What are you currently reading ?

Started by goat major, 03 November 2012, 06:40:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Nosher

I don't think my wife likes me very much, when I had a heart attack she wrote for an ambulance.

Frank Carson

mollinary

Quote from: Nosher on 03 September 2016, 06:39:15 PM
The Pendraken Forum :D

I think that line first appeared about p4 of this thread!  :D
2021 Painting Competition - Winner!
2022 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up!

Westmarcher

Osprey's Antietam 1862.

( ... and hope to squeeze in a visit to the actual battlefield again when I'm in the States later this month ...

.. I know .... I'm a "show off" ....  :P )
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

fsn

Ah! They're letting you out the country again are they?

Glad the little ... incident ... got cleared up.

The question is - will they let you back in?  :P
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Westmarcher

No worries ... I've got it covered this time ..... (uses reverse sikolliji Psychology) .... I'm going to wear a turban  :>  ..... bound to work ..... won't it?
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

kipt

Finished "The Serbian Army in the Great War 1914-1918" by Dusan Babac.

Good history, many pictures, uniform plates, flag pictures, a chapter on weapons, but no real OB.

If I get into WW1, I will build this army and kick some Austrian behind.

Leman

Poor old Arnie, he can't help being in the same queue as you.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

kipt

Finished "Leadership and Command in the American Civil War" edited by Steven Woodworth.

It has 5 chapters, each concerning some controversial aspect of ACW command.  The 5 are;
Ole Joe in Virginia (Joe Johnston)
The detachment of Longstreet Considered (from Braxton Bragg)
A Failure of Command? (General Sumner and his II Corps at Antietam)  This was a great read.
The Seeds of Disaster (Pickett's career after the Charge)
On Smaller Fields (PGT Beauregard and the Bermuda Hundred campaign).

All in all, a very interesting and quick book to read.

kipt

Finished "Napoleon III: A Life" by Fenton Bressler.

A very good read.  Since I have been reading everything I can find on the FPW, I thought it was time to read about him.  I sure didn't realize what a womanizer he was. 

Eugenie didn't like sex but he sure did.  Lots of "official" mistresses (not at one time) and many incidentals (often at the same time as the "official" mistress.

kipt

Also finished "Gettysburg: The Story of the Battle with Maps" by the editors of Stackpole Books.

I have many books on Gettysburg, so nothing new.  But it is done similar to the Civil War Atlas done by West Point; Map on one side of the page and narrative on the other.  It is well written and one gets a sense of the action.

kipt

Finished Vol 80, Number 3 of " The Journal of Military History".

Articles on:
German Military Participation in Early Modern European Colonialism,
The Spanish Military and the Tank, 1909-1939,
Edward Mead Earle and the "Unfinished Makers of Modern Strategy"
The First War for Oil: The Caucasus, German Strategy, and the Turning Point pf the war on the Eastern Front, 1942
and others.

As well as many book reviews.

kipt

Finished the "Gettysburg Magazine".  Published twice a year.
Tactical articles on The 13th Massachusetts on July 1st; The repulse of O'Neal's Brigade on Oak Ridge
and
"Press On, Men, Press On" The 21st North Carolina on July 1.

5 other articles and some book reviews.  Always good.

FierceKitty

Fifty Shades of Ney. Napoleon's last, unpublished work on why he lost Waterloo.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

KTravlos

Finished Mark Jarett's "The Congress of Vienna and its legacy". Its the most modern overview of the Congress history, and a good overview of both the historian and political science literature on it. There are some factual mistakes, but in general if you want to avoid the political slants of Kissinger and Nicholson (which you do not as they are interesting in their own), its a good overview of the Congress System and what has been written on it between 1814-1823.

Next up is Adam Zamoyski's "Rites of Peace"

On non work going over Ericsson's account of Luleburgaz in "Defeat in Detail" for the next BBB scenario, reading Osprey's Essential History on 1859 again for the Facebook theme, and still going through the essay's in Levy and Vasquez's "Outbreak of First World War" (some really good stuff in it).