What are you currently reading ?

Started by goat major, 03 November 2012, 06:40:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Luddite

I've got a few things on the go actually.

Why Men Don't Listen and Women Can't Read Maps - Barbera and Allan Pease

A compilation of the Dying Earth novels by Jack Vance

And yesterday i bought a bunch of comic books:

Missionary Man (read)
The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen 1990s (next up)
John Carter: Warlord of Mars
Kingdom: Call of the Wild

http://www.durhamwargames.co.uk/
http://luddite1811.blogspot.co.uk/

"It is by tea alone i set my mind in motion.  It is by the juice of Typhoo my thoughs acquire speed the teeth acquire stains, the stains serve as a warning.  It is by tea alone i set my mind in motion."

"The secret we should never let the gamemasters know is that they don't need any rules." - Gary Gygax
"Maybe emu trampling created the desert?" - FierceKitty

2012 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

"I have become inappropriately excited by the thought of a compendium of OOBs." FSN

Chad

A History of the Indians of the United States

Never realised that the broken promises, land grabs and general destruction of so many tribes occurred so much earlier in the US history than I thought.

Chad

Sandinista

WRG's Armies of Fuedal Europe, Sicily may be the area for my Saga forces to play  :)

Nav

an over 600 page book on Napoleon Bonepartes Napoleonic  wars

Nosher

I don't think my wife likes me very much, when I had a heart attack she wrote for an ambulance.

Frank Carson

Raider4

Live & Let Die by Ian Fleming.

Which is an eye-opener about which language was deemed acceptable in the early fifties, I can tell you.

Suffice to say, I doubt it would be published today . . .

Cheers, Martyn
--

Hertsblue

Kursk- the Greatest Battle by Lloyd Clark - told from both points of view, with many first-hand anecdotes (and, yes, German machine-gunners did fire the MG42 from a standing position with the weapon on the number two's shoulder. Necessary to be able to see over the standing wheat.)

The Skinner by Neal Asher - Spatterjay is not a planet I would willingly visit!

Lancaster - the Second World War's Greatest Bomber - Leo McKinstry's follow-up to his Spitfire and Hurricane.
When you realise we're all mad, life makes a lot more sense.

www.rulesdepot.net

Gennorm

The Peninsula War by Charles Esdaile.

Malbork

Tannenberg by Denis Showalter - excellent narrative of the opening of the 1914 campaign on the Eastern Front.

Re-reading August 1914 by Solzhenitsyn for another take on the same thing and inspiration to purchase hordes of WWI Pendraken figs.

Traitor's Blood by Michael Arnold - to get me ro finish my ECW armies.

The End by Ian Kershaw - fascinating if unevenly written account of the end of the war from the German perspective.

Luddite

Quote from: LudditeMissionary Man
The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen 1990s
John Carter: Warlord of Mars
Kingdom: Call of the Wild

All read.

Missionary Man - not bad
The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen 1990s - excellent as ever
John Carter: Warlord of Mars - um...
Kingdom: Call of the Wild - interesting ideas but felt like a prologue

Also finished all 16 volumes of the Walking Dead (vol 17 on order).  Excellent

Not sure what will be next...
http://www.durhamwargames.co.uk/
http://luddite1811.blogspot.co.uk/

"It is by tea alone i set my mind in motion.  It is by the juice of Typhoo my thoughs acquire speed the teeth acquire stains, the stains serve as a warning.  It is by tea alone i set my mind in motion."

"The secret we should never let the gamemasters know is that they don't need any rules." - Gary Gygax
"Maybe emu trampling created the desert?" - FierceKitty

2012 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

"I have become inappropriately excited by the thought of a compendium of OOBs." FSN

Techno

I've been listening to "The Burning Land" by that nice Mr Cornwell, while I've been pushing the putty about.....
I loved it !!
Cheers - Phil.

OldenBUA

A bit tough going, but an interesting read: "Einführung in das Kriegsspiel". Subtitled "Wegweiser zur Lösung von Kriegsspielaufgaben für Offiziere des Beurlaubtenstandes aller Dienstgrade sowie für jungere Offiziere des activen Dienststandes".

Basically a 'how to' guide for playing the Kriegsspiel games of the Imperial German Army. How to write your orders, and what is the best method to tackle a given situation (advance/retreat/attack/defense etc). Published in 1913, and therefore much is written with the FPW in mind. The scenarios for example, while talking about a 'blue' and 'red' army all take place in the Alsace-Lorraine area, and a contemporary map is included that shows a part of this.

Reading this really gives you an idea where all the (old-school) wargames rules derive from.
Water is indeed the essential ingredient of life, because without water you can't make coffee!

Aander lu bin óók lu.

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Sounds really cool.
How detailed is the map? :)
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

OldenBUA

16 November 2012, 09:54:02 PM #28 Last Edit: 16 November 2012, 10:05:27 PM by OldenBUA
Scale 1:100.000, based on the 'Landesaufnahme' of 1884. Similar to this one:

This might give an idea why it's tough going, the whole book is in old gothic 'Black letter'.

Water is indeed the essential ingredient of life, because without water you can't make coffee!

Aander lu bin óók lu.

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Nasty!
What a brilliant find though, do you think you would ever play it 'for real' or is it a research piece?
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner