What are you currently reading ?

Started by goat major, 03 November 2012, 06:40:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leman

Having a little break from Sharpe by starting the Conn Iggulden Wars of the Roses series.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

Bodvoc

I am about 100 pages in to the 3rd of that Wars of the Roses series, 'Bloodline' and I am enjoying it very much. Bills, bows and bloodshed, what is not to like! :)
'If I throw a six I'll do my happy dance'!

2016 Painting Competition - People's Choice!

T13A

Hi

Re-reading for about the 4th time, Jac Weller's 'Wellington in the Peninsular'. Good over view of the conflict but a bit dated (originally published in 1962). Don't know if I'm getting more critical in my old age but I used to be a big fan of Weller's books but the Duke really can do no wrong (or very little at Least) in the authors eyes, I think he also over does the effectiveness of British infantry firepower. That said all very readable.

Cheers Paul
T13A Out!

nikharwood

Spycatcher (again)
The Little Drummer Girl (again)
The Code of the Woosters (again)

KTravlos

Finished reading "Iron Kingdom" by Christopher Clarke. It was an enjoyable book, but not as good as "Sleepwalkers". That said it has led me to re-access the reign of Frederick William IV, and Prussia during the Weimar years, and it has further confirmed my understanding of the political system of the German Empire. It has also confirmed by prejudices about 1866. Not happy with the mistake on Tannenberg, especially since a chapter before it was correctly identified.

Still reading Goertz, Diehl and Balas "The Puzzle of Peace" for work. Its a good book on how changing territorial norms have made interstate war less likely.

I missed reading Greek, so next up is the greek translation of Fuat Dundar's book "The Secret Code of Modern Turkey", a book on the nationalities politics of the CUP or "191" a new book by historian Yorgos Mavrogordatos on the National Schism.

Once "The Puzzle of Peace" is done, I have to read 8 books on the Vienna congress for a paper.

Still need to finish the Embree book on 1848-1849 in Italy. Its in the backburner together with Volume 15 of the O'Brien Series.

cameronian

Must say I thought 'The Iron Kingdom' was top notch.
Don't buy your daughters a pony, buy them heroin instead, its cheaper and ultimately less addictive.

kipt

Finished "Napoleon and the Struggle for Germany: the Franco-Prussian War of 1813; Volume 1: The War of Liberation, Spring 1813" by Michael Leggiere.

Well detailed but like so many other books, the maps do not always contain the names and locations of places mentioned in the text.

Leman

Back to Sharpe - that Conn Iggulden book isn't instantly gripping.

fsn

Just started John Julius Norwich's "Sicily".

Been quite fascinated by the way the island has been at the centre of numerous clashes of civilisations; but I think the book is going to be a little superficial fro my taste.
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Steve J

Osprey's Pike & Shotte Tactics. About half way through and a nice little guide to this period that is perfect for me and my wargaming plans :)

Leman

Sharpe's Fury - I can't put these buggers down!

KTravlos

I always said that Sean Bean dies in almost all the films and TV series he plays in order to atone for his survival rate as Sharpe.  ;D

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Leman

Quote from: KTravlos on 05 June 2016, 07:58:27 PM
I always said that Sean Bean dies in almost all the films and TV series he plays in order to atone for his survival rate as Sharpe.  ;D
Indeed KT, at the moment his brain is hanging out in Cadiz - literally!  :-&

KTravlos

Finished Goer, Diehl and Balas "The Puzzle of Peace". It is a readable example of political science done for the lay-person. I am supportive of the argument, but unhappy with some of the statements. Also since this is for the lay-person the quantitative models are a bit too simple for me. Still a worthy addition to my library.

And thus I am know forced to begin the heavy reading for a project
David King, Vienna 1814
Dorothy Gies McGuigan, Metternich and teh Duchess
Mark Jarrett, The Congress of Vienna and its Legacy
Harold Nicolson, The Congress of Vienna
Henry Kissinger, A World Restored
Adam Zamoyski, Rites of Peace
Paul Schroeder, The Transformation of European Politics (Again)

must be read by the end of summer if I am to stick to my research plan.

KT