What are you currently reading ?

Started by goat major, 03 November 2012, 06:40:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

d_Guy

Encumbered by Idjits, we pressed on

Steve J

The Art of Warfare in the Age of Marlborough by David Chandler. Simply superb. A period I know virtually nothing about, but so far have learnt loads and I'm only on the second chapter.

Terry37

Just finished one titled "The Last Survivors" Book 1, and can't say I enjoyed it very much. It takes place 300 years after the apocalypse, but I felt like I was reading about the Spanish Inquisition.  Thought it was slow moving and focused too much on the anguish of certain surviving humans and the corruption of the leadership. Undecided if I'll read any further titles in this series. Felt like it was more of a dark ages story than post apocalyptic.

I have since started a new one that so far seems interesting titled "Earthfall", by Stephen Knight. The premise reminds me very much of the short story "Damnation Alley" (and the not too accurate movie). But at least I'm not reminded every paragraph of the execution of certain surviving humans as in the last book, mentioned above!!!

Terry
"My heart has joined the thousand for a friend stopped running today." Mr. Richard Adams

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Seventy Maxims of Maximally Effective Mercenaries (301st Anniversary Annotated sedition).
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

T13A

Hi

Just finished 'The Day of Battle', the second volume of Rick Atkinson's The Liberation Trilogy. Excellent account of the war in Sicily and Italy up to the capture of Rome in June 1944. Mainly, but not exclusively, told from the US perspective and particularly good at giving balanced portraits (both US and British) of the major commanders 'warts and all'. Sadly from the allied perspective it also shows up what a mediocre bunch most of them were.

Recommended.

Cheers Paul   
T13A Out!

Steve J

Airifx Magazine Guide 22, Russian Tanks of WWII by Milsom and Zaloga. A wonderful little book that packs an awful lot of great and really useful information into a mere 63 odd pages. Also a touch of nostalgia as these books remind me of my formative wargaming years.

KTravlos

Finished two books as part of the research for the "Salvation and Catastrophe" project.

The first is the "Concise History of the Campaign in Asia Minor" by the Army History Directorate of the Hellenic General Staff. It is the english version of the abridged one volume version of the 5 Volume Greek Official Military History. It is quite detailed even for an abridged version with 70 sketch maps, and a lot of information of large scale and small scale actions. There is info for battles ranging from company actions to Army level maneuvers. The writing is a bit dry at times, and there is a Greek bias, though not as a bad as one would first think. My major issue was that there were no topographical maps (all are sketch maps) and that my copy had a lot of typos that sometimes contaminated the ability of the reader to follow actions. Until Ericksson writes his book, this is the most detailed, and indeed only, English source on the military aspects of the Greek-Turkish conflict 1919-1922.

The second is Andrew Mango's biography of "Ataturk". Of all the english works on the topic this is probably the best and most accurate. It is a good history not only of Mustafa Kemal but also the period of Turkish history, including the early republic. Very elucidating. Currently it is probably the best english political account of the Turkish War of Independence/Asia Minor Campaign from the Turkish perspective.

Mango sums Ataturk well  "Ataturk was a competent commander, a shrewd politician, a statesman of supreme realism. But above all he was a man of the Enlightenment. And the Enlightenment was not made by saints". He was in the end a liberal-nationalist authoritarian, and the regime he created was that. And the history of Turkey and the current events are one more confirming instance for my increasing hunch that whatever is built by authoritarianism is going to be a frail political edifice. In this sense there is a similarity of the liberal authoritarian projects in France and Spain. Anyway, it is a good book, probalby the best english book on the subject.

Both are highly recommended.

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Planet Mercenary Rulebook
Kickstarter I paid into two years ago, delivered this week. I doubt I'll ever actually play, but it's sooooooo cool!
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

mollinary

I have now finished Harry Sidebottom's Amber Road. Well worth it, it is a cracking historical novel, and leaves you just wanting more - pity the next one is not due out until  early next year.

I am now reading 'Cromwell's Buffoon, the life and career of the regicide Thomas Pride' by Robert Hodkinson.  The really sad thing is, I think I am turning into Fierce Kitty! ? :o  Extensive proof reading errors, missing words, alternatives left to sit side by side in a sentence, are all disrupting my attempt to get close to the text. Is this sort of thing becoming more common, or is it just my imagination?

Mollinary
2021 Painting Competition - Winner!
2022 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up!

