What are you currently reading ?

Started by goat major, 03 November 2012, 06:40:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kipt

Finished "Grant and Lee" by J.F.C. Fuller.

He likes Grant but thinks Lee was not a good general or General and Chief.  Did not stand up to Davis.  Bad on logistics and the overall state of the Confederacy.

Leman

I think the likes of Grant and Sherman operated in a way much more akin to the generals of Fuller's day. Lee was still in the age of honour. In some ways a pity war is no longer conducted in such a way.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

Dangerdaz

Currently reading 'The reality of war' memoir of the Franco Prussian war.
It's by Leone Party, translated by Douglas Former.
It's really good & gives a good insight from a junior officers perspective.

Leman

Looks like auto carrot has buggered up Leonce Patry and Douglas Fermer.

cameronian

Don't buy your daughters a pony, buy them heroin instead, its cheaper and ultimately less addictive.

kipt

Finished "The McCully Report: The Russo-Japanese War, 1904-05", edited by Richard von Doenhoff.

Lieutenant Commander Newton McCully was the representative of the USN sent as an observer.  He went to the Russians and traveled on the Siberian RR to the scene of the conflict.  He spent time in Port Arthur and Vladivostock but was gone by Tushima.

He describes the damage to numerous Russian ships in their various sorties from Port Arthur before they were trapped there, and then the damage from artillery fire.  He has diagrams showing the hits and by what type of shell.  I was surprised by the number of engagements and how much damage was caused by mines, on both sides.

The last part is more of a travelog as he went from Russia to China; trains, horses and camels.

Overall, very interesting.

kipt

Also finished "Epic Retreats; From 1776 to the Evacuation of Saigon" by Stephen Tanner.

The chapters are:
Washington in New York
Napoleon in Russia
The Nez Perce in Montana
The Allies at Dunkirk
First Panzer Army in the Caucasus
Eighth Army in Korea
The Fall of South Vietnam

All well written and interesting.  Plenty of detail and descriptions of the combat and retreats.

Good book.

Leman

France 1940 -  Osprey in the rather nice hardback Praeger edition. I like to read this kind of stuff, but not interested in playing it.

Terry37

Being a Weird World War fan, I am in the second book of John Birmingham's very well written Axis of Time trilogy on time travel/alternate WWII history. I find his work very deep and thoughtful, and obviously good food for thought for a mix of modern and WWII era stuff. The three books are

Weapons of Choice, Designated Targets and Final Impact.

If you are interested in Weird WWI, then Joseph Nassise's The Great Undead War is also enjoyable and good for gaming ideas.

Terry
"My heart has joined the thousand for a friend stopped running today." Mr. Richard Adams

Duckman

Quote from: Subedai on 09 November 2016, 07:14:21 PM
Not militarily orientated at all but I found out how to download all of the E E Doc Smith's Lensman series to my Kindle. Had them all in the '70's and fancied reading them again. They are next after I finish the current pot-boiler of a D&D novel trilogy.

MickS

OOH I must take a look

fsn

Ifyou like that, Duckie, try the Dorsai Sagas. They're about humanity being split into various factions - hyper religious, intellectual, ... and the Dorsai who are a military mercenary faction.

Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Steve J

Wargaming Pike and Shotte by Charles Wesencraft. So far a cracking little book and one that has a contemporary feel in terms of writing and rules compared to other books of that time. Awaiting his 'Practical Wargaming' to arrive as well :).

kipt

Finished "The Decisive Wars of History; A Study in Strategy" by Liddell Hart.

Greek wars through the French Revolution and Napoleon, then 1854 to 1914.  He then added the World War (not WWI as the book was written in 1929).

Throughout he talks about his pet "indirect approach".  Interesting to see what a military thinker of the early 1900's wrote.

Leman

Gettysburg by Sears - nice fat one-volume account beginning after the battle of Chancellorsville.

kipt

Finished "Six Days in June: How Israel Won the 1967 Arab-Israeli War" by Eric Hammel.

Great read.  Much detailed combat descriptions with much information on the AFV's used, by both sides.