What are you currently reading ?

Started by goat major, 03 November 2012, 06:40:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kipt

Finished "The Waterloo Archive: Volume III: British Sources", edited by Gareth Glover.

More letters from participants.  In some cases different information is presented that is different than the written historical record.  Some are hearsay, but others were participants so seem correct.

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

beware the eyewitness, the most unreliable form of evidence
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

mollinary

Quote from: ianrs54 on 16 November 2020, 07:25:34 AM
beware the eyewitness, the most unreliable form of evidence

Particularly if written or recounted some time after the events described.
2021 Painting Competition - Winner!
2022 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up!

cameronian

16 November 2020, 11:58:58 AM #3543 Last Edit: 16 November 2020, 12:02:00 PM by cameronian
Benedek and the Exploits and Fate of the k. k.  North Army 1866 by Moritz Freiherr von Ditfurth k. u. k. Oberleutnant a. D
Don't buy your daughters a pony, buy them heroin instead, its cheaper and ultimately less addictive.

flamingpig0

"I like coffee exceedingly..."
 H.P. Lovecraft

"We don't want your stupid tanks!" 
Salah Askar,

My six degrees of separation includes Osama Bin Laden, Hitler, and Wendy James

fred.

Quote from: flamingpig0 on 16 November 2020, 12:54:23 PM

I'm feeling Athena Voltaire and the Sorcerer Pope is the most pulp book title ever!
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

DaveH

Finished H.G. Wells War of the Worlds - a reread from many years ago.

Techno II

Listening to H2G2 for the umpteenth time.  :)

Cheers - Phil :)

Ithoriel

Just finished watching Harlock: Space Pirate on Amazon Prime, a glorious, ludicrous, space opera romp, somewhere between Battle Beyond the Stars and Dread Pirate Roberts in theme and tone.
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Steve J

The Battle Cry of Freedom by McPherson on the ACW. Just started but very readable and full of interesting info, setting the scene for the conflict.

I'm plowing through a collection of H.R Rider-Haggard - the attitudes have changed loads fortuneatly
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

flamingpig0

Quote from: ianrs54 on 17 November 2020, 04:20:58 PM
I'm plowing through a collection of H.R Rider-Haggard - the attitudes have changed loads fortuneatly

Years a go I did some tutoring at a young offenders institute and the daft charity I worked for had bought a load of H .R. Rider-Haggard books for the inmates.
"I like coffee exceedingly..."
 H.P. Lovecraft

"We don't want your stupid tanks!" 
Salah Askar,

My six degrees of separation includes Osama Bin Laden, Hitler, and Wendy James

kipt

Finished "Send For Freddie: The Story of Montgomery's Chief of Staff Major-General Sir Francis de Guingand, KBE, CB, DSO" by General Sir Charles Richardson.

Interesting person and well written.  Montgomery comes in for his share of being a difficult person, but he did really like Freddie.

Enjoyed it.

Techno II

Did anyone else watch the Channel 5 three part series about the 1665 plague ?

Thought that was really interesting.....Especially the bit about Eyam....A village in the Peak district. They basically locked themselves off from the outside world, once the plague reached them.....So they wouldn't spread the contagion any further.....Particularly selfless action.

Cheers - Phil

fsn

I've been to the Peak District. Do you think it's about time we told Eyam it's all clear?

Oh ... hang on ...

Let's leave it a while. 
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!