What are you currently reading ?

Started by goat major, 03 November 2012, 06:40:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

Black Seas
great fun, 1st play, 2 games, first with brigs, I caught fire and then was sunk, second I had a 1st rate, set on fire and exploded on 2nd turn.

IanS
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

steve_holmes_11

Quote from: Westmarcher on 23 January 2020, 08:55:29 PM
Cripes!   :-S

It sounds as though I've executed the perfect surprise attack.

Westmarcher

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Westmarcher

Quote from: ianrs54 on 24 January 2020, 08:43:11 AM
Black Seas
great fun, 1st play, 2 games, first with brigs, I caught fire and then was sunk, second I had a 1st rate, set on fire and exploded on 2nd turn.

IanS

Are you a smoker, by any chance? 
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

ER no - and certainly NOT at Action Stations !!
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Scorpio_Rocks

Phoenix Squadron by Rowland White.

https://www.penguin.co.uk/books/100/1007911/phoenix-squadron/9780552152907.html

Great "True Story" about the British mission to protect Honduras in 1970's, featuring my all time favourite aircraft - the Blackburn Buccaneer!
"Gentlemen, when the enemy is committed to a mistake - we must not interrupt him too soon."
Horatio Nelson.

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

kipt

Finished "Armies and enemies of Louis XIV: Volume 1 - Western Europe 1688-1714: France, Britain, Holland" by Mark Allen.  As it says on the back cover, "This book originally saw the light of day a a long running series of articles in Wargames Illustrated in the late 1980s."

A uniform boo with the listing of regiments for the countries named as well as illustrations.  Printed by Helion.

kipt

Finished "War in the East: A Military History Of The Russo-Turkish War 1877-78" by Quintin Barry.  I like his books.

Good explanations, relatively good OB's, maps a bit small in scale (or my eyes aren't as good as they used to be).

Easy to read and about a period I know next to nothing, so I enjoyed it.

kipt

Finished "The Campaign of Waterloo" by John Codman Ropes.  I don't believe I had read it before and was impressed with the arguments he makes regarding who was responsible for what.  Ney and Grouchy don't come off well, but then neither does Napoleon.

Fast read for me being interested in Napoleonics.

kipt

Finished "Allenby's Gunners: Artillery in the Sinai & Palestine Campaigns 1916-1918" by Alan H. Smith.

This covers more than Allenby's command time. It is broken into three narratives; Narrative One: Background to April 1916.  Narrative Two: November 1917 to May 1918 and Narrative Three: May 1918 to November 1918.  It also has 8 appendices listing OB's and the battery makeups.  It gives ammunition expenditure and a technical section of the gun types.

A good history overall with an emphasis on the trials and exploits of the various batteries, including RHA, RFA, Heavy and Siege as well as the Brigades they were attached to.  Also gives credit to the RFC and how they progressed.

Good read with maps (which could have been a bit more clear) of the overall campaign.

paulr

Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Raider4

7TV 2nd edition rulebook, which I discovered yesterday is a free download from Crooked Dice.

Orcs

Just read Dunstan by Conn Igguldon.  It was only hallway through that I realised it was a novelisation of an actual historical person.  Its a cracking read
The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

kipt

Finished a great little book "Men Under Fire" by R.W. Thompson. He was the war correspondent of the "Sunday Times" and a war feature writer of the "Kemsley Newspapers". The book appears to be written immediately after WWII but there is no date.

The stories are his time with the troops of the 21st Army Group. He had been an intelligence officer but was released to be a correspondent. He landed at Normandy in August 1944 and from then until the end figures he wrote 200,000 words for the papers in 12 months as well as driving 30,000 miles mainly in a Jeep with his driver.

His writing really captures the gritty feel of the troops and the times. His descriptions of the wealthier, the terrain and the feelings are great. At the end he does go through the Nazi camp at Belsen and has such a feeling of horror of what had occurred and such a hatred of the Germans that it really comes through his writing. It is amazing with so many witnesses and pictures that there are Holocaust Deniers.

I doubt that it has been reprinted or that copies would be easy to find (this was given to me by a friend) but if you do it would be well worth the read.