What are you currently reading ?

Started by goat major, 03 November 2012, 06:40:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JeffNNN

Currently reading Zuber's "First Battle of the First World War". Covers in great detail, enough for scenarios, the Bavarian Army in Alsace-Lorraine in 1914. Zuber is quite pro-German but there are some really interesting insights.
1) Both French and German cavalry seemed to be run ragged to little avail.
2) Bavarians committed not only Landwehr but ersatz units (up to Corps strength) from day 1
3) It seems that the heavier Bavarian artillery was often well up with the rest of the force and able to intervene effectively in the counter battery role.

kipt

Finished "The Imperial Japanese Navy of the Russo-Japanese War" by Mark Stile.  An Osprey booklet with the usual great pictures and illustrations.

Leman

Quote from: JeffNNN on 02 August 2016, 02:18:41 PM
Currently reading Zuber's "First Battle of the First World War". Covers in great detail, enough for scenarios, the Bavarian Army in Alsace-Lorraine in 1914. Zuber is quite pro-German but there are some really interesting insights.
1) Both French and German cavalry seemed to be run ragged to little avail.
2) Bavarians committed not only Landwehr but ersatz units (up to Corps strength) from day 1
3) It seems that the heavier Bavarian artillery was often well up with the rest of the force and able to intervene effectively in the counter battery role.
Is the name maybe a bit of a giveaway? Sounds like a really good read though.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

JeffNNN

Quote from: Leman on 03 August 2016, 07:12:00 PM
Is the name maybe a bit of a giveaway? Sounds like a really good read though.
Err he was born in Cleveland Ohio and served in the US Army for 20 years, though the name does suggest German extraction.

Leman

Ah, one of those European Americans. Whatever happened to just being American?

FierceKitty

I think General Custer tried to put an end to that.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

fsn

I know it's not a hook, but this is a fascinating video.

Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

fsn

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015

Leman

It might actually be a hook if your into that sort of thing.

FierceKitty

I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Techno

I keep my into in one of our sheds.
(It probably just needs a quick spray with WD40 to get it working 'proper', again.)

Cheers - Phil

kipt

Finished volume 3 of "Wargaming in History: Gettysburg 1863" by John Drewienkiewicz and Adam Poole.

Great! I loved it.

Leman

Steve J

Encyclopaedia of Dates and Events, a teach yourself book that I had as a teenager. Taking it along for our holiday flight as it is great for just opening a random page and away you go. It covers from c.5000 BC to 1970, so plenty to keep me occupied on the flight.

fsn

I'm loving the "Waterloo: The Decisive Victory" from Osprey.

Yes, I have many, many books about Waterloo. The first (and my favourite) was the David Howarth classic "Waterloo: A Near Run Thing" in about 1970, but it was my birthday recently and the lovely people who I work with gave me book tokens, so it was off to Waterstones for me!

This Osprey offering (brought out fro the 200th Anniversary) is more a collection of essays from different writers that tell the story rather than a single narrative. However, it is sumptuous. 416 pages of high quality printing in a slip case with many, many illustrations.

This is not a book you'd take onto a beach. It is more than a coffee table book. It even has it's own ribbon book mark. Now that's class.

Content? Oh, I haven't read a word yet. Just adored the volume.