Pendraken Miniatures Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
19 November 2017, 05:58:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
We've added a few new codes to our Napoleonic Prussian range!
243751 Posts in 14788 Topics by 2064 Members
Latest Member: William W
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  Pendraken Miniatures Forum
|-+  Wider Wargaming
| |-+  Books (Moderator: goat major)
| | |-+  What are you currently reading ?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 165 166 [167] Go Down Print
Author Topic: What are you currently reading ?  (Read 231804 times)
cameronian
Colonel

« Reply #2490 on: 13 November 2017, 12:12:22 PM »

Found a copy of Mark Adkins book "Goose Green - A battle is fought to be won" in my bookshelf that I must have hidden away years ago in a back row. The first major land battle of the war from both Argentine and British point of view.

Best single book on a modern battle I've read for a long time and by far the best Falklands War book I've seen.

A powerful and emotive read, especially the fight on Darwin Ridge and the command decisions made by 2 Para's Lt Colonel "H" Jones (and Major Kebble after the CO's death) and Lt Col Paiggi, the Argentine commander.

Hugh Bisheno's 'Razors edge' is also excellent on the Falklands, cracking photo of maggie on the cover.

Don't buy your daughters a pony, buy them heroin instead, its cheaper and ultimately less addictive.
KTravlos
Major

« Reply #2491 on: 14 November 2017, 05:16:16 PM »

I have not posted on this thread in quite some time. Between work, play-testing the Bloody Big Balkan Battles scenarios, my reading has slowed to a crawl. I finished a couple of books for my Salvation and Catastrophe project on the Asia Minor War 1919-1922. I remember posting about one, the collection of articles by Venizelos and Metaxas written in the 1934-5 period. I also read Svolopoulos pamphlet "The Decision for the Expansion of Greek Dominion in Asia Minor", a very pro-Venizelist piece of work that uses the term scientific without in my opinion understand it. I also finished the English edition of the Greek General Staff's "Abridged History of the Asia Minor Campaign". Very detailed, but with lots of typos. This all in October.

Since then I have been wrestling with Howard's "The Franco-Prussian War", which I am using for the theme at the 19th Century Warfare and War-game Facebook group. And I am reading Eric Larson's "Devil in the White City" which is phenomenal, but has also disturbed me a lot.

KT
kipt
Captain

« Reply #2492 on: Today at 04:44:55 PM »

Finished "The First of the League Wars: Its Lessons and Omens" by JFC Fuller, 1936.  The League he is referring to is the League of Nations, which he thought was a very bad idea; winners (of WWI) imposing their will on the losers, particularly Germany), and would start another conflict.

The first part is a good history of the Italo-Abyssinian War, with maps.  Hadn't read about that before.

For the larger part of the book he expounds on the League.  This is what he has to say about disarmament.
"Is this the folly of fools or the wisdom of knaves?  Both, because at Geneva the crooks manipulated the cranks and the cranks manipulated the people. The Conference was an immense hypocritical swindle, in which each nation maneuvered for the strongest position in the next was, and meanwhile attempted to appear innocent and peace-loving."

It goes on from there.

Another theme however is Communism versus Fascism.  He says" Whilst the process of Communism is destructive, that of Fascism is transformative:..."  There are parts of Communism he applauds but really he is a Fascist, being defined by his writing.

The first part was interesting, the second part propaganda from my point of view.
Pages: 1 ... 165 166 [167] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: