What are you currently reading ?

Started by goat major, 03 November 2012, 06:40:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leman

Quote from: fsn on 17 July 2016, 09:04:51 AM
I read that book. Interesting, but as you say, a bit light on the Bourbons.

Smallish battles and without the big names this Peninsula campaign is quite game-able. 
If it's light on the Bourbons then let's hope it's a little more generous with the Custard Creams! Tee-hee.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

cameronian

Don't buy your daughters a pony, buy them heroin instead, its cheaper and ultimately less addictive.

KTravlos

I finished Kissinger's "A World Restored". This is Kissinger before he got actively into politics and committed crimes. Its an interesting read, not so much as a story of Vienna systems creation and early days, but more on the musings on conservatism. A good read for all grappling with the question "What does conservatism mean in the 21st century".

Next up in work read David Kings, Vienna 1814

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Howard Tayler: Schlock Mercanary/Force Multiplication

Excellent print of my favourite webcomic. :)
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Duke Speedy of Leighton

2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Fenton

If I were creating Pendraken I wouldn't mess about with Romans and  Mongols  I would have started with Centurions , eight o'clock, Day One!

Duke Speedy of Leighton

;D
Nowt in it fer 6 week, so bostin!

KTravlos

I finished David King's "Vienna 1814". It was a charming book. He is a good writer. It is the kind of gossipy history I enjoy a lot. While not a perfect history of the political and military events , it was a great study of the Congress as a social event, and of the personalities. Full of lots of cool anecdotes, it brings to life a lot of the events I read in more straight political-diplomatic history treatments. Despite being a breezy read it has a massive and excellent amount of notes, and a great, great annotated bibliography.

He writes the way I would like to write, though I can never do that  due to conventions of the field.

Anyway, if you are looking for a charming summer read I recommend it fully.
Next up, another book on the congress. "Fun" reading trying to finish Kondylis "Global Policy after the Cold War" in Greek, and then probably Reynolds "Shattering Empires"

Leman

Lemmy, you need to get milking if your dairy is currently empty.

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Tenby soon, reading Mortiem et Gloria rules! :D

Leman

Those rules are very expensive. Tenby eh; many happy memories of Kiln Park.

Techno

Quote from: mad lemmey on 29 July 2016, 07:03:07 PM
Tenby soon, reading Mortiem et Gloria rules! :D

Hope you get your day pass, Will.  ;)

Cheers - Phil

kipt

Finished Vol. 80, No. 2 of "The Journal of Military History". 

A couple of the article's are:
"Technology and Tradition: Mine Warfare and the Royal Navy's Strategy of Coastal Assault"
and "Fighting under a Different Flag: Multinational Naval Cooperation and Submarine Warfare in the Mediterranean, 1940-1944".

Ithoriel

I'm concurrently reading -

"The Sumerians: A History From Beginning To End" by Henry Freeman on my PC Kindle during long sea voyages in Naval Action

Mark Urban's "Tank War" in the living room during TV ad breaks

"Sword of Destiny" by Adrzej Sapkowski, part of the Witcher series of fantasy novels, in the dining area while waiting for things to cook

Can't decide if that's multitasking or lack of focus!
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021