What are you currently reading ?

Started by goat major, 03 November 2012, 06:40:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Albie Bach

I've just finished The Fort by Bernard Cornwell. It's about the Penobscot Expedition of July & August 1779 during the AWI. The novel is not part of a series and has no single central character like Sharpe. There is plenty of action seen from both sides point of view. Well worth a read.
Sadly no longer with us - RIP (2018)

goat major

Yes I enjoyed that oe too.

Just started The Russia House by John le Carre. Good classic stuff so far
My blog: https://goatmajor.org.uk/
My twitting: http://twitter.com/goatmajor

2014 Painting Competition - Winner!

Hertsblue

Finally finished Zitadelle by Mark Healy. Authoritative, if somewhat hard going - small type and long sentences. And the proof-reading could have been sharper, quite a few typos in the text.

Started reading Lord of the Rings again for the first time in sixteen years. I'd forgotten how good it is.

When you realise we're all mad, life makes a lot more sense.

www.rulesdepot.net

J.S.

Once again thanks to WeeWars for recommending me this gem of a book!  8)
2012 Painting Competition - Winner!
2013 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

SV52

'American Gods' - Neil Gaiman
'Cutter and Bone' - Newton Thornburg
"The time has come, the walrus said..."

2017 Paint-Off - Winner!

Techno

freddy326

Quote from: J.S. on 03 March 2013, 01:04:49 PM

Once again thanks to WeeWars for recommending me this gem of a book!  8)

I don't suppose you know how it compares to the 'The Great War in the Middle East' books by W T Massey?

Nosher

I was on the train to London a month ago and found a book left behind by a commuter, Boy Soldiers of the Great War by Richard van Emden which has been a good read. Two weeks later my Veteran's Association had in a guest speaker and WW1 tour guide Dave Empson who had contributed a story to the book. Our group is planning a 100 Year anniversary excurion to the great battlefields which i am really excited about.

I'm currently reading Soldier against the odds by Lofty Large and his escapades in Korea with the Glorious Glosters, captured at the Batlle fo the Imjin River he spent most of his time in Korea as a POW and was medically discharged unfit for duty only to re-enlist and then get through the gruelling SAS Selection to become a legend within the SAS. The book has some great humour in it as you'd expect and is written in a refreshingly simple way using simple language without any flowery embellishments or exaggerated action man style prose.
I don't think my wife likes me very much, when I had a heart attack she wrote for an ambulance.

Frank Carson

J.S.

Quote from: freddy326 on 04 March 2013, 08:29:23 AM
I don't suppose you know how it compares to the 'The Great War in the Middle East' books by W T Massey?

Unfortunately I can't help you out here..it's my first book on that topic so far.
2012 Painting Competition - Winner!
2013 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

OldenBUA

For bedside reading, an anthology of war stories by various authors. Not military history, but short stories. Maybe not the best choice, because I've only read a few stories, and already there's Japanese and a US serviceman on a small Pacific island, Lawrence and the Arabs blowing up a Turkish train, US marines during the Tet offensive and a US patrol engaging the Jerries in an Italian town. And Pendraken makes figures for all of these! Damn you!
Water is indeed the essential ingredient of life, because without water you can't make coffee!

Aander lu bin óók lu.

Steve J

"Goodbye to all that" by Robert Graves. Haven't read it since the '80s so seems new and familiar at the same time (I have a good memory).

Sean Clark

'The Hundred Year old Man Who Climbed Out of the Window And Disappeared'

The Second World War by Anthony Beevor

God's Own Scale podcast
https://godsownscale6mm.podbean.com/

Albie Bach

Quote from: Windle Poons on 05 March 2013, 10:36:48 AM
The Second World War by Anthony Beevor
That reminds me, I've got that book but haven't started it. I enjoyed Stalingrad, D-Day and Berlin so I've just dug it out and it's next on the list.
Sadly no longer with us - RIP (2018)

Sean Clark

I can't recommend it enough. A thorough general history of the conflict with some really surprising stories about lesser known areas of the conflict. It is difficult reading at times, with some disturbing passages, but well worth it.
God's Own Scale podcast
https://godsownscale6mm.podbean.com/

Russell Phillips

I'm reading "Germany's High Sea Fleet" by Admiral Scheer. It's an OCR'd copy from the Internet Archive, so I'm correcting OCR errors as I go. Surprisingly, I've also found a few errors that the original editor should have caught.
Russell Phillips
Books and articles about military technology and history
www.rpbook.co.uk