What are you currently reading ?

Started by goat major, 03 November 2012, 06:40:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

skywalker

Ardennes 1944 Hitlers Last Gamble by Antony Beevor

Leman

The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

JaymisHawk

The War of The Flowers by Tad Williams  :D
"It'll be fine!" - The last words the misses heard me utter before Cthulhu devoured us in Arkham Horror!

toxicpixie

Currently working my way back through Ian M Banks' sci fi collection. It's very good! Although Excession still wasn't quite so hot as the others (to me). Something just doesn't quite bite with it.
I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

Bodvoc

Battle for Britain: Wargame the English Civil War by Peter Dennis and Andy Callan.

I got this cheap from Amazon out of curiosity and I rather like it. The book is a well set out collection of paper soldiers to make and then play a wargame with. There are actually 2 sets of rules in the book, a decent looking set for the experienced gamer and a simplified version for the beginner. There is a little bit of useful information interspersed with the instructions on making the paper soldier s butit is not the aim of this book to give a historical account of the ECW.
To actually make the paper soldiers you are supposed to seperate all the pages, colour copy them and cut and assemble the copies. You also get paper buildings and trees to make, thus a whole wargame in a book.
As I am currently painting 15mm ECW (one of 3 ongoing projects) I doubt I would ever make the paper soldiers but the rules look good enough to try.
I shall keep this book as a book to flick through and enjoy the illustration which are lovely with a charm all of their own. I may adapt the buildings into 15mm at some point.
Overall, I like this book and may get some of the others in the series based on Hastings and the Wars of the Roses.
'If I throw a six I'll do my happy dance'!

2016 Painting Competition - People's Choice!

FierceKitty

Empire of the Moghul. Rather shabby writing, to tell the truth.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Techno

Listening to "Night Raid" by Taylor Downing.

Thoroughly enjoying it....and learning quite a lot !

Cheers - Phil

Leman

Boxed that off, on to Sharpe's Fortress. I am quite pleased I had never read many Sharpe books before as this enables me to see his character develop.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

AndyT

"Orcs"(First Blood, omnibus edition) by Stan Nicholls.

Quite a good read. Plenty of battle action where orc warbands ride horses rather than the "traditional" wolves and are similar in some ways to real life Hun or Mongolian horsemen. Humans are the bad guys and many other traditional fantasy races are included.

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

DaveH

Quote from: Leman on 17 May 2016, 08:20:44 AM
Boxed that off, on to Sharpe's Fortress. I am quite pleased I had never read many Sharpe books before as this enables me to see his character develop.
You are addicted now!

cameronian

Been reading an old copy of 'A day in the life of Ivan Denisovich', means nothing to my students, 'USSR ??'
O tempora ...
Don't buy your daughters a pony, buy them heroin instead, its cheaper and ultimately less addictive.

kipt

Finished "The Coast Artillery War Game (1916): Early Naval Wargaming" by Major William Chamberlaine.

This is part of the History of Wargaming Project (www.wargaming.co),

The game was used to train coast artillery officers of the USA.  Seems it was used in conjunction with the Fred Jane War Game and ship plans from Jane's Fighting Ships.

FierceKitty

Quote from: cameronian on 18 May 2016, 11:10:55 PM
Been reading an old copy of 'A day in the life of Ivan Denisovich', means nothing to my students, 'USSR ??'
O tempora ...

Some comfort in the fact that it is being forgotten, I suppose. Some.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

cameronian

'Fools Frauds and Firebrands' Roger Scruton, seriously good.
Don't buy your daughters a pony, buy them heroin instead, its cheaper and ultimately less addictive.