Pendraken Miniatures Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
21 May 2019, 08:18:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
We've purchased the Castle Arts buildings range!
276290 Posts in 16501 Topics by 2183 Members
Latest Member: Steven M.K.
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  Pendraken Miniatures Forum
|-+  Wider Wargaming
| |-+  Books (Moderator: goat major)
| | |-+  What are you currently reading ?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 202 203 [204] Go Down Print
Author Topic: What are you currently reading ?  (Read 355372 times)
Raider4
Major

« Reply #3045 on: 19 May 2019, 12:53:18 PM »

About halfway though 'Small Unit Actions during the German campaign in Russia'.

Published by the US Army in the early 50's, it's a collection of AAR from the German point-of-view about fighting the Soviets. Presumably so that US officers can get a handle on the way the Russkies might fight in the event of the Cold War warming up.

Must say, it's very interesting reading so far. Some terrific potential scenarios in there. A lone Soviet tank holding up a German advance for almost 48 hours. A German dash for a couple of bridges before the Soviets can blow them up, using captured Soviet trucks as a disguise. A Soviet attack across open ground against prepared German defences, with the unarmed third wave of troops expected to pick up weapons from the dead of the first two waves, and Soviet political officers shooting anyone who retreats (think opening battle of Enemy at the Gates). Etc, etc.

Available in PDF format in five parts from here.

I'd suggest anyone starting up WW2 using Blitzkrieg Commander IV have a good read of this.
steve_holmes_11
Captain

« Reply #3046 on: 19 May 2019, 01:12:42 PM »

Plato's Republic.

Parts of it have aged well - in the sense that we see the same ideas being served up as fresh today.
I find Plato's exposition of the "Socratic Method" - "Ahh so if you prefer [Thing A] then you must be a supporter of [Terrible thing that nobody would countenance]", very tiresome.

It is however an interesting read, and always difficult to discern how much of the annoying dialogue has been fluffed up by the translator.
As with Elvis, I'm willing to cut these guys some slack as they were pioneers in their field.
FierceKitty
General

The dog is a peasant. The cat is a gentleman.

« Reply #3047 on: 19 May 2019, 01:40:57 PM »

It was with Plato that I first concluded (and I stand by the opinion four decades later) that most philosophers were just squabbling about the meanings of words, and needed a good dictionary and a course of linguistics, not a symposium.

I have not the pleasure of understanding you. Of what are you talking?
Pages: 1 ... 202 203 [204] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: