What are you currently reading ?

Started by goat major, 03 November 2012, 06:40:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roy

I've not read them, to be honest.

I spotted the cards, thought they might come in useful when adapting things for games, looked at the picture of the figures and thought to myself that the photography set up looked familiar, checked the article's author and had to have a think what your surname was. After all that, I then realised it was yourself.

Not looked at any rules, played any games, painted anything for myself, since that last game of Frostgrave at your house. Still sorting myself out after things ran away from me, and I'm de-cluttering my head as well as the hobby pile.
princeps Roy , prince de Monacorra, (ascended in February 2023)
His Serene Highness the Sovereign Prince of (the imaginary sovereign microstate of) Monacorra

All Hail the Principality of Monacorra!  8-}

Subedai

Quote from: Westmarcher on 25 June 2016, 08:29:04 PM
Currently reading Swords for Hire by James Miller. This is about Scots in the 16th and 17th centuries who left Scotland to earn a living fighting in mainland Europe. Some sought fame and fortune while others were fleeing justice and hardship. Its a fascinating read touching on many battles, sieges, incidents and small actions, most of which I've never heard of before and with new personalities surfacing in almost every page, the book certainly gives the impression it is very well-researched. I'm still reading my way through the book so but so far it's quite good.

P.S. Interestingly, in one chapter, we are told that the south eastern shore of the Baltic, especially Poland and Prussia, became the destination of choice for 16th Century Scots emigrants and workers. In Danzig, for example, over 120 Scots became city burgesses with one of its suburbs known as Stary Szkoty (Old Scotland). Indeed, the Scots were so ubiquitous around the whole region that this prompted someone to assert during a Westminster parliamentary debate in 1606 on the possibility of a union with Scotland, that "If we admit them .... we shall be overrun with them ... witness the multiplicities of the Scots in Polonia."   Sound familiar?

There was a unit of 6-700 made up of Scotsmen (from Holland rather than Scotland) and commanded by Scotsmen at the Battle of Lubieszow near Gdansk in 1577 against the Poles. (http://www.electricscotland.com/history/prussia/part2-1.htm)   
Blog is at
http://thewordsofsubedai.blogspot.co.uk/

2017 Paint-Off - Winner!

Westmarcher

That looks quite interesting, Sub. I'll try to read that later. Indeed, Lubieszow is mentioned in the book. The author says the battle was fought on 17 April 1577 with the Poles inflicting a seemingly crushing defeat on the Danzigers. However, Zborowski, the Polish commander had too few troops to mount a fresh attack on the city and while he awaited reinforcements the Danzigers used the lull to recruit more foreign soldiers, among them a Captain William Rentoun who, in July 1577, was licensed by the Edinburgh Privy Council to raise 150 men for "the service of the citie and commoun wealth of Danskin." He goes on to say that "Rentoun and his men joined Scots already there to make the contingent up to some seven hundred, most of whom had come from the Low Countries  under the command of Colonel William Stewart. "  So, there you go.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

fsn

I've just bought "The American Civil War HAndbook" on Amazon for £2 and a packet of Trebor mints.

I've always enjoyed the ACW. This book may rekindle my interest so that the part painted pile marked ACW comes out and the current project gets shoved into a box for a while.  :(
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You forgot to review the Trebor mints!  :o
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

Review of Trebor Mints - they come in a paper packet with metal foil, are small, round, white and made of sugar.

IanS
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Westmarcher

But never, ever get them from the library.   :-&
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

KTravlos

Finished "1915". A very interesting book on the Greek National Schism (in Greek) and a very sobering one. Led me to some thoughts concerning intellectual links between the polarization of "1915" and of Brexit. You can read them at

http://blog.irstohasmoi.com/2016/06/the-brexit-and-1915.html

Next up: Lots of work reading :( Need to read Nuno Monteiro "Theory of Unipolar Politics" for a potential book review piece. Next fun reading will be Reynolds" Shattering Empires".

Really need a break. But if publications come I will get drunk of expensive champagne academic poverty be damned!

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Leman

Have borrowed a copy of Patrols in the Sudan to see if it floats my boat.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

Steve J

Wargaming 19thC Europe 1815-1878 by Neil Thomas. A quick glance through on arrival home and it looks to be very nice. I really hope that these provide nice rules for some small scale mid 19thC games. From what I've seen so far I'm hopefull...

KTravlos

Thanks mad lemmey, feel free to share

Steve J. They are excellent. If BBB had not come out those would be my rules of choice.

Steve J

QuoteThey are excellent. If BBB had not come out those would be my rules of choice.

I see them being used for smaller actions where I want seperate skirmishers and/or to use with numerous scenario books I have. I will continue with BBB as well as they are excellent rules.

FierceKitty

Reading a couple of uniform guides for SYW. Badly written, but there's some useful information. Did everyone else know that the Le Noble Jaeger had rifles already? Bad news for the Austrians.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Leman

Quote from: Steve J on 28 June 2016, 08:17:50 PM
Wargaming 19thC Europe 1815-1878 by Neil Thomas. A quick glance through on arrival home and it looks to be very nice. I really hope that these provide nice rules for some small scale mid 19thC games. From what I've seen so far I'm hopefull...
They do give a good quick game, and the armies are bathtubbed so the forces are manageable. I played the Nachod scenario a couple of weeks ago and got a result in two hours.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!