Leman

1871 by Bruce Weigle. I bought this at Colours and am very impressed with the speeded up play and streamlined systems. It should first be noted that this is a set of simultaneous play rules using order chits to carryout most movement actions. In a turn firstly orders should be issued, using the small chits. Generals can then be teleported around the battlefield to attempt to activate those orders on a die roll. At this point charges are declared and rallying troops is carried out.
Movement is very straightforward with most limitations being a half move, although crossing obstacles, limbering, unlimbering and formation changes take less than a half move. Artillery fire is carried out on a simple table with minimal factors using a coloured D10. Hits are shown based on the die roll and range (French cannot reach as far as Prussians) as well as the number of batteries firing, e.g. 4 Krupps batteries at maximum range require a 5 or less on a D10 to hit, whereas a single battery can only achieve a hit with a 2. The result of the hit is then calculated on the fire combat results table based on the morale rating of the target. A white D10 is rolled and there are only 3 applicable modifiers to produce a result, e.g. against a unit with a morale rating of 8 a 4-6 result would throw them back 3" whereas a 2 result would throw them back 8", disorganise them and cause a stand loss. It is suggested that the white and coloured dice are thrown at the same time. Rifle fire is handled the same way, using the rifle hits table and the common fire combat results table.
Charges and melees are then tackled, although the charge may already have been stopped by support fire from the target's neighbours. If not then the charge goes in, each side gets 1 point per stand involved, the score of a D6 and up to five plus factors. The higher scorer wins and the result depends on the score difference, e.g. if the winner wins by 2-4 points the loser loses a stand and is thrown back 5" and both sides become disorganised. There are some different nuances if a unit was attacked in buildings or works, and there are extensive diagrammatical examples of different forms of combat and how they should be worked out and the results applied. I found one rule properly clarified in the examples, i.e. a support stand contributes to a melee, but it turns out  that is the +1 factor in the table and it should not also be counted as one of the engaged stands.
There follows a section which adapts the rules for 1/2 scale and 1/4 scale for smaller actions as well as a 2/3 scale for larger battles but using a third fewer figures.

These rules are compatible with the scenarios in the previous books: 1870, 1859 and 1866 and downloadable play sheets for the latter two are promised. This is good as formations and ranges in the other wars are different from the FPW. Also of note is that the new play sheet is a single back to back coloured sheet as opposed to the four sided monster in the original rules.

On the slightly negative side, using inches even the smallest battlefield is 6'x6' and most of them are 6' by up to 9', which is why I am going to try out a scenario using cms instead. Those who have a large table, or a club with permanent premises, should not be affected by this. The attraction for me is the opportunity to play smaller scenarios with a smooth running system. BBB will still get my vote for the big battle, but what about the storming of the Rotherberg or the Stirring Wendel  Foundry as company level actions?

Finally a tip I picked up at Colours for speeding play even more. Roll all three dice together, whenever a die roll is called for, in a transparent container using the appropriate result.   
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

Steve J

Very useful review Leman :). Will try and have a good read over the next day or so.

kipt

Finished "A Day of Battle: Mars-La-Tour, 16 August 1870" by David Ascoli.

Great description of the battle with useful history before and after.  Ascoli is not forgiving of the mistakes made or actions not taken by the French generals; particularly hard on Bazaine (but Bazaine earned that).  Also not very complementary of Prince Frederick Charles.

Avensleben is a hero as are the Prussian soldiers.  Not stinting of praise for the ordinary French soldier (who was let down by the commanders).

Good maps and a useful OB at the end.

We are going to be playing this battle at the end of October.  Tying these maps to those in Bruce Weigle's "1870" rules.  The order of entry will be a combination of the scenario and the book (slight differences).

Ten players; 3 Prussian and 7 French.  Pictures will be taken but now that Photobucket has changed their policy I need to switch to Flikr.  I have 2 other battles we have done but haven't uploaded those yet - the Hallue and Ladonchamps (both from "1870" scenarios).

Duke Speedy of Leighton

It's a hard fight to get right, if the French are anyway aggressive they can push the Prussians off the table. Also, you need to build in the French (we'll Bazaine's) paranoia that there were more units coming up from Gorze than he thought.
Having walked the battlefield, the contours are surprisingly sudden, especially around Wedle's charge. As you approach the ravine is not at all visible, it just looks like a tree line.
Prussian cavalry reconnaissance is vital too ;)

Steve J

Re-reading 'A Bridge Too Far' by Cornelius Ryan, to refresh my memory on details for my planned Market-Garden campaign.

Leman

Will Makes a good point. This is from the position of the German guns north of Pusieux looking towards Vionville:

This shows the sudden dip in front of the French gun line out of which von Bredow's troopers appeared enabling him to overrun the French guns. Careful examination of the photo shows the edge of the dip, beyond which can be seen the far horizon. This possibility is now included in the 1871 rules for surprise.

The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!