What are you currently reading ?

Started by goat major, 03 November 2012, 06:40:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kipt

Finished the January 2020 issue (#62) of the "Gettysburg Magazine".

Articles this issue include
James Longstreet and the Third Day: "We Were Not Hunting for Any Fight" which has convincing arguments that Longstreet was not dragging his feet for Picket's Charge and did not try to pass off responsibility for that fight.
Howard at Gettysburg: A Reappraisal
"I Should Not Be Surprised If They Cross the River Tonight": A Resolute Lee vs. A Reluctant Meade, July 13, 1863
The Making of an artillery Officer: Major John Cheves Haskell at Gettysburg

and others.  Always well done with pictures and excellent maps.

Raider4

The Hordes of the Things rulebook, 2nd edition (a free download from the WRG website about 10 years ago. Doesn't include the army lists but everything else is there).

Damn you Terry37 and mmcv!

mmcv

Quote from: Raider4 on 05 March 2020, 08:03:47 AM
The Hordes of the Things rulebook, 2nd edition (a free download from the WRG website about 10 years ago. Doesn't include the army lists but everything else is there).

Damn you Terry37 and mmcv!

;D

It's all Terry's fault!

kipt

Finished "British Generalship in the Twentieth Century" by Major-General E.K.G. Sixsmith.

The title defines the book.  Well written and easy to read.  The author sets out to "examine the military thinking and tactical ability of all British commanders of note between 1899 and 1945."  Does a pretty good job of it.

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

kipt

>How bad were they ?<

The author was a serving officer and worked with several of the generals in the book.  He was nice to most of them, talking about their good sides.  He did bring up areas where perhaps they lacked drive or aggressiveness, but overall didn't "ding" anyone.

kipt

Finished "Command and Leadership: 1721-1815" edited by Andrew Bamford.  A Helion book from the proceedings of the 2018 Helion and Company 'From Reason to Revolution' conference.

Interesting insights into the French in North America, leadership identity in the Hapsburg officer corps 1740 to 1790, Portuguese engineers inthe Peninsular War, a couple of chapters on the Jacobite rebellion and early Revolutionary wars into Egypt.

mmcv

19 March 2020, 08:12:32 AM #3217 Last Edit: 19 March 2020, 08:14:22 AM by mmcv
Quote from: fred. on 03 November 2012, 08:42:39 PM
Just finished Hydrogen Sonata the new book by Iain M Banks. Most enjoyable, classic Banks and in this one the Culture Minds take centre stage, more so than a human character.

Sad that there'll be no more.  :(

Edit: just realised I'd somehow clicked on a page from years ago and not noticed the dates... Morning brain X_X

FierceKitty

19 March 2020, 08:49:21 AM #3218 Last Edit: 19 March 2020, 08:52:16 AM by FierceKitty
Quote from: mmcv on 19 March 2020, 08:12:32 AM
Morning, Brain X_X

Are you pondering what I'm pondering, Pinky?
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

FierceKitty

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Scorpio_Rocks

Quote from: FierceKitty on 19 March 2020, 08:50:50 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OqMs9WsJg2k
Thank you sir!
This innocuous link led me to look at more from the incredible Vintage Postmodern Jukebox and ultimately to the masterpiece that is their cover of Creep featuring the vocal talent of Haley Reinhart ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3lF2qEA2cw ) - dat girl can sing!
"Gentlemen, when the enemy is committed to a mistake - we must not interrupt him too soon."
Horatio Nelson.

FierceKitty

I can also recommend the best performances of most of Bach....

Ithoriel

Quote from: FierceKitty on 19 March 2020, 02:32:30 PM
I can also recommend the best performances of most of Bach....

... or possibly something from this millennium! :)
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data