What are you currently reading ?

Started by goat major, 03 November 2012, 06:40:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

Quote from: fsn on 09 August 2016, 11:26:13 AM
Oh, I haven't read a word yet.

Probably cause you need to learn to read.

IanS  ;)
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

fsn

If I could read that last comment, I'd be miffed.
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

cameronian

Douglas Fermer's 'Sedan 1870, the eclipse of France' light on military detail but good big picture stuff, well and interestingly written. Moving on to 'France at bay' next week.
Don't buy your daughters a pony, buy them heroin instead, its cheaper and ultimately less addictive.

FierceKitty

Quote from: fsn on 09 August 2016, 11:57:48 AM
If I could read that last comment, I'd be miffed.

Don't worry, nobody reads Ian's comments.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

FierceKitty

10 August 2016, 03:30:22 AM #1924 Last Edit: 10 August 2016, 03:40:45 AM by FierceKitty
Here's a self-portrait...which won't open. What does this programme mean, "too large"?
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

It's larger than your buffers will allow at a guess.

IanS
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

kipt

Finished "Early Modern Systems Of Command: Queen Anne's Generals,Staff Officers and the Direction of Allied Warfare in the Low Countries and Germany, 1702 - 1711" by Steward Stansfield.

While a lot of talk about the personalities and duties, it left me wanting for more battlefield direction.  That was the last 20 or so pages out of 248.

Leman

Just started the Ballista novels again.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

SV52

The Prisoner of Zenda by Anthony Hope.  Great fodder for an imagination.
"The time has come, the walrus said..."

2017 Paint-Off - Winner!

kipt

Finished volume 9 "Wargaming in History:The Seven Years War, Lobositz, Reichenberg, Prague and Kolin" by Charles S Grant.

Always a good read, but I enjoyed the Gettysburg volume more.

lentulus

YT by Alexi Nikitin.  Some university students are picked up by the KGB in the 80s because they are playing a strategic campaign game and it all seems suspicious.  The game is set "now" and suddenly it all becomes important again.  Just getting into it.

Anyone else here use "goodreads" to track their reading?

Chris Pringle

"The Sword Behind the Shield" by Norbert Számvéber.

This is a combat history of the German efforts to relieve Budapest in 1945 - Operations Konrad I, II & III. It's a detailed day-by-day account of these major operations, with loads of info on which unit was where and with how many men and what types of tanks. Not a ripping yarn to read, but absolute gold dust for those of us who like to construct historical scenarios for our WWII tank battles. Next week we will wargame the fight for Ősi based on info in this book.

Also in the pile is another of Norbi's books, "Days of Battle: Armoured operations north of the River Danube, Hungary 1944-1945".

Chris

Bloody Big BATTLES!
https://uk.groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/BBB_wargames/info
http://bloodybigbattles.blogspot.co.uk/

kipt

Finished "The First Total War: Napoleon's Europe and the Birth of Warfare as we know it", by David Bell.

This is truly and excellent book.  It starts with the Revolution and goes through Waterloo (and beyond).  It shows how "gentlemanly" or "aristocratic" warfare changed to the mass armies and different philosophies (limited war to total war).

Not a lot of combat, but a lot of deep thinking.  Very well presented.

Ithoriel

Still reading "The Sumerians: A History From Beginning To End" by Henry Freeman on my PC Kindle during long sea voyages in Naval Action

Finished Mark Urban's "Tank War," which I enjoyed and from which I have a number of scenario ideas for CoC, and also "Sword of Destiny" by Andrzej Sapkowski.

Currently reading the Osprey "Bronze Age Chariots" when in the dining area and their "Early Aegean Warrior 5000-1450 BC" in the living room during ad breaks.
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Leman

Just started "The Ottoman Endgame" by Sean McMeekin, essentially the history of Turkey up to and through WWI.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!