What are you currently reading ?

Started by goat major, 03 November 2012, 06:40:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Westmarcher

Quote from: kipt on 19 September 2021, 05:32:55 PM
.... Rear area support is well and good but too much supply is only a gift to the enemy.  He has a story about a soldier guarding a supply depot in Normandy for over 6 months and the soldier hardly remembers anything leaving, only more supplies going in.

The depot wasn't run by M & M Enterprises by any chance?   :-\

Good ol' Milo Mindbender
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

kipt

Finished an Osprey booklet, "Knight of Outremer, AD 1187-1344" by David Nicolle and illustrated by Christa Hook.

I know nothing about this period and really am not interested in.  The book was gift.  But good history I guess and very good illustrations.

Techno II

Finishing off listening to "Exile" by James Swallow.

From the blurb, on the back....

A vicious Serbian gang whose profits come from fake nuclear weapons...
A disgraced Russian General with access to the real thing..
A vengeful Somali warlord, with a cause for which he'd let the world burn...
A jaded government agency, without the information to stop him...

Only on man sees what's coming. And even he might not be able to prevent it....

(Bet he does !...You get the picture ;))

Quite entertaining but getting VERY silly towards the end !....

Cheers - Phil. :)

kipt

Finished a great book, "The Maps Of Chickamauga: An atlas of the Chickamauga Campaign, Including the Tullahoma Operations, June 22 - September 23, 1863" by David A. Powell and cartography by David A. Friedrichs.

this complements the book I previously reported on the Tullahoma Campaign by the same authors.  This book has facing map every every page showing the location and numbers of the regiments.  Very Tactical and well done.  Action in approximately 15 minute intervals.

So good I just bought "The Maps Of Gettysburg" and "The Maps Of First Bull Run".  To me it reads like a report from Regimental Fire and Fury (or perhaps the other way around).

Highly recommended.

Steve J

Sounds a great book and perfect for us wargamers.

fred.

Does sound good.

Has anyone done the opposite, use figures and terrain to provide the snapshots of a battle as it unfolds? Following the history, not playing a set of rules.
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

kipt

"Has anyone done the opposite, use figures and terrain to provide the snapshots of a battle as it unfolds? Following the history, not playing a set of rules."

In 1988 Leighton Films made "The Battle Of Gettysburg In Miniature".  It runs 40 minutes in color as a DVD.  I haven't seen it for a long time (and no DVD player now) but it was pretty good.

They used all  types of figures, 15mm, 20mm, 25mm and 54mm.  Building roughly HO scale and thousands of trees.  The Peach Orchard has over 400 trees.  As well as the off the shelf figures, they had over 200 special figures made, such as the kneeling drummer boy of Pickett's Charge.

kipt

Also finished another Osprey, "Byzantine Armies 886-1118", by Ian Heath and Angus McBride.

Typical canned history but well done and great illustrations.   I din not know of the vary different terms for the military organizations and ranks of the commanders.  Very Byzantine...

kipt

Finished "Prince Eugene" by LTG Sir George MacMunn.  Good writer as the book reads in a breezy style.  Interesting for a LTG but he has 15 other historical books to his name.  The author died in 1952 and the book does not have a print date, so maybe in the 30's after he retired?

A good overview, with examples of Prince Eugene's life, trials and successes.  However, I have started another old book on Eugene written in 1888 which seems suspiciously similar.  We'll see as I finish it.  Of course, the biography of someone's life will essentially follow the same path, so who knows.

Anyway, I enjoyed the history and the writing style.

kipt

Just found a video of the Gettysburg in Miniatures DVD that I mentioned earlier.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1Rs5C84hDM

Ithoriel

Just finished Tank Action: An armoured troop commander's war 1944-1945 by David Render with Stuart Tootal

Lots of small unit actions that might prove inspirational for those looking for skirmish scenarios.

I particularly liked small details, like the time he was leading 5 Troop when his Sherman was ambushed  by a Panther. The Panther fired but didn't knock them out so they backed up sharpish. The Sherman's 75mm wasn't going to do much frontally to a Panther so it looked like curtains until he realised the Panther's barrel was too long to traverse between the trees to get them. Two Panthers scuttled off out of it. Presumably to get away before the troop's Firefly turned up.
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Rhys

I'm currently re-reading Prit Buttars "Retribution" about the Russian reconquest of the Ukraine after Kursk in 1943.
Well worth a look (as are all his books on the Russian front in both wars) as he covers topics only sparsely covered by others.
Only let down by poor maps.
Attack Attack Attack until;
A: They're all dead.
B: We're all dead
Delete where applicable.

steve_holmes_11

Re-reading the Pulp Alley rules for the Nth time.

Great game, simple, quick and extremely well written.
But the little grey cells aren't what they were, so I always seem to forget aspects of the game.

Raider4

H.G.Wells' "The War of the Worlds".

Penultimate chapter in part XIV:
"He heard footsteps running to and fro in the rooms, and up and down stairs behind him. His landlady came to the door, loosely wrapped in dressing gown and shawl; her husband followed ejaculating."

I'd not noticed it was so filthy before!

kipt

Finished "the Maps of Gettysburg: An Atlas of the Gettysburg Campaign, June 3-July 13, 1863" by Bradley M. Gottfried.  A book in the same style as "The Maps iof
Chickamauga..." I wrote about earlier.  Currently reading "The Maps of First Bull Run..." and there are 3 others in the queue.

Same narrative on the left hand page and an explanatory map on the right.  Great books!