What are you currently reading ?

Started by goat major, 03 November 2012, 06:40:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ithoriel

"My postilion has been struck by lightning" surely :)

I would comment further but, alas, my hovercraft is full of eels.
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Leman

The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

cameronian

Duel of Giants, political build up to 1870, interesting, pity it stops at the war
Don't buy your daughters a pony, buy them heroin instead, its cheaper and ultimately less addictive.

kipt

Finished "Gettysburg Magazine" issue 59.  Articles in this one are:

Serving the Guns in Thompson's Battery
"A Promiscuous Fight": The Defense of Cemetery Hill
"Our Task is Not Yet Accomplished": Meade's Decision Making after Victory at Gettysburg, July 4, 1863
Of Cupolas and Sharpshooters: Major General John Fulton Reynolds and Popular Gettysburg Myths

Plus a few others. Good in depth analysis.

Raider4

Leman

Hello soldier; fancy a punch up!

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Leman

Didn't think there were many sailors on Cemetery Hill.

kipt

Finished "British Cruisers of the Victorian Era" by Norman Friedman.  Similar to his other books with many pictures and stats.  Good history and particularly on the design and building of the different classes of cruisers.  To me there is something very appealing about a warship and the pictures reinforce that feeling.

Well done but can be dry because of the stats, but if you are researching a particular ship for this period, this is the book you need.

Leman

Lobositz to Leuthen and  Olmutz to Torgau, by Hortace St Paul, are currently being sold as a pair for £25 by Naval and Military Press, originally priced at £75.

Steve J

Bugger! I bought mine earlier in the year, but at around £50 for both :(. I'm only on the first book, but very interesting and well printed. Highly recommended for anyone with an interest in the SYW.

Duke Speedy of Leighton

A Brief History of The Samurai: A New History of The Warrior Elite by Jonathan Clements (Robinson 2010)
Not bad, if a tad dry.
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Leman

The Second Barons War by John Sadler. Will report back when finished. Started well, although a little confusing as there are several Simon de Montforts and he also uses the X Earl of Leicester frequently as well, which can be a tad confusing. Excellent second chapter on warfare in the C13th. Just getting into chapter 3, the reign of Henry III, so the rebellion and scrapping should not be too far off. I have played this period in Impetus with a friend's 28mm and it was terrific fun, so looking to use my Pendraken early medievals for this.

fsn

Every now and then I drag myself into WH Smiths to peruse, and probably purchase Ancient Warfare magazine or Medieval Warfare magazine. Both are excellent periodicals - if a tad on the expensive side.

About once a year I deign to spend some of my hard-won groats on a wargames magazine. This exercise makes me remember why I don't buy wargames magazines.
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

But Smiths don't take goats, or do they ?
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021