact that my tutor is a native French-speaker.  :-bd

Of course, this may have something to do with my ability to learn.....  :(
When you realise we're all mad, life makes a lot more sense.

www.rulesdepot.net

fsn

Quote from: fred    12df on 15 July 2013, 10:13:25 PM
I'm reading Shetland Bus, by David Howarth - his story of helping run the fishing trawlers that ran from Shetland to Norway during WWII. Not a part of the war I knew much about - the Norwegian crews were incredibly brave - they only sailed during the winter, and had to survive storms as well as German patrols.

One of my favorite books - probably because I come from Shetland.
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Techno

Just borrowed "Storm from the East" (From Genghis Khan to Khubilai Khan) from the library van.
It's great....It's got lots of pretty pictures for me to look at. (I especially like the photo of the heavy cavalry charging towards the camera !...Only thing that spoils that is that all the actors are grinning like loons, rather than looking fierce ! ;)
Apparently it accompanied 'the major TV series'.....But as that was aired all the way back in 1993, there's not much chance of finding it on DVD. :'(
That'd have been rather useful for reference.

Not a bad read at all.

Cheers - Phil.

Gran76

Reading The Walking Dead : The road to woodbury which is getting me in the mood for some zombie gaming using All Things Zombie: Final fade out rules and some Pendraken zombies when they come out  8). Watched trailer for The Walking dead season 4 which gets me excited for October.   :)

Techno

Quote from: nikharwood on 27 July 2013, 09:20:10 AM
As if by magic...
http://watchdocumentary.org/watch/the-mongol-hordes-storm-from-the-east-episode-01-birth-of-an-empire-video_f760b6538.html
Enjoy, Phil  :)

Well I'll be hornswoggled !! ;)
Thanks Nik...I'll have to get some more speakers for the PC at some stage soon....
Cheers - Phil

nikharwood

goat major

Tonight I will start reading Henry Hyde's newly released Wargaming Compendium which looks like its going to be a classic to be ranked alongside the works of Featherstone, Grant etc.
My blog: https://goatmajor.org.uk/
My twitting: http://twitter.com/goatmajor

2014 Painting Competition - Winner!

Leman

Grey Tide in the East - a great read. What if, instead of invading Belgium in 1914, the Germans had launched their main offensive against Russia and simply held Alsace-Lorraine against the French. Britain now has no excuse for a declaration of war against Germany. Furthermore the French can't attack through Belgium because Britain has guaranteed its neutrality. Points to ponder (to quote Mr. Featherstone).
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!