What are you currently reading ?

Started by goat major, 03 November 2012, 06:40:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mollinary

Just finished Bernard Cornwell's latest, "Sword of Kings". To be honest I am in awe as to how he manages to keep up, if not actually improve, the writing, the plotting, the tension. I set out to read this at a chapter a night bedore bed. That lasted one night! Then it was rwo chapters, then three. A great read, full of atmosphere. Highly recommended.
2021 Painting Competition - Winner!
2022 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up!

Dave Fielder

The Serbian Army in the Wars for Independence Against Turkey 1876-1878 The Serbian Army in the Wars for Independence Against Turkey 1876-1878
A useful introduction to these two campaigns. Plenty of good information and really useful to reinforce the scenarios from Bloody Big Battles IO Group. The author is very clearly Serbia but nevertheless this is a useful book if you are interested in this period. I also purchased the Serbian Army in the Great War 1914-1918 https://www.amazon.co.uk/Serbian-Army-Great-War-1914-1918/dp/1910777293/ref=sr_1_4?keywords=The+Serbian+Army+in+the+first&qid=1576400515&s=books&sr=1-4. Pendraken does a very nice line in these figures.
Romeo and Juliet is a Verona Crisis

kipt

Finished a short book (88 pages) "The Warship Vasa: Deep Diving and Marine Archaeology in Stockholm" by Anders Franzen.  the author located the sunken ship and working with the Swedish Navy and the National Maritime Museum was able to raise the ship.  The book has many pictures from the diving to the initial raising to the temporary museum site at that time (the book was printed in 1974).

I just read however that the CO2 in the wood is changing to sulpheric acid and is causing more problems to the restoration.

shireman

Christmas present from me to myself was found on Abebooks -- a battered ('condition FAIR'), ex-library, repaginated in the middle (and therefore affordable) copy of Richard Holmes' 'The Road to Sedan.' As with all his work it is just magnificent.

Steve J

'Glory Hallelujah!' supplement for Black Powder. For a real ACW novice like me it's perfect and is helping me sort out 'stuff' for a forthcoming campaign :).

kipt

Finished an absolutely fantastic book "Churchill: Walking with Destiny" by Andrew Roberts.  This is a long book (982 pages) but interesting in every page. 

What an incredible person Churchill was and seemingly gifted with foresight ("'I can see vast changes coming over a now peaceful world,' Churchill predicted to his friend Murland Evans; 'great upheavals, terrible struggles; wars such as one cannot imagine; and I tell you London will be in danger - London will be attacked and I shall be very prominent in the defence of London...I see into the future.  This country will be subjected, somehow, to a tremendous invasion, by what means I do not know, but I tell you I shall be in command of the defences of London and I shall save London and England from disaster...I repeat - London will be in danger and in the high position I shall occupy, it will fall to me to save the capital and save the Empire.'  Churchill said those words not in 1931, 1921, 1911 or even 1901, but in 1891, when he was only sixteen years old."

He also said he would die on the same date as he father did.  And he did.

Great book.

OldenBUA

I have read 'It never snows in September' by Robert Kershaw which has been mentioned before several times I think.

It's a good book with a different perspective (from the German side) on the Market-Garden operation. But what was a bit jarring for me was the never ending typos in all the place names, names of streets and so on. There are too many to count. Also 'Zuider Zee' makes an appearance, even though it has been turned into 'IJsselmeer' since 1932. But since some of the German officers also use the old name, I suppose it's a common mistake. And of course the book generally is about airborne operations in 'the south of Holland', which for me implies the area around Rotterdam, Delft and Den Haag, like the Germans did in 1940. But that's just a pet peeve of mine. But if you imagine an alternate history where the Germans attempt a landing near Edinburgh in 1943, which gets called 'the landings in the North of England' by later historians, you will get a feeling of how it sounds to me.
Water is indeed the essential ingredient of life, because without water you can't make coffee!

Aander lu bin óók lu.

sultanbev

Am reading that too, getting ready to do the BKC IV lists for the Germans at Arnhem. A complex mix of Kampfegruppes, many of which are only companies of 30-40 men, thus making only one stand in BKC.

Mark

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Just read Cogheart.
Yes, it's a kids book, but it's Steam Punk, airships, mechanimals, murder, mystery and suspense.

Its a little predictable at times, but a captivating read. I polished it off in a day.
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

Quote from: mad lemmey on 04 January 2020, 12:41:50 PM
I polished it off in a day.

On e large pic per page with one sentence then Will ? ;D
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Steve J

I remember it being called the Zuider See when I was a kid, so probably pretty common in the UK in the '60's and '70's.

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Quote from: ianrs54 on 04 January 2020, 03:51:41 PM
On e large pic per page with one sentence then Will ? ;D
Some of the dots were REALLY hard to find
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

kipt

FINALLY finished "La Campagne de 1805 En Allemagne" by P.C. Alombert & J. Colin. this is Tome III, Deuxieme partie.  I have had this beside my bed for at least 3 years, reading a bit at a time.  There are 6 volumes (some in 2 parts as this was - and 2 more to go) and as it says on the back cover a minute exploration of the Archives de Guerre.  The documents are the messages, orders and statements from the French officers and staff involved in the campaign.  This volume covers 7 October to 24 October, with a section on Murat's pursuit of the Archduke Ferdinand from 16 to 22 October.

Messages and orders from Napoleon (generally from the Correspondance) as well as the different Marshals and their staffs.  These messages can be concerning remounts, route directions, reports etc.

Not a history book on the campaign per se, but the actual messages.

KTravlos

Finished Mustafa Aksakal "The Ottoman Road to War, 1914" and Gregory Hanlon "The Hero of Italy". I liked both. "Hero.." was better than "1636"

Steve J