What are you currently reading ?

Started by goat major, 03 November 2012, 06:40:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

steve_holmes_11

I've been picking my way back though the Chain of Command rules.

kipt

Finished "One Hundred and Seventy-Five Battles By Land, sea and Air: From Marathon to the Marne and After" by Roger Shaw,1937.

About one page per battle and gets into the Spanish Civil War.  Lots of references to Hannibal's victory at Cannae (what the Germans wanted and others).  Sort of interesting but obviously no depth.

cameronian

Soon ... August hopefully (COVID permitting) Helion & Co.
Don't buy your daughters a pony, buy them heroin instead, its cheaper and ultimately less addictive.

kipt

Finished the Osprey Campaign "Java Sea 1942: Japan's Conquest of the Netherlands East Indies" by Mark Stiles.

Typical Osprey but a very good history.  A condensed version of a previous book on this topic.  If you do naval combat, this has some good options.

kipt

Finished "Italian Naval Camouflage of World War II" by Marco Ghiglino.

All you wanted to know about each ship from BB's to MAS boats as well as auxiliaries.  Each ship shows the design and colors, typically of both sides.

Not so much history other than the orders regarding the designs to use.  Many pictures and drawings of each ship.  Amazing.

Steve J

The Art of War of Revolutionary France by Paddy Griffith. Just started but enjoyable and part of attempt to improve my knowledge of this period.

holdfast

Dear old Paddy. 10 years in May since we lost him.

Shedman

A History of Violence in the Early Algerian Colony 1830–1847 by William Gallois

GordonY

The Witcher series (8 books) a rattling good read.

Gordon

kipt

Finished a most interesting book, "An Instinct for War: Scenes from the Battlefields of History" by Roger Spiller who is the George C Marshall Professor, Emeritus, of Military History at the U.S. Army Command and General Staff College.

One of the recommendations on the back cover says "'An Instinct for War' is a book of war stories like no other I've read - a cultural history of the world's war-making, from ancient China and Greece to the Apocalypse that's just ahead of us.  Spiller's skills include ventriloquism: he makes every war speak in a voice of its own, sometimes historical, sometimes not" (by Samuel Hynes, author iof Flights of Passage and The Soldiers' Tale).

The book has 13 chapters, really each is a story of its own, from Ancient China through the New World, the ACW, the Russo-Japanese war and more.

Very entertaining and thought provoking.  Recommended.

kipt

Finished an Osprey Air Campaign booklet, "Guadalcanal 1942-43: Japan's bid to Knockout Henderson Field and the Cactus Air Force" by Mark Stile.  Reads like BigJackMac's air combats (and recommended for him).

Lots of pictures and statistics of number and type of planes in the different combats.  Makes me want to try it (but later; working on ACW at the moment).

Orcs

Just finished reading "The Nazi Hunters" about an SAS mission in the Vosges region in France  Operation Loyton , and the subsequent hunt for War Criminals
The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

DaveH

Gordon Rottman - US Marine v IJA Infantryman Guadalcanal 1942 - Osprey Combat series as a freebie from their offer.

Peter Cozzens - Shenandoah 1862

hammurabi70

Quote from: DaveH on 22 April 2020, 01:32:22 PM
Gordon Rottman - US Marine v IJA Infantryman Guadalcanal 1942 - Osprey Combat series as a freebie from their offer.

Peter Cozzens - Shenandoah 1862

Good if you can get it; would not let me process them at checkout.  I gather it can be a general problem that affects many.

Scorpio_Rocks

23 April 2020, 06:05:27 PM #3254 Last Edit: 23 April 2020, 06:06:59 PM by Scorpio_Rocks
Quote from: hammurabi70 on 22 April 2020, 02:40:04 PM
Good if you can get it; would not let me process them at checkout.  I gather it can be a general problem that affects many.
They sorted the issue - if you are still getting it: clear your cookies for Osprey

P.S. They have a 45% sale on ebooks atm!
"Gentlemen, when the enemy is committed to a mistake - we must not interrupt him too soon."
Horatio Nelson.