What are you currently reading ?

Started by goat major, 03 November 2012, 06:40:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Techno

Leon

Quote from: fsn on 26 June 2013, 07:53:49 AM
The whole tension of the scene evaporated and these giant menances were reduced to multi-legged Telly Tubbies.

;D
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

goat major

Quote from: fsn on 26 June 2013, 07:53:49 AM
The whole tension of the scene evaporated and these giant menances were reduced to multi-legged Telly Tubbies.

well i for one find the thought of multi-legged Telly Tubbies quite tense indeed
My blog: https://goatmajor.org.uk/
My twitting: http://twitter.com/goatmajor

2014 Painting Competition - Winner!

Techno

I really do worry about you lot sometimes. :P :P
Cheers - Phil  ;) :)

Techno

Borrowed "How wars begin" by A.J.P. Taylor and started on that......
Finding that really quite useful for a quick understanding of European history from the Napoleonic Wars and onwards.
(I can go on to my copies of "Decisive battles of the Western World" with a bit more confidence after this.)

But boy,.....Is it showing me how really, really ignorant I am regarding history.. :-[ :-[ :-[....At least it's correcting lot of  preconceptions.
Cheers - Phil.

mart678

Hi Techno

Will give you an e-mail update in a day or two, I am currently reading ROAD OF BONES by FERGAL KEANE a very good book on Kohima and the build up and actions before it

Martin

NTM

Subscribing to Free Kindle Books is keeping me busy

Currently rerading; Elite Panzer Strike Force: Panzer Lehr in WWII

Viking Panzers, Panzer Tactics, couple of volumes on US 29th Infantry, several ACW books etc in the pipeline. Also have stuff like the Adventures of Sherlock Holmes on there and read one story every so often.

Also getting through some printed works just finished Op Bluecoat Over the Battlefield, 6th Guards Tank Brigade by Patrick Forbes arrived yesterday couple of chapters in already. About half way through Cornwell's Death of Kings too

Steve J

Tank Men by Robert Kershaw. Excellent book so far and much better than his one on the development of airborne forces.

fsn

Quote from: NTM on 10 July 2013, 11:12:08 AM

Also getting through some printed works just finished Op Bluecoat Over the Battlefield, 6th Guards Tank Brigade by Patrick Forbes arrived yesterday couple of chapters in already.

Are those "Over The Battle" books any good? Tempted but haven't tried one yet.
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Techno

Quote from: mart678 on 10 July 2013, 10:34:43 AM
Hi Techno
Will give you an e-mail update in a day or two

Look forward to that Mart.
Cheers - Phil

NTM

Quote from: fsn on 10 July 2013, 01:17:30 PM
Are those "Over The Battle" books any good? Tempted but haven't tried one yet.

Excellent IMHO Have read Epsom & Bluecoat recently (which I got for £10 each in a Pen & Sword sale). Will be familiar to you if you have read any of the Battleground Europe volumes as they are much expanded versions of those.

DaveL

Hi.

Half way through the Simon Scarrow book  "Sword and Scimitar".  Not really my period, but they were selling the hardback in "The Works" for only £2.69" so I boughtbit.  Really glad I did because it@s really good.

Also just finished the second book in the Vespasian series by Robert Fabbri and the new Con Iggulden book about the aftermath of Caesar's assasination.  both brilliant books

Happy reading    DaveL

UZero

Hello,
Two thirds of the way through Fighter Pilot - biography of Robin Olds.
Looking forward to the bit on operation bolo.

All the best

Martin

Hertsblue

Quote from: DaveL on 10 July 2013, 05:26:27 PM
Hi.

Half way through the Simon Scarrow book  "Sword and Scimitar".  Not really my period, but they were selling the hardback in "The Works" for only £2.69" so I boughtbit.  Really glad I did because it@s really good.

Also just finished the second book in the Vespasian series by Robert Fabbri and the new Con Iggulden book about the aftermath of Caesar's assasination.  both brilliant books

Happy reading    DaveL

Scarrow's not a patch on Iggulden. The latter's "Emperor" series is the benchmark for all "history as thriller" genre books.
When you realise we're all mad, life makes a lot more sense.

www.rulesdepot.net

ryman1

Quote from: Hertsblue on 10 July 2013, 06:42:41 PM
Scarrow's not a patch on Iggulden. The latter's "Emperor" series is the benchmark for all "history as thriller" genre books.

Having read all of Simon Scarrow's books I have to say I'm a big fan but this is not the first time I've heard Iggulden promoted so I think it's time I went and got one to read.

On the Scarrow subject, has anyone read his brother Alex Scarrow's work? He has written a post apocalyptic series set in London and the north-east oil platforms which were a brilliant read (Afterlight), I highly recommend them to anyone playing or painting post-apoc as they're full of inspiring ideas.

Cheers

Ry