What are you currently reading ?

Started by goat major, 03 November 2012, 06:40:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FierceKitty

Quote from: nikharwood on 01 June 2016, 10:34:54 PM

The Code of the Woosters (again)

"Advise me, Jeeves", I yipped. "The Imperial Guard is about to break, and Tuppy, that man of wrath, is advancing his Highland Brigade. Things are looking really sticky!"
   "They might appear a trifle adhesive, sir. But perhaps if were to deploy d'Erlon's from Le Haye Sainte and menace Mr Glossop's flank, he might be inclined to reevaluate his tactics."
   I looked again, and by gad, the stout fellow was right as ever. If Tuppy didn't r. his t. with a threatened flank, no t. would ever be r. again. As my Aunt Agatha often remarks, "You will usually find, Bertram, that there are two courses of action open to your enemy. Of these, he will probably choose the third."....

Doesn't really work.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

nikharwood

Quote from: FierceKitty on 07 June 2016, 11:12:18 AM
   "Advise me, Jeeves", I yipped. "The Imperial Guard is about to break, and Tuppy, that man of wrath, is advancing his Highland Brigade. Things are looking really sticky!"
   "They might appear a trifle adhesive, sir. But perhaps if were to deploy d'Erlon's from Le Haye Sainte and menace Mr Glossop's flank, he might be inclined to reevaluate his tactics."
   I looked again, and by gad, the stout fellow was right as ever. If Tuppy didn't r. his t. with a threatened flank, no t. would ever be r. again. As my Aunt Agatha often remarks, "You will usually find, Bertram, that there are two courses of action open to your enemy. Of these, he will probably choose the third."....

Doesn't really work.

Genius, FK, genius. I applaud you  :) =D> =O =D>

kipt

Finished "The Studnitz Wars: The Wartime Journals of a Prussian Cavalry General 1849-71", translated by Gilbert von Studnitz.  Interesting but more of a military travelog.

Just as interesting to me is that the translator, the General's great grandson, lives about 15 miles from where I live.  Will have to see if he is interested in the hobby.

FierceKitty

I 'phoned Angus MacBride when I was tipped off we were neighbours. Had a pleasant chat, but he didn't bite.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

KTravlos

Finished the first of seven books

Harold Nicholson "The Congress of Vienna" A Study of Allied Unity". A very interesting chap by the way, as was his wife. The book is an easy read, even with taking notes for my research, I finished it in about a week. It not so much a study of Vienna, as a study of Castlereagh at Vienna. The writer, correctly in my view, is very supportive of Castlereagh, though I would not call it a complete hagiography (at times it does veer to it). Very pro-British and full of the "charming" (depending on the reader) generalizations loved by people of the 1900-1950 period. Still a good intro read. Next is that Metternich wannabe, Kissinger.

mollinary

Quote from: KTravlos on 12 June 2016, 07:49:09 PM
Next is that Metternich wannabe, Kissinger.

I read Kissinger's biography of Metternich when I was at University.  It revealed as much about Kissinger as it did about Metternich, but it was still a fascinating and magnificent piece of work.

Mollinary
2021 Painting Competition - Winner!
2022 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up!

fsn

Just received a trio from Amazon: "Infantry Tank Warfare", "Cruiser Tank Warfare" and "British Anti-Tank Warfare", all by John Plant. I think they're self published. There are no photographs, but there are lots of pictures of Infantry Tanks around. Interesting way of slicing a well known subject. So far (and I'm just up to Operation Compass in the Infantry Tanks volume) it's a good read.

Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Bodvoc

Just got "Poseidon's Warriors" by  John Lambshead. Just had a quick glance so far but these seem a well written fast play set of rules which is exactly what I was after. I have about 12 Navwar Trireme's but these rules set up for squdrons of 1-5 ships, several squadron s per side.
There is also a useful historical recap of naval warfare in this time plus armylists.
Well recommended so far :)
'If I throw a six I'll do my happy dance'!

2016 Painting Competition - People's Choice!

paulr

Quote from: Bodvoc on 18 June 2016, 07:30:05 PM
Just got "Poseidon's Warriors" by  John Lambshead. Just had a quick glance so far but these seem a well written fast play set of rules which is exactly what I was after. I have about 12 Navwar Trireme's but these rules set up for squdrons of 1-5 ships, several squadron s per side.
There is also a useful historical recap of naval warfare in this time plus armylists.
Well recommended so far :)

That sounds VERY interesting, I am keen to see a review and AAR once you have used them
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Leman

The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

Steve J

One Hour Wargames by Neil Thomas. A quick read through last night and they look to provide fun, short games, which is perfect for some situations. I like the fact that he sets out his stall early on so you know his reasoning behind his design philosophy. The scenarios look good too.

Chris Pringle

"Remember you are an Englishman", Joseph Lehmann's biography of Sir Harry Smith, notable Rifles officer, victor of Aliwal etc.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sir_Harry_Smith,_1st_Baronet

Having recently watched some of the Sharpe series (Sharpe's Rifles, etc) it's been interesting to spot episodes in Smith's career that Bernard Cornwell evidently drew on for Sharpe's.

Chris

Bloody Big BATTLES!
https://uk.groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/BBB_wargames/info

Leman

That sounds interesting. I may yet be tempted to have a go at the BBB Waterloo scenario.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

KTravlos

Finished Fuat Dundar's book "Modern Turkey's Code" in its greek translation. No English translation exists. A difficult but very interesting book on the events in the Balkans and Anatolia in the 1913-1918 period. Worth translating. Very depressing at points. Spurred some thinking from em and a long reaction post on my "work" blog. These are english and osme of you might find them interesting.

http://blog.irstohasmoi.com/2016/06/some-thoughts-in-reaction-to-reading.html

Next up, Yeorgios Mavrogordatos book on the 1915 events in Greece titled, "1915: The National Schism", in greek.

Tawa

Currently reading "Sniper on the Eastern Front".
Well that went down like a lead baboon......

O.P.E (Oik of the Pendraken Empire) - 2015 Honours List.